Chemo therapy

2»

Comments

• natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Liz I'll be getting my 4th
    Liz I'll be getting my 4th and last treatment of A/C on 12/8, adriamycin/cytoxan. I had a a "muga" scan to determine the strength of my heart. My "muga" scan showed that I could tolerate adriamycin. My percentage was 10% higher than what is considred acceptable. My onc monitors me regularly, and I'm thinking that my heart will be checked once all the chemo is completed. I start taxol on 12/29.

Side effects are so different for each individual. Some people have no side effects from adriamycin. I get low red and white blood counts, which causes extreme fatigue for me. will you get a neulasta shot after each chemo? I get it to build up my white counts, and procrit shot to build up my red counts. My nausea has escalated and lasted longer after each infusion. I'm pretty much back to normal the weekend before the next infusion. Please remember that no one person is the same. I never had nausea with my pregnancies but have it with chemo. Some people will never have nausea nor fatigue. I call chemo a crap shoot, or compared to a box of chocolates, "you never know what your gonna get".

I'm also stage 2 with the sentinel lymph node involved. I had a lumpectomy. Sounds like you and I are on the same path. My tumor was small but aggressive.
  • lizmair
    lizmair Member Posts: 24

You are going to
    You are going to be on exactly what I am on...4 of A/C and then 4 of Taxol...I just finished my 2nd A/C today. I did have an echocardiogram before starting chemo which they said was just fine. No heart symptoms as of yet anyway.

The Adriamycin (they call the RED DEVIL)is exactly that - red. Your urine will be red a couple times afterwards so drink lots of water.

So far, I have experienced really no nausea - about 10-15 mins about 6 hrs after 1st chemo and none (so far, 4 hrs after 2nd). They want you to chew on ice chips, or in my case, they gave me popsicles, while they are pushing in the adriamycin because the coldness tends to really lessen the chance of getting mouth sores.

Good luck, when do you start? I will be thinking and praying for you. Stay in touch and let us know how you do. Remember the fear of the unknown is far greater than the chemo itself.

Tracy

nausea
    just wondering what you take for nausea - and how are you doing - put my port in today and chemo starts on wednesday. am terrified.
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    lizmair said:

nausea
    just wondering what you take for nausea - and how are you doing - put my port in today and chemo starts on wednesday. am terrified.

Compazine
    They will give you compazine for nausea before they give you your chemo. It really helps! I have not had one bit of nausea to speak of. The compazine, although, makes me quite hyper so I usually cut my dose from 2 pills in the morning to 1 pill by the 3rd day otherwise I am
    bouncing off the walls! hahahaha..

I am glad you got your port in, that will really help! I have not felt a needle stick yet! The port is awesome!

My 2nd chemo went as smooth as my first, no complaints at all..just hoping that yours goes the same. I know you are scared and I sure was also! Please believe me that it will be fine, the nurses there know exactly what they are doing and will help you through it. Breathe, Breathe, Breathe.

Good luck on Wed., I will be thinking and praying for you. Remember to drink lots of water!

Take Care,

Tracy
  • lizmair
    lizmair Member Posts: 24

Compazine
    They will give you compazine for nausea before they give you your chemo. It really helps! I have not had one bit of nausea to speak of. The compazine, although, makes me quite hyper so I usually cut my dose from 2 pills in the morning to 1 pill by the 3rd day otherwise I am
    bouncing off the walls! hahahaha..

I am glad you got your port in, that will really help! I have not felt a needle stick yet! The port is awesome!

My 2nd chemo went as smooth as my first, no complaints at all..just hoping that yours goes the same. I know you are scared and I sure was also! Please believe me that it will be fine, the nurses there know exactly what they are doing and will help you through it. Breathe, Breathe, Breathe.

Good luck on Wed., I will be thinking and praying for you. Remember to drink lots of water!

Take Care,

Tracy

did you have any side
    did you have any side effects at all like light headedness
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    natly15 said:

Liz I'll be getting my 4th
    Liz I'll be getting my 4th and last treatment of A/C on 12/8, adriamycin/cytoxan. I had a a "muga" scan to determine the strength of my heart. My "muga" scan showed that I could tolerate adriamycin. My percentage was 10% higher than what is considred acceptable. My onc monitors me regularly, and I'm thinking that my heart will be checked once all the chemo is completed. I start taxol on 12/29.

Side effects are so different for each individual. Some people have no side effects from adriamycin. I get low red and white blood counts, which causes extreme fatigue for me. will you get a neulasta shot after each chemo? I get it to build up my white counts, and procrit shot to build up my red counts. My nausea has escalated and lasted longer after each infusion. I'm pretty much back to normal the weekend before the next infusion. Please remember that no one person is the same. I never had nausea with my pregnancies but have it with chemo. Some people will never have nausea nor fatigue. I call chemo a crap shoot, or compared to a box of chocolates, "you never know what your gonna get".

I'm also stage 2 with the sentinel lymph node involved. I had a lumpectomy. Sounds like you and I are on the same path. My tumor was small but aggressive.

I just finished the A/C....
    and I've done 4 of the 12 taxols. When you get to the taxol you can take 12 smaller doses, I call them "chemo lite" and have basically no side effects. IF you find the taxol is hard on you ask your onc about the lite doses. It takes just as long, you get the same amount in the same amount of time, but very little side effects.

I am also stage 2 with 8 of 9 lymph nodes involved. I had a small tumor (1.5cm) in my left breast and could hear myself in all your messages. You sound just like me with my fear and anxiety. Let me say it was not as bad as my brain had invisioned. I worked (fifth gr teacher and surf photographer wannabe) through the whole thing. The worst for me, and keep in mind everyone is different, was the 4th day after chemo. By then I was so wanting to be back to normal I would cry... next thing you know, I was back!!!
    God bless and good luck. Let us know how it went.
    Lorraine