OUCH..too much saline in expanders

Kim59
Kim59 Member Posts: 43
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Had too much saline put in my expanders and within 2 days my incisions were draining and red. Started on antibiotics. Was at the surgeons 3 times this week and finally the decision was made to take out the expanders and put the saline implants in. At this point I don't care what size implants...no more stretching!! The downside is I now have to postpone starting chemo. I was actually looking forward to getting chemo started. The sooner the better to destroy the beast.
Anyone having your expanders filled be aware of how much the surgeon puts in. You can only stretch so far.

Anyone have any experience with saline implants and the effects of chemo on the implant. I heard it could destort the implant?

Kim

Comments

• MCJ
    MCJ Member Posts: 59
    my wife has an expander and
    my wife has an expander and the second visit to pump in the saline they put in two bags I think it was 150 mils not sure though, we did some yard work and she raked a little, she noticed redness at the incision, recieved antibiotics, now all is fine, will do second dose of chemo the 15th
    not sure on the effect of chemo on implants sorry

Jerry
  • tigger99
    tigger99 Member Posts: 44
    It's radiation that can
    It's radiation that can distort implants, not chemo. Radiation can damage the silicone "containers" for the implant, the outer skin.
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    tigger99 said:

It's radiation that can
    It's radiation that can distort implants, not chemo. Radiation can damage the silicone "containers" for the implant, the outer skin.

I went through chemo and
    I went through chemo and radiation with an expander in and no problem...but now that radiation is over, I'm having a lot of muscle cramps...I guess from the tissue healing itself from the radiation...
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    dyaneb123 said:

I went through chemo and
    I went through chemo and radiation with an expander in and no problem...but now that radiation is over, I'm having a lot of muscle cramps...I guess from the tissue healing itself from the radiation...

Oh my Kim. I think most of
    Oh my Kim. I think most of the problems are with rads and saline implants. You can have the expanders with radiation treatments as far as I know. Good luck!

Debby