New on site and questions about boosters (radiation)

pattimc
pattimc Member Posts: 431
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm starting my fifth week of radiation today...almost there!! I am scheduled to have 33 treatments with the last 5 being "boosters." I guess I'm not sure what that means. Are they extra potent? Do the treatments last longer?

I'm doing great so far without having any redness and hope that the boosters don't burn my skin.

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Hi, Patti. I just finished
    Hi, Patti. I just finished my 20th treatment today and just got back a few minutes ago. I was talking to my rads onco about the boosters and the fact that I'm having 9 of them. I told him I was concerned about that with my skin getting pretty pink right now. He told me that the boosters, in my case, will be directed at the tumor site and not the entire breast. So, I have 5 more regular treatments and will then start the boosters. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Hi, Patti. I just finished
    Hi, Patti. I just finished my 20th treatment today and just got back a few minutes ago. I was talking to my rads onco about the boosters and the fact that I'm having 9 of them. I told him I was concerned about that with my skin getting pretty pink right now. He told me that the boosters, in my case, will be directed at the tumor site and not the entire breast. So, I have 5 more regular treatments and will then start the boosters. Hope this helps and good luck!

Patti, the boosters are only
    Patti, the boosters are only given to the tumor site. So, they won't be going to the area that you are getting rads at now. Be sure and use LOTS of your creams. And, be gentle with it. You may burn, but, your rads oncologist should be able to give you creams that will help you. There is the thread on here about radiation questions and answers. It might help you too. Good luck.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    You got the scoop from the others...
    Congrats on the 'burn control'! I am allergic to Aloe Vera, so my cream of choice was Aquaphor and a perscription cream called Silvadene....

I agree that you should treat the area well, and that the boosters are directed...my rad/onc told me that if I could survive the first full-breast rads, the boosters are much easier...just to the site of the now-gone cancer...

Hugs, Kathi
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    KathiM said:

You got the scoop from the others...
    Congrats on the 'burn control'! I am allergic to Aloe Vera, so my cream of choice was Aquaphor and a perscription cream called Silvadene....

I agree that you should treat the area well, and that the boosters are directed...my rad/onc told me that if I could survive the first full-breast rads, the boosters are much easier...just to the site of the now-gone cancer...

Hugs, Kathi

For some reason I couldn't
    For some reason I couldn't edit my remark, but, wanted to tell you that I used Biafine and Aquaphor during my whole rads treatment. Also, the boosters are very quick. It seems like you just lay down on the table and you are done. So, they go very quickly. Have your rads oncologist keep an eye on your skin. Mine saw me twice every week to check my skin. My skin looks beautiful now. It is like baby's skin!
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    DianeBC said:

For some reason I couldn't
    For some reason I couldn't edit my remark, but, wanted to tell you that I used Biafine and Aquaphor during my whole rads treatment. Also, the boosters are very quick. It seems like you just lay down on the table and you are done. So, they go very quickly. Have your rads oncologist keep an eye on your skin. Mine saw me twice every week to check my skin. My skin looks beautiful now. It is like baby's skin!

thanks
    Thanks for all your comments. It answers my questions. So far all I've had to use is Aloe Vera gel and I've been fine. Hope it continues!
  • Taina
    Taina Member Posts: 166
    boosters
    Patti, hello...
    I just finish my rads treatment 2 wks ago. I had a total of 30,
    25 regular and the last 5 boosters. The last 5 they concentrate on the
    area were the tumor was(incision area). The length time was the same for me.
    The 1st one i felt some warmth, no pain or burn...I'm just peeling now.
    Just use cream. I used Aquaphor every night.
    You're almost at the finish line....
    hugs your way...