Power Ports

lizmair
lizmair Member Posts: 24
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just had a port put in and it goes up over my collar bone and into my neck - it is so painful - can anyone give some insight into similar ports, does this get better - i'm supposed to start chemo on wednesday and just want to make sure i am not fighting pain for the port and also fighting side effects from chemo at the same time. thanks for any input

Comments

• Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    I also have a power port but
    I also have a power port but my port itself is in my chest above my breast and the tubing is up under my collar bone. I had mine inserted one week before I started chemo. It was sore and swollen. I took pain meds and kept an ice pack on it. It does get better after it heals. Had mine since Aug. and bearly feel it now. I have to keep it until Oct. 2010 because I'm on herceptin.

Do you have the numbing cream to use before the chemos? If not call your oncol. and get it as it'll help.

Good luck with the chemo.
    Sher
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Sher43009 said:

I also have a power port but
    I also have a power port but my port itself is in my chest above my breast and the tubing is up under my collar bone. I had mine inserted one week before I started chemo. It was sore and swollen. I took pain meds and kept an ice pack on it. It does get better after it heals. Had mine since Aug. and bearly feel it now. I have to keep it until Oct. 2010 because I'm on herceptin.

Do you have the numbing cream to use before the chemos? If not call your oncol. and get it as it'll help.

Good luck with the chemo.
    Sher

my port
    I've had mine in since August and have had no real problems. Sometimes it's hard to sleep on that side, but for the most part it's fine. I didn't need to use any creams or numbing sprays because I couldn't feel them putting in the needle. Lucky I guess! Anyway, I am so glad I had it because my veins are awful. They still use it to draw blood. I hope to have it out in January.

Good luck!
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Power Port
    My port was the same as yours, up over the collarbone. Fortunately, after the first week it felt much better, it seemed to be pulling. When I'd ask the surgeon about doing anything that would make it pop out of the vein, he said that would never happen. But for me it was just there, and I wanted it out as soon as I was done chemo. The surgeon said it should stay in at least a year, just to make sure, but I told him no. I was sure and I wanted it out. I think he was ticked because he left a lumpy scar - LOL. My badge I guess. It should get better after a while, and its wierd because mine's been out since April and I still feel where the tube went up my neck. Wierd!
    Hugs - Pat
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    padee6339 said:

Power Port
    My port was the same as yours, up over the collarbone. Fortunately, after the first week it felt much better, it seemed to be pulling. When I'd ask the surgeon about doing anything that would make it pop out of the vein, he said that would never happen. But for me it was just there, and I wanted it out as soon as I was done chemo. The surgeon said it should stay in at least a year, just to make sure, but I told him no. I was sure and I wanted it out. I think he was ticked because he left a lumpy scar - LOL. My badge I guess. It should get better after a while, and its wierd because mine's been out since April and I still feel where the tube went up my neck. Wierd!
    Hugs - Pat

I have a Power Port located
    I have a Power Port located just above my right breast,mine was put in on a Monday and was used for chemo Wednesday. It took mine a while to heal up, was on antibiotics for awhile. I didnt have any bruising. The port seem to me to be more discomfort than pain, like there is something always tugging at my chest. Remember to take candy (peppermint) worked the best for me, when they flushed my port a awful smell or taste comes into my mouth.
    Deb