Help!!!

lhb200
lhb200 Member Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just found out that my breast cancer has returned. I had a lumpectomy, radiation, and cemo in 2002. My oncologist recommends a mastcetomy with reconstruction.
I have implants and was able to keep the implant in my left breast during radiation.
Is there anyone who has had implants and had to have reconstruction of that breast. was it very painful and did you have to have the breast streached??
I am 65 and am wondering if the reconstruction would be the right decision or should I just have the masectomy?? Did you have to have cemo after the mascetomy??? That part bothers me too!!
I don't want to go through any of this again but God has a reason and I have to believe that !!!
Any words of wisdom pros and cons will be deeply appreciated!!!

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    So sorry......
    What a blow to have to go through this again....I am so sorry....I can't answer anything about the reconstruction,as I had a lumpectomy...... but even with a mastectomy chemo is probably indicated...it is impossible to remove all breast tissue, even with a mastectomy, as breast tissue even extends into your sides under your arm.....
    I have a friend who is 43.....just had a double mastectomy...and she opted because of her age for reconstruction....now she says she wishes she hadn't done it and may have the "stretchers removed......it's just to much she said....she starts her chemo next Thursday...

I wish you well....and Peace be with you
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    MAJW said:

So sorry......
    What a blow to have to go through this again....I am so sorry....I can't answer anything about the reconstruction,as I had a lumpectomy...... but even with a mastectomy chemo is probably indicated...it is impossible to remove all breast tissue, even with a mastectomy, as breast tissue even extends into your sides under your arm.....
    I have a friend who is 43.....just had a double mastectomy...and she opted because of her age for reconstruction....now she says she wishes she hadn't done it and may have the "stretchers removed......it's just to much she said....she starts her chemo next Thursday...

I am so sorry that your bc
    I am so sorry that your bc came back. Praying for you!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    MAJW said:

So sorry......

Chemo after mastectomy
    I am very sorry for recurrence of your cancer. Having Chemo after mastectomy depends on Stage of the cancer, lymph node involvement and onco type of tumor. Until biopsy and pathology is done nobody can predict for sure what recommendations will be made.
    If your oncologist suggests mastectomy I would listen to his/her.

As for reconstruction I had DIEP flap reconstruction, which was decided by plastic surgeon. They can take skin from other parts of your body there is no need to stretch breast skin.
    Good luck
  • ritazimm
    ritazimm Member Posts: 171
    Implant with radiation
    I had a skin sparing modified radical mastectomy with tissue expander reconstruction at the same time (November 15, 2007). At the time we didn't think that I would need radiation but the surgical pathology report showed that I would need it. While I was going through chemo they expanded the tissue expander as large as needed, and then before I could start my radiation, they switched out the expander for a saline implant. I had the saline implant in during radiation and all went well.

This past August I had the DIEP flap surgery. The surgery went very well and I had very little pain. I was amazed at how little pain I had. I expected it to be a lot worse, but then again, I don't have a lot of feeling since the mastectomy so it makes sense that it didn't hurt too much. The flap took well and has had great circulation. I have had some problems with an infection at the site where the drain was but my plastic surgeon doesn't think it is related to the radiation. The radiated skin seems to handling it all very well. Because the mastectomy was skin sparing, I did not need to have the skin stretched, just the muscle. It was painful but for me, nothing extreme. I just took Ibuprofen for the pain and no narcotics.

Hope this helps a little. I know that at this point, every little tidbit that can bring down that stress level is wonderful so I hope you can find some peace.

God bless,
    Rita
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    lhb200
    So sorry that you are on here because of a recurrence. I will be praying for you!

KYLEZ ♥
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    I don't know it this is the same, but I had a right mast june 09. I have bilateral brst implants, so when he did a mast he left the implant in to use as an expander for reconstruct later. The rads doc wanted it out, so general surgeon and he got together and decided to leave the implant. I'm in rads now, #8 so far so good. I had chemo after surgery. It is poss to leave ur implant in and have a total mast. I have a great gen surgeon. He never had done this type of surgery before, so he researched and made a few phone calls to asscioates. I saw him on a Fri and we did surg on Mon.
    Recon doesn't have to take place immediately. I take you've already had one brst removed?
    I am sorry that the beast has come back into ur life, but you are an experienced warrior. We are the army that's with you. Please let me know. I too had wondered about reconstr and implants, but no one had had this situation. Take care Katz
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
    sorry to hear about your
    sorry to hear about your recent dx..I cannot help to answer your questions but please know I am thinking of you...Lisa xo
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    So sorry about your
    So sorry about your reoccurance. Mine also reoccured this year. I had bilateral mastectomy with Latissimus flap reconstruction with expanders in Sept. Lymph nodes were clear on both sides. I had 33 rads and lumpectomy 8 yrs ago. I was on Tamox for almost 5 yrs. Obviously something didn't work. Onc recommending Femara for 5 yrs. I am waiting until reconstruction is complete to deal with deciding on Femara. I also believe God has a good plan for my life. Not sure why I was chosen to have bc twice, but also grateful to have been chosen to be a survivor. You are doing the right thing in learning all you can. This site has been a wonderful source of info and support for me. Take good care of yourself. Marilyn
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808

So sorry about your
    So sorry about your reoccurance. Mine also reoccured this year. I had bilateral mastectomy with Latissimus flap reconstruction with expanders in Sept. Lymph nodes were clear on both sides. I had 33 rads and lumpectomy 8 yrs ago. I was on Tamox for almost 5 yrs. Obviously something didn't work. Onc recommending Femara for 5 yrs. I am waiting until reconstruction is complete to deal with deciding on Femara. I also believe God has a good plan for my life. Not sure why I was chosen to have bc twice, but also grateful to have been chosen to be a survivor. You are doing the right thing in learning all you can. This site has been a wonderful source of info and support for me. Take good care of yourself. Marilyn

So sorry for all of you who
    So sorry for all of you who have went thru this dx twice. I can't imagine how it makes you feel when you hear that the beast has returned. Just when you thought it was dead, it's raised its ugly head again. Haven't had implants but looks like others here have and hope this helps you. Keep us posted as to how you're doing.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    lhb200
    Hello and welcome, although I'm sorry for your recent dx. Very disheartening to have to go through it again...

I had mastectomy, chemo & rads. I did not have reconstruction, so can't answer your questions about that.

You really need to do what feels "right" for you. Some women are not bothered by the fact that they only have one breast (me). However, I must say that I find wearing a prosthesis is a bit uncomfortable after awhile. I always carry a large purse and have been known to take my prosthesis & bra off and throw them in my purse when I'm out. (I don't think anything surprises my family & friends any more...lol!) For that reason, reconstruction may have been a good choice for me, but I am not uncomfortable enough to go through surgery again.

Hugs,

CR
  • pgrace35
    pgrace35 Member Posts: 122
    My heart goes out to you
    I'm so sorry, I wish there was more I could say. Hang in there, all of us are thinking of you.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    pgrace35 said:

My heart goes out to you
    I'm so sorry, I wish there was more I could say. Hang in there, all of us are thinking of you.

Sorry
    I also am so sorry that your bc returned. Wishing you the best of luck.

Debby
  • shortscake
    shortscake Member Posts: 228
    so sorry
    I am so sorry that your breast cancer has returned,keep on putting up the good fight, god will be with you all the way, please come back and let us know how you are doing.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

so sorry
    I am so sorry that your breast cancer has returned,keep on putting up the good fight, god will be with you all the way, please come back and let us know how you are doing.

I am also so very sorry that
    I am also so very sorry that your bc is back. Stay strong and keep fighting. We will be here to help you! Please keep us updated on you.

hugs, leeza