Perhaps tomorrow will be a better day?

melissaincali
melissaincali Member Posts: 34
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
We are sidelined in New York...again. We were scheduled to head out this morning at 9am to fly home, but that didn't happen. Brant is doing okay (not great, but okay for just having an APR two weeks ago). They took out his final drain on Tuesday and he started leaking a lot from the stitched up area. Plus his legs and feet became so swollen. I guess the excess fluid has to go somewhere. He went back yesterday to the doctor and they re-stitched the area and it seems to be holding. He needs to re-absorb some of this fluid because he is leaking out so much protein and is dehydrated. He has lost a lot of weight in the past few weeks. Hopefully, we can focus on him regaining the pounds.

We were delayed by a 104 degree feverish, vomiting 3 year old. Uggghhhh! Found a doctor who would take our insurance (which is a miracle in and of itself) and took him in. No H1N1, no strep throat so that is good. However, flight canceled, Will and I quarantined in the back bedroom of the apartment to keep him away from Brant all night.

The fever has broken and we are hoping to fly out tomorrow. However, I must say that I am angry at the world. Can't we catch one break??? Failed surgery, stuck in NYC for 8+weeks and a vomiting 3 year old which delays our finally leaving. Are you kidding me????
Melissa

Comments

• Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Sheesh!!
    How sad, if it's not one thing, it's always another, doesn't that seem to be?? Your poor sick boy, I hope he feels better soon, and glad his fever broke, things will always get worse before they better, and they can't get worse then this, I feel something positive coming your way, and you're in my prayers, I hope you're able to get home soon in a couple days, don't hate the world, hate the sickness, I wish you all the best, and hope to hear that something good will come out of this soon!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    Shayenne said:

Sheesh!!
    How sad, if it's not one thing, it's always another, doesn't that seem to be?? Your poor sick boy, I hope he feels better soon, and glad his fever broke, things will always get worse before they better, and they can't get worse then this, I feel something positive coming your way, and you're in my prayers, I hope you're able to get home soon in a couple days, don't hate the world, hate the sickness, I wish you all the best, and hope to hear that something good will come out of this soon!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

Try to remember this only a temporary situation.
    Try to remember this is only a temporary situation. Wishing you better days ahead!

Hugs,
    Lizzy
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Dear Melissa
    I am so very, very sorry that it is one thing after another for the 3 of you. I was just thinking about you guys this morning since I have been following Brant's caring bridge site and didn't see an update since December 1st. I hate it that Brant just can't catch a break with this monster. I know from your posts on this site and the caregivers site that you are soooo ready to go home. While everyone has been great to you and the family you are so ready to get back to your own bed and life in California. I wish the best to you and your family and send strong thoughts and wishes from Michigan that Brant will finally catch a break with this disease. Please keep us updated and feel free to come here and vent all you need to, that is what the board is here for. Take care - Tina
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Enough already - you deserve a break
    One thing after another. Do you think sometimes you are being tested to find your breaking point? But you are strong and keep hanging in there. Keep up the great work.

I sure hope Will feels better and you and Brant do not get what he had, and get to go on schedule tomorrow. You'll be home for the holidays soon.

I've been following the CaringBridge site, and was a little worried with no updates lately. Thank you for updating us. So sorry it continues to be so tough. Hang in there - for every bad day, there is always a better day ahead. I hit my low days, and what gets me through is knowing that it will get better. You have lots of people praying for your family and sending positive energy your way. Try to feed yourself with that energy.

Praying for "boring" news for your family for the next few weeks.
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    You will catch a break! I
    You will catch a break! I felt this way exactly & then had a really good recent appointment with my oncologist. I am really sorry that your son is sick but I am glad to hear your husband is doing ok. I hope you will be in sunny California tomorrow! Good luck, & please let us know how it goes.
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member
    I know how you feel
    If it's not one thing it's anouther. Keep up the positive thoughts. I wish I was up there to help you out in some way. :o(

Life is funny sometimes
    Brooks
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member

I know how you feel
    If it's not one thing it's anouther. Keep up the positive thoughts. I wish I was up there to help you out in some way. :o(

Life is funny sometimes
    Brooks

And to top it off
    if you're stil stuck in NYC Friday, its supposed to be very cold with wind chill in twenties. Dress warm or stay in....Hopefully, you'll have left already...Steve
  • AceSFO
    AceSFO Member Posts: 229
    wow - sorry to hear it
    Hi, Melissa,

You guys have been on my mind a lot lately, wondering how it was going out there, and I'm really sorry to hear, that it's not going better.

I don't really know what to say, aside from good luck and things have to get better. Especially once you get back to the Bay Area...

Hang in there!

Adrian
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Melissa
    Melissa,
    I just checked Brant's Caring Bridge site before coming here and saw you couldn't leave NY. Didn't know it was because of your little guy. Dang! You guys do need a break! So sorry you had to deal with fever, etc. as you are getting to go home.
    I know once you're home things will feel so much better. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your precious family.

Aloha,
    Kathleen