New --Having Pre-Chemo

GenieM27
GenieM27 Member Posts: 30
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi I'm new to this board and have been reading all the wonderful information on here. On November 24, 2009 I was diagnosed with IDC Breast Cancer. I had a breast MRI & PET Scan which confirmed that I had one tumor 3.1 cm and a 2-3 small ones in the lower quadrant of my left breast. The tests showed no signs of cancer in my lymph nodes. My surgeon seems to think my tumor is larger than what the test is showing and my oncologist seems to agree. Because of the size of the tumor and the location (it's close to the breast wall) I will receive Chemo before surgery. Chemo will be 4 treatments every 2 weeks. Then surgery, possibly chemo after too, depending on how the tumor responds to the pre-chemo.

My question is..has anyone had Chemo before their surgery? With my treatments being every 2 weeks do you think I will be active? Did you take off work the entire time (I work in an office environment) or did you work when you felt good? Chemo is such an unknown for me. I'm trying to read as much as I can, so I can have idea of what to expect. I know everyone responds differently to chemo too.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Welcome, Genie
    I didn't have chemo before surgery, but there are lots of women here who have, and I know they'll post soon.

It would help if you can tell us which chemo drugs you'll be getting -- there are quite a few different chemo "cocktails," and side effects can be somewhat different with each one -- and you're right, the drugs affect everyone a little differently, too.

I just want to say welcome and good for you for being proactive and coming here and getting all the information you can about your diagnosis.

Traci
  • GenieM27
    TraciInLA said:

Welcome, Genie
    I didn't have chemo before surgery, but there are lots of women here who have, and I know they'll post soon.

It would help if you can tell us which chemo drugs you'll be getting -- there are quite a few different chemo "cocktails," and side effects can be somewhat different with each one -- and you're right, the drugs affect everyone a little differently, too.

I just want to say welcome and good for you for being proactive and coming here and getting all the information you can about your diagnosis.

Traci

Thanks for the welcome
    My treatment is Dose Dense chemo A+C every 2 weeks for 4 weeks followed by 12 weeks of taxol.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I have IBC and was diagnosed
    I have IBC and was diagnosed Aug 2009.

I had 4 doses of A/C, 2 weeks apart, before surgery and am now on Taxol. With the A/C I had no nausea at all, some tiredness (but not bad) which got a bit worse with each dose. My eyes were dry and 'runny', nose would just start pouring clear liquid out like a faucet had been turned on. It did shrink the a lot and there were good margins and lymph had also shrunk a lot when surgery was done which hadn't been before. Surgery was 2 weeks after the last A/C and Taxol started 3 weeks after surgery. So far I've had 5 weekly doses ot Taxol with 7 to go. It has been worse as sleep doesn't come without pills and I'm a lot tireder but have had no bone pain or neuropthy so far. Plans are for 6 weeks (5 days a week) radiation after Taxol. I see the Chemo Dr next Thurs before chemo and the surgeon aftger so should know a bit more then

Good luck and remember that we are each unique in how our bodies react.

Susan
  • pgrace35
    pgrace35 Member Posts: 122
    Welcome Genie!
    I did not have chemo prior to surgery and I had it every 3 weeks. My experience was, I would do chemo on weds, work thrus & fri, be down all weekend, back to work mon. My side effects would last about 7 days. But everyone is different. My job is pretty physical, you might fare pretty well since you have an office job. My best advice if you can and feel up to it is some form of exercise and eat well, even if you can't taste it, it helped me immensely with energy. Don't over do it by any means, listen to your body.Good luck to you, we are all behind you!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I had tumors of 6cm, 3cm and
    I had tumors of 6cm, 3cm and another smaller one. I had 4 cycles of A/C chemo before surgery to shrink the tumors. This was once every three weeks. Then modified radical mastectomy and 4 cycles of Taxotere once every three weeks. Then radiation for 6 weeks. I got extremely sick with both chemos. I didn't work but if I had I wouldn't have been able to. But this is how I remember it. I had treatment in 2003 and 2004. The memory is fading a bit. If I were you I'd at least take the day of treatment off till you see how it affects you. Good luck with your treatment.
  • mberg
    mberg Member Posts: 62
    chemo first
    I had 6 chemos before my surgery. I did take quite a bit of the early time off of work, more because I had a very low white blood cell count and was very fatigued than anything else. I work in health care as a phlebotomist in a lab, so I am constantly exposed to nasty germs and my onco was very limiting with when I could work. I was on carboplatin, taxotere and herceptin. My tumors were very large, the largest about 6 cm with 2 smaller in another area and metastasis to the lymph nodes. I had surgery (the first one) Nov 20th with pathology reports of no cancer left after chemo. They found "footprints" in 6 nodes where cancer had been, but it was all melted away. I had another surgery this past Monday to clean up the edges of my skin and re stitch the area for faster, better healing. It is a tough road with the chemo, but it is sooo worth it when it does it's job!! I am hoping to return to work in mid January. I hope this answered some of your questions! monica
  • GenieM27
    Thank you so much for the nice welcome and information!
    I can't thank you enough for this information. You're right it is an unknown. Someone else was telling me that even if I felt better, I still should stay home to avoid crowds to avoid catching germs from others.

Anyway, your support is like a warm blanket wrapped around me. Thanks so much. Genie. :)
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    GenieM27 said:

Thank you so much for the nice welcome and information!
    I can't thank you enough for this information. You're right it is an unknown. Someone else was telling me that even if I felt better, I still should stay home to avoid crowds to avoid catching germs from others.

Anyway, your support is like a warm blanket wrapped around me. Thanks so much. Genie. :)

Genie, you're very welcome
    Genie, you're very welcome here even tho no one wants to be here. Sounds like your docs have a good plan, shrink the tumors some before surgery. I haven't had chemo yet, but had hormone therapy to reduce my tumors and will have surgery soon. Then radiation and maybe chemo to make sure there is nothing left. Everyone says chemo is doable, and we have to fight this beast very aggressively. Keep posting and let us know how you're doing.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Sunrae said:

Genie, you're very welcome
    Genie, you're very welcome here even tho no one wants to be here. Sounds like your docs have a good plan, shrink the tumors some before surgery. I haven't had chemo yet, but had hormone therapy to reduce my tumors and will have surgery soon. Then radiation and maybe chemo to make sure there is nothing left. Everyone says chemo is doable, and we have to fight this beast very aggressively. Keep posting and let us know how you're doing.

HI
    Just want to say hi and welcome Genie. You will find lots of info and support on this site.

KYLEZ ♥
  • denbralou
    denbralou Member Posts: 66
    Kylez said:

HI
    Just want to say hi and welcome Genie. You will find lots of info and support on this site.

KYLEZ ♥

Pre-Chemo
    Just wanted to say hi Genie. I am having pre-chemo. I am starting next Monday. My doctors want to shrink the tumor and then do my masectomy. I went to three different surgeons and got different opinions from each of them, but from reading and doing research, this is the route I want to go.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    I had chemo before surgery,
    I had chemo before surgery, I had inflammatory breast cancer and I had weekly chemo treatments. I was lucky enough to work at home, but some days were tough. You may need to apply for family medical leave to protect you job. I did not have too may problems with chemo, but i did experience fatigue, constipation, hair loss....and i think we have all suffered through that. i wish you luck and welcome to our family.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Warm welcome, GenieM27
    Chemo is different for everyone. Common side effects are predictable - others are not.

Best advice: lean heavily on your medical team. Don't hesitate to ask questions, and lots of them. And importantly, implement their advice. The suggestion to perhaps schedule a few days off right around your first treatment is a wise one: day of, and at least the day after. Or, if at all possible, schedule your treatments for Fridays. Then, you'll have the weekend to recover a bit - if necessary.

Drink lots of water throughout! Gets the chemo where it needs to go; then, also helps to flush the drugs from your system once they've done their job.

Chemo isn't easy - yet, it is doable. Many here have already been there, done that - as I did. We'll accompany you each step of the way.

Best wishes to you.
  • girls4444
    girls4444 Member Posts: 34
    chemo before surgery
    I am doing chemo before surgery to shrink a 6 cm tumor and two other small tumors. I have completed two rounds of chemo which are two weeks apart and then 12 weeks straight after that, it sound like the same treatment you are getting.
    After the 1st chemo I felt fine but the 2nd one was rougher, I have been suffering from headaches, diaherra, loss of appetite and just plain tired. I did shave my head yesterday because after chemo #2 my hair was falling out by the handful. I did cut back to part time. But everyone is different. Good luck
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    girls4444 said:

chemo before surgery
    I am doing chemo before surgery to shrink a 6 cm tumor and two other small tumors. I have completed two rounds of chemo which are two weeks apart and then 12 weeks straight after that, it sound like the same treatment you are getting.
    After the 1st chemo I felt fine but the 2nd one was rougher, I have been suffering from headaches, diaherra, loss of appetite and just plain tired. I did shave my head yesterday because after chemo #2 my hair was falling out by the handful. I did cut back to part time. But everyone is different. Good luck

I want to wish you good luck
    I want to wish you good luck with chemo. It isn't easy, but, you can do it. We will help to support you and to listen to you. Good luck!

Hugs
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    girls4444 said:

chemo before surgery

Wishing you good luck too
    Wishing you good luck too Girls4444!
  • Lynda53
    Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
    Hi Genie, I am having chem before surgery
    I had 2+ infusions of a,c and taxotere. I had to stop due to a bad reaction to the taxo, but am seeing an allergist to get me back on it ASAP.
    ( ut's been almost 6 weeks)
    I advise pre chemo pills as well as post chemo.
    I was not ill on the 3 treatments, although I was very tired.
    Best wishes.
    Peace