Eyelashes

Kathy09
Kathy09 Member Posts: 99
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Is or has anyone had chemo and ran into a problem with the eyes, red, swollen and watery? I have had this condition now for about 4 months. How long for eyelashes to come back? All medical people say its from chemo will take time.....how much time??? I finished chemo in October. Beginning to wonder if there is not some permanent damage done to my eyes. Thanks for any input on this.

Comments

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Hi Kathy!
    I didn't have chemo, so, I don't know, but, I think I have read where others have had some eye problems while on chemo. I hope they will reply to you. It might too late now for some of them, but, I bet they will tomorrow. Hang in there!

KYLEZ ♥
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    I dont have the problem with
    I dont have the problem with redness but my eyes water all the time. I have also that my vision is not as good as it used to be.
    Deb
  • mizcaldwell
    mizcaldwell Member Posts: 143
    Some of the ladies have
    Some of the ladies have gotten a prescription from their doctors that help eyelashes grow back in. . .but I can't remember the name. I'm sure someone will post it! Hang in there! I've only had two chemo treatments - but my nose has been running and my left eye dripping the whole time!

Don't give up hope - they'll come back!

Lori
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Chemo eyes
    I had the drippy, runny eyes (and nose...I think it was because there was no longer any hair in my nose..lol) I held on to my eyelashes and eyebrows until about a week ago. Now they are falling out like crazy! My last chemo was October 9th so go figure! I thought I was going to be one of the lucky ones to hold on to them, but I guess not!

Patti
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Eye Problems Post Chemo
    Kathy, early on, a chemo nurse told me that if my eyes watered, I needed to drink more water (ironic, I know). Also, when I had my eye exam after chemo, the optometrist told me that chemo and post-chemo menopause cause dry eyes, which then cause blurred vision. She advised OTC eyedrops and gave me a sample of one, Systane Ultra Performance. It has really helped me.

As for the eyelashes, mine grew back thickly but are very short. No length, even 8 months after chemo. The optometrist gave me a prescription for Latrisse. Apparently, it really does work. However, insurance doesn't pay for it, and it costs about $100. I passed on filling the prescription; but, if you're interested, a local optometrist can probably advise you. I would recommend the post-chemo eye exam, anyway.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    pattimc said:

Chemo eyes
    I had the drippy, runny eyes (and nose...I think it was because there was no longer any hair in my nose..lol) I held on to my eyelashes and eyebrows until about a week ago. Now they are falling out like crazy! My last chemo was October 9th so go figure! I thought I was going to be one of the lucky ones to hold on to them, but I guess not!

Patti

Patti, I'm like you. I
    Patti, I'm like you. I finished my chemo on October 15th and now my lower eyelashes and eyebrows are coming out. I look like I have "5 o'clock shadow" for eyebrows. Oh well, I guess that's better than being totally without. This too shall pass and one day we'll have eyelashes, eyebrows and hair on our bald heads.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Watery eyes.......
    I worked in Ophthalmology for years...

Had the same thing....watery, red eyes and running nose due to no eyelashes or nose hair.....I finished chemo in late Aug....your eyelashes and eyebrows hang on to the bitter end.....but eventually fall out, for most women. I didn't lose my eyebrows compeletely, they just really thinned..They have come back much faster...I lost all the eyelashes on my left eye but not my right.....go figure....It usually takes about 4-6 months for the eyelashes to come back in...but everyone is different...they will be sparse at first but then they sort of "take off".....the average "life span" of an eyelash is only 45 days to begin with...Mine have come back okay, so far....as someone said....they are short at first.......I found just lining my eye with a soft eye pencil did the trick...no one really noticed, since I lined them, that I didn't have eyelashes.....AND my hair is now about 3/4 of an inch.....very GI JOE looking, but it's HAIR! Just try to be patient.....just another thing to wait on that goes with this nasty disease and our treatment....
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    eyelashes
    I finished chemo on Oct. 14th and still have watery eyes that sometimes turn to dry eyes. I use a product recommended by my eye dr, called Celluvisc for the dry eye.
    As far as the eyelashes and eyebrows ( for me ) they are coming back now for about 2 weeks, and I must say, thicker than ever!
    It is as if overnight they just start to grow back. Please don't be scared though, as I was, because they continue to fall out after you're done. I figured they were already dead and just took a little longer to fall out.
    Best of Luck!
    Lighthouse_7
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

eyelashes
    I finished chemo on Oct. 14th and still have watery eyes that sometimes turn to dry eyes. I use a product recommended by my eye dr, called Celluvisc for the dry eye.
    As far as the eyelashes and eyebrows ( for me ) they are coming back now for about 2 weeks, and I must say, thicker than ever!
    It is as if overnight they just start to grow back. Please don't be scared though, as I was, because they continue to fall out after you're done. I figured they were already dead and just took a little longer to fall out.
    Best of Luck!
    Lighthouse_7

Kathy 09 .. I just finished chemo on 12/15/09 .. and my
    lashes along with my eye brows .. thinned. I see now that I am losing my right brow. Also, my eye's have continued to drip, not as often .. Eye sight is still a bit blurry in the early a.m.

I must say that my onc and onc/PA stated that my scalp hair would start to grow back very quickly .. once chemo finished .. THEY LIED ...!!! still bald, and hating it. My nasty, agressive chemo is over .. so I am happy.!!

Vicki Sam