How long do bc survivors stay on this site and why do they stay on past their treatment?

Comments

• always
    always Member Posts: 256
    Kylez said:

Thanks Susie!
    I have been reading all of these posts and they are great! It just clarifies how much this site means to all of us. I know that I came on here and just read for awhile. I finally just jumped in and found so much hope, help and comfort here. When I was going thru radiation, I know I seemed to need a lot of help and I would like to thank Jeanne D for all of the PM's and all of the help she gave me to get me thru it. I don't know what I would have done without it. There are a lot of super heros on this site as far as I am concerned, and, she is one of them!

I post whenever anymore, but, miss a lot by not being on everyday. I imagine someday I will just not come on. Not for sure when, but, I think it will happen that way. Or, who knows, I might be here until they cart me away. HAHA

KYLEZ ♥

Great post
    I could just ditto must of the above. I have not been here long. I lurked in silence after I stumbled here looking on the web for answers. I was not a blog or chat room person. When I did post...I was overwhelmed...no that can be a negative word...I was surrounded by hope, support, advise, comfort. But for me mostly I found strength. My own strength was ____ __ ____ like the rope was unravelled or the line had holes in it...not something I am accustomed to, to stubborn to waver...But the word Cancer...it stops you in your tracks. The most unselfish, strong loving sisterly support in the world lives on this board. I know I take away way more than I give. I will be around when my strength is back to where it used to be and when the rope is mended I will be stronger than I ever was before. By then I hope I will have learned the eloquence, grace and humor that I find here so I to can pay in forward and send out lifelines to those who follow this path. My biggest pray will be that there will be none and then I will have to find someplace else to pull people up that are reaching for help. I love this site. I love each and everyone of you. I am grateful you asked this question.
    becky
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    always said:

Great post
    I could just ditto must of the above. I have not been here long. I lurked in silence after I stumbled here looking on the web for answers. I was not a blog or chat room person. When I did post...I was overwhelmed...no that can be a negative word...I was surrounded by hope, support, advise, comfort. But for me mostly I found strength. My own strength was ____ __ ____ like the rope was unravelled or the line had holes in it...not something I am accustomed to, to stubborn to waver...But the word Cancer...it stops you in your tracks. The most unselfish, strong loving sisterly support in the world lives on this board. I know I take away way more than I give. I will be around when my strength is back to where it used to be and when the rope is mended I will be stronger than I ever was before. By then I hope I will have learned the eloquence, grace and humor that I find here so I to can pay in forward and send out lifelines to those who follow this path. My biggest pray will be that there will be none and then I will have to find someplace else to pull people up that are reaching for help. I love this site. I love each and everyone of you. I am grateful you asked this question.
    becky

I came to this site after I
    I came to this site after I had a recurrence and had a bilateral mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction. I was having problems with my reconstructed belly button and swelling in my abdomen and found the site through Googling DIEP. I lurked for quite a while and finally signed up when I read a post that I felt I needed to respond to, since it was an experience that was quite familiar to me. My primary reason for being on the site has been to help others who are going through things that are similar to my experiences. That also helps to limit the number of posts that I read since I don't have a lot of time to spend on the site.

Joyce
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I come....because you all are a part of me.....
    I have had the pleasure to meet some of you face to face, but I feel I know you all. Others have shared much of my feelings, but I think I come because I remember my first days here...and there were many (including chen) who lit my way. Some are gone, some are on the other board (colorectal, which I had first). I try to lend that spirit...even tho I am so far out from treatment that I can't speak much to the technical stuff....

In my own sloppy way, with sharing other things about my life now, I am trying to show that life DOES go on after those 3 horrible words. And it is what you make of it. My current pic is of me walking 'on deck for the cure' in Mexico on the ship, just leaving Cabo. The gal on the right was the coordinator, and shared that she lost her dad to cancer, and the middle gal, her mom to breast cancer. I thanked them both for walking....if we can band together, there is more hope of finding a cure!

GREAT post, dearheart!

Hugs from an 'old timer', Kathi
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    jk1952 said:

I came to this site after I
    I came to this site after I had a recurrence and had a bilateral mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction. I was having problems with my reconstructed belly button and swelling in my abdomen and found the site through Googling DIEP. I lurked for quite a while and finally signed up when I read a post that I felt I needed to respond to, since it was an experience that was quite familiar to me. My primary reason for being on the site has been to help others who are going through things that are similar to my experiences. That also helps to limit the number of posts that I read since I don't have a lot of time to spend on the site.

Joyce

I am not drinking now :)
    All of your responses are amazing. It is great to see how we all came together on this site. Thanks for your replies! I am definitely adding this thread to my favorites! It will be fun to reflect on it from time to time.

♠♣ Christmas Susie ♠♣
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    KathiM said:

I come....because you all are a part of me.....
    I have had the pleasure to meet some of you face to face, but I feel I know you all. Others have shared much of my feelings, but I think I come because I remember my first days here...and there were many (including chen) who lit my way. Some are gone, some are on the other board (colorectal, which I had first). I try to lend that spirit...even tho I am so far out from treatment that I can't speak much to the technical stuff....

In my own sloppy way, with sharing other things about my life now, I am trying to show that life DOES go on after those 3 horrible words. And it is what you make of it. My current pic is of me walking 'on deck for the cure' in Mexico on the ship, just leaving Cabo. The gal on the right was the coordinator, and shared that she lost her dad to cancer, and the middle gal, her mom to breast cancer. I thanked them both for walking....if we can band together, there is more hope of finding a cure!

GREAT post, dearheart!

Hugs from an 'old timer', Kathi

Thanks!
    This site has been so good for me. When I had my lumpectomy, got thru rads, I needed someone that had been thru it or that was going thru it at the same time for some support and advice. And, this site was open 24/7 rain or shine. I can't remember how I actually found the site, but at this point, who cares. LOL I have enjoyed meeting my new friends and exchanging and sharing our experiences. I post a lot less now than when I was in my treatment, but, I am always coming in and out. Thank you to all of you for helping me and thank you Susie for starting this thread. I love your Christmas kitty Susie - Love those blue eyes!

Angie
  • LT
    LT Member Posts: 31
    Angie2U said:

Thanks!
    This site has been so good for me. When I had my lumpectomy, got thru rads, I needed someone that had been thru it or that was going thru it at the same time for some support and advice. And, this site was open 24/7 rain or shine. I can't remember how I actually found the site, but at this point, who cares. LOL I have enjoyed meeting my new friends and exchanging and sharing our experiences. I post a lot less now than when I was in my treatment, but, I am always coming in and out. Thank you to all of you for helping me and thank you Susie for starting this thread. I love your Christmas kitty Susie - Love those blue eyes!

Angie

This site was my help
    in time of need. During one of those sleepless nights right after my diagnosis, I stumbled upon this group of loving supporters. I was so terrified but didn't want to burden my family when they were even more clueless than me, but I found comfort here - even before I ever posted! So many of my questions were already asked and answered that I could stay in the "safe" shadows for a while. The love, hope and total acceptance of all our crazy shifting emotions is what keeps me coming back and sometimes even posting. I'm smack in the middle of chemo treatment and don't feel like coming here as often, but I find it's like water to me - if I stay away too long I get too thirsty and have to come back to be refreshed! Thanks and blessings to all of you who are here - long-time survivors who give me hope that there is life after cancer, newbies who ask the questions that are in my head too, and the folks that are fighting the beast right now. LT
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    LT said:

This site was my help
    in time of need. During one of those sleepless nights right after my diagnosis, I stumbled upon this group of loving supporters. I was so terrified but didn't want to burden my family when they were even more clueless than me, but I found comfort here - even before I ever posted! So many of my questions were already asked and answered that I could stay in the "safe" shadows for a while. The love, hope and total acceptance of all our crazy shifting emotions is what keeps me coming back and sometimes even posting. I'm smack in the middle of chemo treatment and don't feel like coming here as often, but I find it's like water to me - if I stay away too long I get too thirsty and have to come back to be refreshed! Thanks and blessings to all of you who are here - long-time survivors who give me hope that there is life after cancer, newbies who ask the questions that are in my head too, and the folks that are fighting the beast right now. LT

Well, Susie, looks like most
    Well, Susie, looks like most of your questions were answered. What a wonderful post and look at all the responses. This board is so important to all of us or we wouldn't be here. Susie, I raise my glass to you for posting this and for all the responses of my beautiful courageous and loving sisters. I pray for the day when we have the big answer=a cure for bc (and all other cancers). Do I hear an AMEN!!!
  • susie09
    Sunrae said:

Well, Susie, looks like most
    Well, Susie, looks like most of your questions were answered. What a wonderful post and look at all the responses. This board is so important to all of us or we wouldn't be here. Susie, I raise my glass to you for posting this and for all the responses of my beautiful courageous and loving sisters. I pray for the day when we have the big answer=a cure for bc (and all other cancers). Do I hear an AMEN!!!

:-)
    Amen!

♠♣ Christmas Susie ♠♣
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    susie09 said:

Amen!

♠♣ Christmas Susie ♠♣

Amen, Sister!
    Joyce

Amen, Sister!

Joyce
  • Angie2U
    jk1952 said:

Amen, Sister!
    Joyce

Amen, Sister!

Joyce

Amen too!
    Angie

Amen too!

Angie
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Angie2U said:

Amen too!
    Angie

Amen too!

Angie

Just want to thank you Susie
    Just want to thank you Susie for starting this post. It has been great to read all of the responses.

And, Amen Sisters!

Debby
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

My answer
    I found the site because my oncologist told me about it. I just lurked for awhile and then finally posted. I wasn't used to being in or on a sort of chat site. I found a lot of support here and got my questions answered which was huge! Noone can better answer them than another bc sister.

I finished rads a few months ago and thought I would be gone from here by now. I have tamox, but, haven't taken it and probably won't. I think that is part of the reason I am still here. I read the tamox posts to see how people are doing and then get caught up replying to others, especially ones that took rads when I did.

I think for me, when I do leave, that will be a turning the corner type of thing. I think it will be me finally putting bc behind me.

So one day I just might disappear!

Do we really want and need to put BC behind us?
    Should we?
    I think BC will be always part of our life weather or not we come here.
    I think there is a special bond between Cancer Survivors regardless the stage and the step of the treatment because only those who have had cancer can understand physical and emotional challenge that cancer does.

Since I finished Chemo and Radiation I have been trying to help others to fight this disease and minimize side effects and emotional burden of treatments. Being here gives me a purpose in my everyday life.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    DebbyM said:

Just want to thank you Susie
    Just want to thank you Susie for starting this post. It has been great to read all of the responses.

And, Amen Sisters!

Debby

Me too!
    I want to thank you for this thread Susie! Love reading everyone's reply's!

Leeza
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Curious Questions
    I couldn,t say it any better then chen has.The wonderful people on this sight has brought me through to this far.I will be done with treatments in 3wks.ya.I want to keep in touch on the boards to see how everyone is doing.And like Chen says pay it forward when I can.And I think we will always need our friends here to talk to.BC changes our lifes.And I so I want something positive to come out of all that I have been through.I also want to help the ACS. in some way.They have been so good to me and others.I think it is defnelity up to the person.maybe some are done with it when they get through treatments.I really enjoy the boards.some like Chen i feel really blessed to get to know some.And their have been several that has touched my heart.take care.Love and Prayers.(Pat).
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    susie09 said:

Wait
    I didn't mean to open up a can of worms. All I was doing was asking a question, that's it. There was no offense meant, no judgement intended. I was just curious as to why some stay, some never post, some leave right after treatment and so on. I apologize if I offended anyone. It was just a curious question post.

Yeah Susie,
    you didn't offend any of us-sounds like you just gave us all a reason to post of why we are so thankful for the other sisters(and brothers-Joe and Reggie),and this discussion board!
  • Angie2U

Yeah Susie,
    you didn't offend any of us-sounds like you just gave us all a reason to post of why we are so thankful for the other sisters(and brothers-Joe and Reggie),and this discussion board!

I think you can tell Susie
    I think you can tell Susie that everyone loved your questions. Look at the responses!

We are all lucky to have this board, to have each other in this fight!

Angie
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Simple - Pay it Forward
    Quite honestly, I don't visit this site all too often anymore. But, when I do, I'm come looking for ways that I can be of help to someone, to share some knowledge, and to give support. In other words, give all of the same wonderful things that I received when I was first diagnosed 2 years ago. I just hit my 2 year anniversary and am dancing with NED. Hard to believe.

I still stay in touch with some of the women who were dx about the same time as a me. Most of us, but not all, have drifted away, but do return a few times a month to see if we can be of any assistance. Most times, I've found that all of you do a great job of supporting one another, as you go through the same things together, just as my buddies and I did for each other. There were those veterans like Chenheart and Zahlene who welcomed us and gave us what we were desparately searching for. For them and my other buddies, I will always be thankful.

Bless you all and Merry Christmas. Hugs, Marilynn
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    I often consider phasing out
    I often consider phasing out of the site because I worry that it contributes to my cancer fears. But I feel a friendship and kinship with all of you here and would miss you very much. Even though I am 3 years out, I still have scary times when I need your support and I also want to be here for you when you women when you need a shoulder.

As others have said, cancer will always be a part of our lives and we will always be connected. I feel very lucky to have you all in my life.
  • susie09
    Eil4186 said:

I often consider phasing out
    I often consider phasing out of the site because I worry that it contributes to my cancer fears. But I feel a friendship and kinship with all of you here and would miss you very much. Even though I am 3 years out, I still have scary times when I need your support and I also want to be here for you when you women when you need a shoulder.

As others have said, cancer will always be a part of our lives and we will always be connected. I feel very lucky to have you all in my life.

I am glad that all of you still come on and post, even if it isn't often. We can all use the wisdom and experience of a sister of bc to help us thru this maize of confusion and fear. I don't know what I would have done without all of you! I have to agree with Eileen, I feel very lucky also to have all of you in my life!

♠♣ Christmas Susie ♠♣
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    susie09 said:

I am glad that all of you still come on and post, even if it isn't often. We can all use the wisdom and experience of a sister of bc to help us thru this maize of confusion and fear. I don't know what I would have done without all of you! I have to agree with Eileen, I feel very lucky also to have all of you in my life!

♠♣ Christmas Susie ♠♣

Thanks!
    Thank you Susie for starting this thread. It has been so great to read all of the different reasoning's behind why everyone is here and what brought them here, and, why they stay and come back.

HUGS to ALL!