Arimidex

Options
Grains
Grains Member Posts: 27
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am supposed to start taking Arimidex within the next few days. Has anyone here taken it? If so, how is it going? Have you experienced any side effects? I am apprehensive about taking it. I am reading side effects like bone damage, hair loss, memory loss, weight gain, higher cholesterol rates, joint pain, depression, hot flashes, tiredness... the list goes on and on. When I talk about this to people who don't have to take it, all I hear is "You should be thankful for it, at least you won't get cancer!" Am I jumping the gun here? I am a little upset with my pathologist. I was supposed to have the oncotype dx test sent in on Nov 18. I just never heard the result. Yesterday, I asked at the oncologist office. Today, someone called me and said oops, it wasn't sent off. Sorry you will have to wait another 2 weeks. My oncologist says he is certain my score will be low and it won't hurt to start the Arimidex now. This is the third time the pathologist did a oops with my tests. I had my mastectomy on Oct 19 and I still won't know if I have to have chemo until Dec 23 or so now. I know this sounds piddly compared to what the rest of you are going through and I apologize for it. I just needed to tell someone who understands. Thanks for your support.

Comments

• tigger99
    tigger99 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    I am very sorry you have to
    I am very sorry you have to be here. The pathologist's office mix-ups must be very frustrating for you. We do understand and are sending you our love and encouragement.

There was a post about Arimidex side effects not too long ago (like in the last 2 weeks), with lots and lots of good replies. If you page down a few pages, you'll find it. I bumped another Arimidex post up for you, but it's not the actual post to which I'm referring. Perhaps Chenheart can find the better post for you -- she's fantastic at that (among many other things, such as being a great supporter on this board)!

I have been taking it since September and am doing great. The only side effect I have is mild hot flashes and they're not bad at all. My oncologist said they just aren't seeing the weight gain that others report. But here's my own admission: I have gained 9 pounds since my diagnosis BUT it's not due to any meds, rather, the fact that I've been indulging in my favorite drug -- chocolate -- quite a bit more. You know, the "BC pity party" indulgences that only chocolate can cure! ;) I went back to Weight Watchers yesterday to get this under control.
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    tigger99 said:

I am very sorry you have to
    I am very sorry you have to be here. The pathologist's office mix-ups must be very frustrating for you. We do understand and are sending you our love and encouragement.

There was a post about Arimidex side effects not too long ago (like in the last 2 weeks), with lots and lots of good replies. If you page down a few pages, you'll find it. I bumped another Arimidex post up for you, but it's not the actual post to which I'm referring. Perhaps Chenheart can find the better post for you -- she's fantastic at that (among many other things, such as being a great supporter on this board)!

I have been taking it since September and am doing great. The only side effect I have is mild hot flashes and they're not bad at all. My oncologist said they just aren't seeing the weight gain that others report. But here's my own admission: I have gained 9 pounds since my diagnosis BUT it's not due to any meds, rather, the fact that I've been indulging in my favorite drug -- chocolate -- quite a bit more. You know, the "BC pity party" indulgences that only chocolate can cure! ;) I went back to Weight Watchers yesterday to get this under control.

As Tigger said, there are
    As Tigger said, there are some good recent posts on this that you might want to find.I hate the stuff. I've been taking it for a month or so and my joints hurt really bad. I'm discussing a switch to Tamoxifin with my ONC. which might be better for me.But the only way to know is to give it a try. good luck
    Dee
  • mrsbetty2
    mrsbetty2 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi Grains, I am sorry you have had to go thru the breast cancer. I too am a survivor of it and have been on Arimidex for almost 3 years. I have had the join pain,muscle aches, hair thinning and weight gain. Everyone is different and you might not have any side effects. My only question is if the Dr. haven't got your results so that they don't know if you have to have further treatment why would they start you on Arimidex. That usually is after chemo or radiation. I had 8 treatments of chemo after a mastectomy and then i started the hormone therapy. I don't think anyone knows just how the body reacts to having their body to stop producing estrogen. I have researched everywhere. Sometimes i wonder if it is worth it but i will continue for 2 more years for the sake of my family. Good luck and i will keep you in my prayers.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    mrsbetty2 said:

Hi Grains, I am sorry you have had to go thru the breast cancer. I too am a survivor of it and have been on Arimidex for almost 3 years. I have had the join pain,muscle aches, hair thinning and weight gain. Everyone is different and you might not have any side effects. My only question is if the Dr. haven't got your results so that they don't know if you have to have further treatment why would they start you on Arimidex. That usually is after chemo or radiation. I had 8 treatments of chemo after a mastectomy and then i started the hormone therapy. I don't think anyone knows just how the body reacts to having their body to stop producing estrogen. I have researched everywhere. Sometimes i wonder if it is worth it but i will continue for 2 more years for the sake of my family. Good luck and i will keep you in my prayers.

two months after mastectomy
    and you still do not have a pathology report back?
    Sounds Very strange to me that you have not have treatment plan yet.
    Instead of taking Arimidex, I think you need to be more proactive with your finalized treatment plan. Do they know if your cancer was hormone positive? Second opinion maybe to go.
    Good luck
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    I took Arimidex for the full
    I took Arimidex for the full 5 years, and it will be a year in March since I have NOT been taking it! My cholesterol did go up a bit, but not alarmingly, and other than that, I can't say I had any adverse side effects. I had 2 or 3 bones density tests, and there was no bone loss, either. I am a "woman of a certain age" (60) and during the time I was taking Arimidex I was able to swim with dolphins, zip line, do 5 and 10K's and 1/2 marathons. I took salsa lessons, joined a Jazzercise class, went camping every summer, did 6 Relay for Life events, was in a ping pong tournament, traveled to DC for the Obama inauguration last January while I was still taking Arimidex, etc etc etc.

So, for me it was really do-able!

I hope your experience is every bit as good, or even better!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • marywest
    marywest Member Posts: 132
    Options

two months after mastectomy
    and you still do not have a pathology report back?
    Sounds Very strange to me that you have not have treatment plan yet.
    Instead of taking Arimidex, I think you need to be more proactive with your finalized treatment plan. Do they know if your cancer was hormone positive? Second opinion maybe to go.
    Good luck

Doesn' sound right
    First of all that is un-called for that they ooped three times on your reports, I am feeling angry for you, I think someone's supervisor needs to be called on this. I dont understand either why they are putting you on arimidex now. that comes after your chemo is over and radiation has been completed. And like new flower said, was your cancer hormone positive? Well back to arimidex, I didnt' do to well on it, so my doctor wants me to go on tamoxifen. Please let me know what your oncologist says about going on arimidex before your treatments are even done. I will be praying for you on this, God Bless, Mary
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    marywest said:

Doesn' sound right
    First of all that is un-called for that they ooped three times on your reports, I am feeling angry for you, I think someone's supervisor needs to be called on this. I dont understand either why they are putting you on arimidex now. that comes after your chemo is over and radiation has been completed. And like new flower said, was your cancer hormone positive? Well back to arimidex, I didnt' do to well on it, so my doctor wants me to go on tamoxifen. Please let me know what your oncologist says about going on arimidex before your treatments are even done. I will be praying for you on this, God Bless, Mary

I'm supposed to take
    I'm supposed to take Arimidex also. I am waiting until next rear to start. I want my Celiac under control first. I se my Medical Oncologist on the 23rd.Also a follow-up with my Breast surgeon. I have been freezing lately, but it is cold! Certainly no "hot-flashes" I was getting a sweaty hair at night, but not right now, LOL
  • maryannrogers
    maryannrogers Member Posts: 115
    Options
    lanie940 said:

I'm supposed to take
    I'm supposed to take Arimidex also. I am waiting until next rear to start. I want my Celiac under control first. I se my Medical Oncologist on the 23rd.Also a follow-up with my Breast surgeon. I have been freezing lately, but it is cold! Certainly no "hot-flashes" I was getting a sweaty hair at night, but not right now, LOL

After having a radical
    After having a radical modified mastectomy, I've been on Arimidex since July. At first I had alot of hot flashes, but that has diminished. Have some joint and muscle pain but nothing I can't live with. I didn't have chemo as my Oncytype DX number was 8. I think everyone reacts to it differently. Good luck to you. You may do fine.