johnybegood

AnneCan
AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Johnybegood,

I read your post on the thread about taking care of ourselves. I saw that you said that you can't work @ what you did BC (before cancer). I know from some of your posts that you are heavily involved with horses; is there anything you can do to earn a living through your love of horses? I know we are at our best when we feel productive & it doesn't get any better than working with what you love. There are books & courses for starting a business & you can probably get some tax write-offs as well. I am not knowledgeable about horses, but my husband & I have our own business so I know how rewarding it can be. Good luck & try to feel good about your successes - for example being NED is a great accomplishment! As far as your side effects, everyone is different & yours may go away or diminish. You need to give it time; as my surgeon told me "you need to be patient".

Comments

• johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    thank you
    AnneCan for thinking of me.i do love horses and also dogs.i have a degree in dog grooming but just have never got my foot in the door to do it.my husband said he would love for me to fulfill my dream and have a little dog grooming business.not all the time then it would give me time to play with our horses.its just a thought.i know right now my hands cant take the vibrating of my clippers but maybe in time it will happen,i am not the patient kind and of course no docter ever told me it would be like this.i thought when i was done with chemo i would be heald and back to work{not} thanks for the advice and i will try to be more patient i know God has a plan i am just confused on where to go....Godbless....johnnybegood
  • AnneCan

thank you
    AnneCan for thinking of me.i do love horses and also dogs.i have a degree in dog grooming but just have never got my foot in the door to do it.my husband said he would love for me to fulfill my dream and have a little dog grooming business.not all the time then it would give me time to play with our horses.its just a thought.i know right now my hands cant take the vibrating of my clippers but maybe in time it will happen,i am not the patient kind and of course no docter ever told me it would be like this.i thought when i was done with chemo i would be heald and back to work{not} thanks for the advice and i will try to be more patient i know God has a plan i am just confused on where to go....Godbless....johnnybegood

Looks like an opportunity to me!
    Hi Johnnybegood,

I think that this may be your golden opportunity to change what you were doing for a living. Of course I don't know all your circumstances, but this might be the time to evaluate whether you want to into the dog grooming business. That is amazing that you already have the degree! I wonder if you could use this time to really evaluate if this would be a good move for you - you can look into the competition & how they do things, how you would advetise, how much it would cost to get started etc. I know where I live people sometimes spend a lot on their pets. We have a dogsitter we use if we go on vacation etc. & it is not cheap. People also do dog walking. If you want to do this but can't do the cutting, is there someone you could hire to do this part under your supervision - a teenager etc. The other way to go is to offer your services to someone like a veterinarian, if you are not ready to do this. I think right now is a great time for you to DREAM! You are NED, you have passion & training to do something you love & I believe your symptoms will diminish over time. Good luck!
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    AnneCan said:

Looks like an opportunity to me!
    Hi Johnnybegood,

I think that this may be your golden opportunity to change what you were doing for a living. Of course I don't know all your circumstances, but this might be the time to evaluate whether you want to into the dog grooming business. That is amazing that you already have the degree! I wonder if you could use this time to really evaluate if this would be a good move for you - you can look into the competition & how they do things, how you would advetise, how much it would cost to get started etc. I know where I live people sometimes spend a lot on their pets. We have a dogsitter we use if we go on vacation etc. & it is not cheap. People also do dog walking. If you want to do this but can't do the cutting, is there someone you could hire to do this part under your supervision - a teenager etc. The other way to go is to offer your services to someone like a veterinarian, if you are not ready to do this. I think right now is a great time for you to DREAM! You are NED, you have passion & training to do something you love & I believe your symptoms will diminish over time. Good luck!

I Agree!!
    Do it girl! Anne is right! you just need a push! you can do this! Alot of people go away and need their animals taken care of as well, maybe even a kennel business! It will keep you so busy you won't even think about your cancer and side effects, it may even help make them better!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • johnnybegood
    Shayenne said:

I Agree!!
    Do it girl! Anne is right! you just need a push! you can do this! Alot of people go away and need their animals taken care of as well, maybe even a kennel business! It will keep you so busy you won't even think about your cancer and side effects, it may even help make them better!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

thank you
    for the encouragement!! i dont really have any experiance to make a lot of money right now and probably need to go to our local animal shelter and volunteer.if i can get ssd then i know you are allowed to make so much money a year.if i dont get ssd.i would have to own my own bussiness to make anything.we all know it takes money to make money.but we have 28 acres so the land is there for me to have a little shop in the country.dont know how to pull it off.as i said in another post God has a plan and i need to listen to him....Godbless....johnnybegood
  • AnneCan

thank you
    for the encouragement!! i dont really have any experiance to make a lot of money right now and probably need to go to our local animal shelter and volunteer.if i can get ssd then i know you are allowed to make so much money a year.if i dont get ssd.i would have to own my own bussiness to make anything.we all know it takes money to make money.but we have 28 acres so the land is there for me to have a little shop in the country.dont know how to pull it off.as i said in another post God has a plan and i need to listen to him....Godbless....johnnybegood

Dreaming costs $0.00!
    Johnnybegood,

I am Canadian, so I don`t know all the US ins & outs for programs, but one thing I do know is dreaming doesn`t cost anything. This is a good time for research etc., so that when the time is right you are ready to go! Your idea of volunteering is great; I am a big believer in doing what you love to do. i am thinking about you! Lucky you to have all that land!
  • johnnybegood
    AnneCan said:

Dreaming costs $0.00!
    Johnnybegood,

I am Canadian, so I don`t know all the US ins & outs for programs, but one thing I do know is dreaming doesn`t cost anything. This is a good time for research etc., so that when the time is right you are ready to go! Your idea of volunteering is great; I am a big believer in doing what you love to do. i am thinking about you! Lucky you to have all that land!

dreams
    i used to have a dream of owning a log home and have horses.now that i have them the dream may end due to this stupid disease and the economy.i heard the other day from country music singer Kenny Rogers "find a job you really love and you will never have to work a day in your life" now that is a dream...Godbless....johnnybegood