chemo

hamish1
hamish1 Member Posts: 34
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Since I had the lumpectomy and one lymph node removed Nov. 18, 2009, I decided to wait until after Christmas to begin the treatments, now I'm worrying, am I waiting too long? The doctors seem to think it's ok.

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    If you trust your doctors,
    If you trust your doctors, then I would assume it is ok. If you don't, then I would get a second opinion on waiting. I don't really know. But, that would be nice for you to be able to wait until after the holiday. Good luck!
  • lhb200
    lhb200 Member Posts: 14
    cemo
    I had a lumpectomy in Nov of 2002 and I waited until after Christmas to start my treatments. It was hard for me because I wanted to get things going. I am not a patient person!! If your Doctors say it is ok then I guess you have to go along with what they tell you!! We ahve to put our lives in their hands!!
    Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and believe me I know how you feel. Even in a room full of people your mind is always on the cancer.
    It does get better you can trust me on that one!!
    You are in my prayers!!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I would go with what your
    I would go with what your doctors recommend. If waiting was a problem one would hope they'd tell you that. If they agreed that waiting was not a problem, then enjoy the holidays and gain your strength for your bc fight in 2010. We'll be right there alongside you.
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    MyTurnNow said:

I would go with what your
    I would go with what your doctors recommend. If waiting was a problem one would hope they'd tell you that. If they agreed that waiting was not a problem, then enjoy the holidays and gain your strength for your bc fight in 2010. We'll be right there alongside you.

Ditto to the previous posts.
    Ditto to the previous posts. If the drs thought you had an agressive cancer they would have probably urged you to start chemo immediately. So enjoy the season and rest up for the coming treatments. And let us know how your doing.
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    hamish1
    I also made the decision to hold off on further treatment until next year. Between the poking,prodding,scanning,port installation,&Chemo in the last 4 months, I just felt the need to take a break! You need your body to be in tip top shape for the Chemo. Let your body rest & recoup and definetely enjoy the holidays! My last Chemo was on 10/26 and had the Lumpectomy 11/30, that extra time made all the difference in the world. I felt ready for the surgery after being wiped out from the Chemo. Besides-you really didn't want to spend the holidays sick, tired, and not able to taste or enjoy all the goodies didja? It's your body and you know it best. If the docs say ok then don't worry!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Cat64 said:

hamish1
    I also made the decision to hold off on further treatment until next year. Between the poking,prodding,scanning,port installation,&Chemo in the last 4 months, I just felt the need to take a break! You need your body to be in tip top shape for the Chemo. Let your body rest & recoup and definetely enjoy the holidays! My last Chemo was on 10/26 and had the Lumpectomy 11/30, that extra time made all the difference in the world. I felt ready for the surgery after being wiped out from the Chemo. Besides-you really didn't want to spend the holidays sick, tired, and not able to taste or enjoy all the goodies didja? It's your body and you know it best. If the docs say ok then don't worry!
    Hugz,
    Cathy

Just wishing you good luck
    Just wishing you good luck and a Merry Christmas!

♠♣ Christmas Susie ♠♣
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    I have heard
    that they do like to start chemo within 3 months of surgery, so you'll still be well within that time frame.

I had my lumpectomy on 10/12 and will begin chemo on 12/16, so I'm sure your time frame will be just fine.
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    I had the same worry...I had
    I had the same worry...I had my lumpectomy 2nd surgery on 6/26 and had my port put in on 8/4, started chemo on 8/12. My doctor said not a problem with waiting. Enjoy your Christmas and rest up.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Sher43009 said:

I had the same worry...I had
    I had the same worry...I had my lumpectomy 2nd surgery on 6/26 and had my port put in on 8/4, started chemo on 8/12. My doctor said not a problem with waiting. Enjoy your Christmas and rest up.

had surgery in July did not
    had surgery in July did not start chemo until end of august, the docs would not tell it was ok if it wasnt, ENJOY your holidays!!!!!
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    carkris said:

had surgery in July did not
    had surgery in July did not start chemo until end of august, the docs would not tell it was ok if it wasnt, ENJOY your holidays!!!!!

i had surgery in may my
    i had surgery in may my chemo did not start until july dr told me he wanted me all healed from surgery first. wishing you the best.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    teresa41 said:

i had surgery in may my
    i had surgery in may my chemo did not start until july dr told me he wanted me all healed from surgery first. wishing you the best.

Enjoy your holidays without
    Enjoy your holidays without chemo!

Leeza
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    jnl said:

Enjoy your holidays without
    Enjoy your holidays without chemo!

Leeza

If your oncologist says it
    If your oncologist says it is ok, I would just wait and have a nice xmas.

Angie