Question about secondary bone cancer

kathyDDD
kathyDDD Member Posts: 34
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my post treatment scans and follow up appt with my oncologist yesterday. Everything looked good except my bone enzymes were elevated and my bone scan showed some abnormalities in the backbone and lumbar bones. He said this could be anything from arthritis to a secondary bone cancer from the original breast cancer. He said if it si, it's treatable with chemo. Has anyone else had this happen? I know my back and hips have been aching, but I thought it was just residual effects from the rdiation and chemo. I know I have arthritis in my knees and both rheumatoid and ostearthritis run in my family. I have an MRI scheduled for Friday to see exactly what it is. I would really appreciate any feedback I can get. I am trying to be strong, but am getting really tired of failing tests. Thanks for listening.

Kathy

Comments

• meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    I have secondary bone
    I have secondary bone cancer. They did a bone scan on me and then a Pet/Ct scan and it lit up on the pet scan. It is in my lumber, T10 bone. I completed my chemo and I go every month for a drug called Zometa which is given through my port but it does not make you sick, although it does have side effects. I was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago. The zometa is supposed to strengthn your bones. I do have a little back pain, but it is not too bad. My last pet scan in October came back stable, so right now they just watch it very closely. I understand what you are saying about the tests, it is just so scary, but you do need to stay strong. I hope all goes well for you, please let me know what happens with the MRI. Take Care
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Kathy ... I haven't had this
    Kathy ... I haven't had this experience.. but I wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts.. hang in there...

Hugs,

~T
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Hi Kathy ☻
    I haven't had this happen to me. I am so sorry that you even have to go thru any more tests. I am praying that everything will go fine with your test and that it is something that is easily treated and not cancer. I know that your mind will take you to that, but, try to stay positive. I will be waiting to see you post your news. Take care!

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Jeanne D said:

Hi Kathy ☻
    I haven't had this happen to me. I am so sorry that you even have to go thru any more tests. I am praying that everything will go fine with your test and that it is something that is easily treated and not cancer. I know that your mind will take you to that, but, try to stay positive. I will be waiting to see you post your news. Take care!

Love, Jeanne ♥

I will be praying for good
    I will be praying for good news Kathy.

Hugs!
  • kathyDDD
    kathyDDD Member Posts: 34
    meena1 said:

I have secondary bone
    I have secondary bone cancer. They did a bone scan on me and then a Pet/Ct scan and it lit up on the pet scan. It is in my lumber, T10 bone. I completed my chemo and I go every month for a drug called Zometa which is given through my port but it does not make you sick, although it does have side effects. I was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago. The zometa is supposed to strengthn your bones. I do have a little back pain, but it is not too bad. My last pet scan in October came back stable, so right now they just watch it very closely. I understand what you are saying about the tests, it is just so scary, but you do need to stay strong. I hope all goes well for you, please let me know what happens with the MRI. Take Care

thank you
    Thank you so much for your reply. It helps to know it's not the end of the worldand that it is manageable. I am so glad your last scan was stable. Hopefully I will reach that same point. Did the chemo for the bone cancer make you lose your hair? I am really hoping to keep mine this time around, since it just came back 4 months ago. Unfortunately I happened on a website that said for primary bone cancer, the 5 year survival rate is 65%. Being a math teacher, that statistic freaked me out. I do know that this is not primary bone cancer, and I should stay away from anything other than this website until I speak to my doctor. It just freaked me out because my bloodwork and scans all through the chemo, bilateral surgery, and radiations were fine, until October. I finished the radiations on Oct. 20. I will let you know how everything goes. Thank you again for all of your help and support. This board and all the "sisters" have been a lifesaver for me.

Kathy
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    kathyDDD said:

thank you
    Thank you so much for your reply. It helps to know it's not the end of the worldand that it is manageable. I am so glad your last scan was stable. Hopefully I will reach that same point. Did the chemo for the bone cancer make you lose your hair? I am really hoping to keep mine this time around, since it just came back 4 months ago. Unfortunately I happened on a website that said for primary bone cancer, the 5 year survival rate is 65%. Being a math teacher, that statistic freaked me out. I do know that this is not primary bone cancer, and I should stay away from anything other than this website until I speak to my doctor. It just freaked me out because my bloodwork and scans all through the chemo, bilateral surgery, and radiations were fine, until October. I finished the radiations on Oct. 20. I will let you know how everything goes. Thank you again for all of your help and support. This board and all the "sisters" have been a lifesaver for me.

Kathy

Don't believe statistics!
    Please Kathy. There is so much misinformation out there on the internet that it is best to stay on a site like this or another reputable site to get more info. I am glad that someone could help you with some answers. Sending you positive thoughts!

♠♣ Christmas Susie ♠♣
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

I will be praying for good
    I will be praying for good news Kathy.

Hugs!

You are in my prayers Kathy.
    You are in my prayers Kathy.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Failing Tests
    I know how you feel about tests, Kathy. I will be hoping for no cancer results and wishing you only good thoughts as you wait for the Friday MRI.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    kathyDDD said:

thank you

Kathy

I had the chemo for breast
    I had the chemo for breast cancer, and yes i did lose my hair. As far as I know, you will lose your hair for all chemo. Anyway, i believe that you may not need chemo for the bone mets, they may just need to do radiation, but you should wait to see what your doctor says. I have seen worst stats than 65% on the internet, so i try not to look at them and my doctor has never told me a survival rate. I know several woman who are doing well with bone mets (that is what secondary bone cancer is called), and living normal lives for years. There is hope. Take care and remember to let me know how you are
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Moopy23 said:

Failing Tests
    I know how you feel about tests, Kathy. I will be hoping for no cancer results and wishing you only good thoughts as you wait for the Friday MRI.

Kathy
    I am getting a monthly infusion of Zometa for mets to bone, and I take a daily dose of Femara. Both are considered chemotherapy. However neither of these drugs has caused hair loss or even thinning...at least not so far. I've been in this treatment program since September. I hope and pray your tests go well. Hugs to you. Gracie
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

Kathy
    I am getting a monthly infusion of Zometa for mets to bone, and I take a daily dose of Femara. Both are considered chemotherapy. However neither of these drugs has caused hair loss or even thinning...at least not so far. I've been in this treatment program since September. I hope and pray your tests go well. Hugs to you. Gracie

Sending you lots of prayers
    Sending you lots of prayers Kathy!

KYLEZ ♥
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Moopy23 said:

Failing Tests

Praying for good test
    Praying for good test results for you Kathy!

Debby
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    kathyDDD said:

thank you

Kathy

Aw, Kathy.....
    I was given a 5 year survival rate of 37%, with a 6 months average survival time. Granted, this was for my first cancer...rectal...but I just made up my mind that I was one of the 37% and, well...it's 5 years for me now....

I take Actonel to strengthen my bones. There is a study that says that this also cuts down on the reocurrance rate, although not as well as the Zometa...

Hang in there, dearheart...and remember that statistics on this stuff are usually calculated on 3 to 5 year old data...

Hugs, Kathi
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    DebbyM said:

Praying for good test
    Praying for good test results for you Kathy!

Debby

Hi
    You are in my thoughts and prayers Kathy.

Angie