Hand Pain

Aliaslisa
Aliaslisa Member Posts: 16 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I know I Asked this question before, but I can't find it or any answers. I sometimes wake up and my left hand feels so terrible that I cry. My cancer is on the left side. My left hand feels very bad and my right hand feels a little tingly and puffy. It's my left hand that is killing me. Feel swollen, feels like it's been "Asleep" for hours, and it takes at least a half hour to forty five minutes to get back to normal. Amy one else experience this? Any suggestions out there? Thank you, Lisa

Comments

• susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Hi Lisa
    I would suggest that you contact your oncologist and go over this with him. I am not a doctor and haven't had this happen to me, so, I really have no idea. I am really sorry that you have this. Let us know what your oncologist says.

♠♣ Christmas Susie ♠♣
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    susie09 said:

Hi Lisa
    I would suggest that you contact your oncologist and go over this with him. I am not a doctor and haven't had this happen to me, so, I really have no idea. I am really sorry that you have this. Let us know what your oncologist says.

♠♣ Christmas Susie ♠♣

Call the onc.
    Lisa is right call the oncologist. I have neuropohy (cant spell) and it is painful...but not constantly. I know they talk about sorry chemo brain is keeping words from coming tonight...but swelling in the arm and hand on the side of surgery especially if you had lymph removal or involvement. Someone will post with right words in technical lingo. But regardless doc needs to know. You will be in my thoughts and prayes. I hope the pain eases soon.

always, becky
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    always said:

Call the onc.
    Lisa is right call the oncologist. I have neuropohy (cant spell) and it is painful...but not constantly. I know they talk about sorry chemo brain is keeping words from coming tonight...but swelling in the arm and hand on the side of surgery especially if you had lymph removal or involvement. Someone will post with right words in technical lingo. But regardless doc needs to know. You will be in my thoughts and prayes. I hope the pain eases soon.

always, becky

Lymphedema?
    Lisa,
    were you lymph nodes removed? you need to discuss your hand& arm situation with your breast surgeon/surgical oncologist.
    Physical therapy can help too.
    When and what kind of did you have your surgery?
    In order to advice pain management we need to know diagnosis.
    Ask for help your medical team.

I am still experiencing pain 1 year after radical modified mastectomy. It goes away very slowly. I have been seeing physical therapist on regular basis.
    Hugs
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Yes, your Onc. can Help with these Symptoms
    Lisa, it sounds as if you're experiencing neuropathy from chemo. I have the same tingly sensation and some discomfort in my hands still, months after finishing chemo. I reported them to my onc, who had me take B6, 50 mg. Lymphedema is also common, unfortunately, if you had lymph nodes removed. Both are manageable, and the pain can be treated. My doc started me on 2 Aleve per day, but I did need presc. meds for awhile, and still sometimes.

My best to you. Do report the symptoms so you can get help.
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    Moopy23 said:

Yes, your Onc. can Help with these Symptoms
    Lisa, it sounds as if you're experiencing neuropathy from chemo. I have the same tingly sensation and some discomfort in my hands still, months after finishing chemo. I reported them to my onc, who had me take B6, 50 mg. Lymphedema is also common, unfortunately, if you had lymph nodes removed. Both are manageable, and the pain can be treated. My doc started me on 2 Aleve per day, but I did need presc. meds for awhile, and still sometimes.

My best to you. Do report the symptoms so you can get help.

Hope you talk to your doctor
    Lisa, I know that these things worry you. Talk to your doctor. I too have serious neuropathy in both hands and feet..partly because of diabetes but far worse after chemo. there are plenty of drugs that can at least lesson your discomfort. My podiatrist prescribed Lyrica and Metanx(you can look both up) They have made an enormous difference.
    Good luck and keep us posted!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Hope you talk to your doctor
    Lisa, I know that these things worry you. Talk to your doctor. I too have serious neuropathy in both hands and feet..partly because of diabetes but far worse after chemo. there are plenty of drugs that can at least lesson your discomfort. My podiatrist prescribed Lyrica and Metanx(you can look both up) They have made an enormous difference.
    Good luck and keep us posted!

Lyrica can worsen lymphedema
    so you your Lymph nodes have been removed you need to be careful with this drug.
  • Aliaslisa
    Aliaslisa Member Posts: 16 Member

Lymphedema?
    Lisa,
    were you lymph nodes removed? you need to discuss your hand& arm situation with your breast surgeon/surgical oncologist.
    Physical therapy can help too.
    When and what kind of did you have your surgery?
    In order to advice pain management we need to know diagnosis.
    Ask for help your medical team.

I am still experiencing pain 1 year after radical modified mastectomy. It goes away very slowly. I have been seeing physical therapist on regular basis.
    Hugs

Hand Pain Research
    Hi everyone. Thanks for all of your answers my new friends:) I have only had Chemotherapy. Ever other Tuesday. No surgery or radiation. This is because I have "Inflammatory Breast Cancer. I have a wonderful and I mean just WoNdErFuL oncologist. Never felt like I was in safer hands. I will talk to him about this. I will also try to find the book that said that I might suffer from this. Thanks again everyone!!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Aliaslisa said:

Hand Pain Research
    Hi everyone. Thanks for all of your answers my new friends:) I have only had Chemotherapy. Ever other Tuesday. No surgery or radiation. This is because I have "Inflammatory Breast Cancer. I have a wonderful and I mean just WoNdErFuL oncologist. Never felt like I was in safer hands. I will talk to him about this. I will also try to find the book that said that I might suffer from this. Thanks again everyone!!

That is the best advice I
    That is the best advice I could give you. Ask your oncologist. Good luck!
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Pain/swelling
    Lisa,

I wake up almost every night because my right hand and arm are swollen and "asleep". I had lymph nodes removed and had mild lymphodema after my surgery. This has all seemed to have gotten worse since I started Tamox last month.

Let us know what your doctor says.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Lisa, I am sorry you are having pain
    It does sound like neuropathy as others have suggested. Your onc. should be able to tell you for sure. Are you still doing chemo? If so, they might be able to adjust your regimen so that the condition doesn't worsen. Hope it gets better.

Mimi
  • pgrace35
    pgrace35 Member Posts: 122
    Hand Pain
    Hi Aliaslisa, I get pain in my hands as well, not like you do though, just in spurts.Do have occassional swelling too. What does hurt the most are my fingernails, they are dis-colored with black lines running through them. I sometimes can't hardly put pressure on them or open things, seems to be the worst in the morning. Not sure why you have it only on the one side. I would consult your oncologist if you haven't already. Good Luck!