I walked 'on deck for the cure' for all of you sisters!!!!

Options
KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
We are back from the cruise. It was warm and we had a great time. The port experience in Long Beach wasn't nice...but, oh well....

We went on city tours in P.V. and Mazatlan, and went whale watching in Cabo (pics to follow...they came REALLY close, and we were in this small boat, max capacity 9...lol...).

The last day, as we set sail for home, I walked the decks with many others to raise money and awareness for Komen and breast cancer...I took you all with me....

The OTHER crazy thing? I LOST 3 pounds!!!!! I'm obviously not cruising correctly...lol!!!

Hugs to all....

Kathi

Comments

• DianaLou
    DianaLou Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Me too!!
    I have walked for the cure on past Carnival cruises myself. How ironic that now folks are walking for me. You LOST weight on a cruise? Tell me your secret. I'm leaving for a cruise in Jan., 9 days after my last rad treatment. Hope I am not too tired to enjoy it. Glad you had such a good time.

Diana
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options
    DianaLou said:

Me too!!
    I have walked for the cure on past Carnival cruises myself. How ironic that now folks are walking for me. You LOST weight on a cruise? Tell me your secret. I'm leaving for a cruise in Jan., 9 days after my last rad treatment. Hope I am not too tired to enjoy it. Glad you had such a good time.

Diana

Kathi, welcome home and
    Kathi, welcome home and thanks for walking for us. I thought people always gained weight on a cruise. Please tell me you didn't spend any time on the deck barfing overboard. Glad you had a great time.
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Welcome home and thank you
    Welcome home and thank you for walking, even during a cruise. Maybe that's the secret to losing 3 pounds! : ) xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Welcome home, Kathi and
    Welcome home, Kathi and Hans. Glad you enjoyed the trip except for Long Beach. And thanks for walking for us. And I agree--sounds like you've found the secret to cruising and not gaining weight!
  • KathiM
    Options
    DianaLou said:

Me too!!

Diana

Super, Diana!!!!!
    I always try to walk if they have one...Princess does it, too...

I have not a clue as to how I lost weight, other than I DID use the gym on board...they had this one stationary bike that faced the front of the ship...I felt like I was 'helping' to make the ship go forward...lol...

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Welcome home and thank you
    Welcome home and thank you for walking, even during a cruise. Maybe that's the secret to losing 3 pounds! : ) xoxoxoxo Lynn

That, and eating what I REALLY wanted....
    The portions on this ship in the sit-down dining rooms were smaller than on previous cruises...I think that all these lines are becoming health conscious...

I DID find some time to slurp a few 'cervesas' on land....lol...and they didn't understand 'light'....

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Welcome home, Kathi and
    Welcome home, Kathi and Hans. Glad you enjoyed the trip except for Long Beach. And thanks for walking for us. And I agree--sounds like you've found the secret to cruising and not gaining weight!

Thank you, my friend Moopy!
    There were some OTHER people on board, however, that ate so much at one sitting that I was amazed...lol...I would have gotten sick if I had eaten all that they did...

Whale watching was available on the ship as well as off...

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    Options
    Sunrae said:

Kathi, welcome home and
    Kathi, welcome home and thanks for walking for us. I thought people always gained weight on a cruise. Please tell me you didn't spend any time on the deck barfing overboard. Glad you had a great time.

Most of the time, I do gain....
    I have no idea what was different...other than I was a bit mindful of the portions, and I used the stairs alot...lol...our cabin was on deck 9, most activities were on deck 3....

Hugs, Kathi
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    I am glad you had a grand
    I am glad you had a grand time....and I apolgize that my long time home town LB was not pleasant~ I should have called the mayor and told her/him? you would be leaving from there and to have everything in order! LOL

I have cruised, but not in years and years...as a 16 yr old and then an 18 yr old, my parents took us on 3 week cruises~ leaving from NY and seeing so many countries! Strolling Casablanca, going to the Kasbah, the rock of Gibraltar, etc etc and eventually arriving in Naples, Italy and then taking an overnight train to our home in Germany. I loved it soooo much! I cannot, however interest my Reggie in crusing....oh well! LOL

Thanks for walking for us~ that is making me smile!

Happy Holidays!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    KathiM said:

Thank you, my friend Moopy!
    There were some OTHER people on board, however, that ate so much at one sitting that I was amazed...lol...I would have gotten sick if I had eaten all that they did...

Whale watching was available on the ship as well as off...

Hugs, Kathi

Kathi
    Happy to see you back

Kathi
    Happy to see you back and glad you had a great cruise and the weight loss while doing this. Good for you. I have to laugh at the other people overeating and the whale watching on the ship. I know you didn't mean it and you did a separate paragraph but as I quickly read, I laughed at a picture of watching the whales (overeaters) on the ship. See what happens when you overeat you become a whale and they watch you. Glad you didn't overeat. Oh, and I was picturing you in my mind helping the ship to travel on, kind of a modern day slave galley with everyone on bike and treadmills and someone barking out orders to walk, pedal faster. My imagination is working overtime.
    It sound like you had an enjoyable, restful wonderful time and I am very glad that you and Hans did.
    Stef
  • KathiM
    Options
    fauxma said:

Kathi
    Happy to see you back

Kathi
    Happy to see you back and glad you had a great cruise and the weight loss while doing this. Good for you. I have to laugh at the other people overeating and the whale watching on the ship. I know you didn't mean it and you did a separate paragraph but as I quickly read, I laughed at a picture of watching the whales (overeaters) on the ship. See what happens when you overeat you become a whale and they watch you. Glad you didn't overeat. Oh, and I was picturing you in my mind helping the ship to travel on, kind of a modern day slave galley with everyone on bike and treadmills and someone barking out orders to walk, pedal faster. My imagination is working overtime.
    It sound like you had an enjoyable, restful wonderful time and I am very glad that you and Hans did.
    Stef

Yeah, you caught me....lol....
    You figured it out what I was saying....there were some MASSSIVE people...now, understand, I don't mind that...it's a personal choice...but then I overheard one complain, with a FULL tray of food, that the food was 'awful' and 'better on other ships' and 'couldn't find much that was tasty'.

We must be on the same wave length...you would have giggled, as I did, about the rows of bikes and treadmills that were pointed in the direction of the sea...

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    Options
    chenheart said:

I am glad you had a grand
    I am glad you had a grand time....and I apolgize that my long time home town LB was not pleasant~ I should have called the mayor and told her/him? you would be leaving from there and to have everything in order! LOL

I have cruised, but not in years and years...as a 16 yr old and then an 18 yr old, my parents took us on 3 week cruises~ leaving from NY and seeing so many countries! Strolling Casablanca, going to the Kasbah, the rock of Gibraltar, etc etc and eventually arriving in Naples, Italy and then taking an overnight train to our home in Germany. I loved it soooo much! I cannot, however interest my Reggie in crusing....oh well! LOL

Thanks for walking for us~ that is making me smile!

Happy Holidays!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Not all of LB, just the cruise terminal...lol....
    We were 8 hours late leaving. The cruise before had to turn back to Cabo because the captain had a heart attack. Actually, that was understandable...BUT we were told many different departure times, and no food or water (not even for purchase) during the wait. 2 ladies' rooms...you get the picture, I'm writing to Carnival...

On the way back was just a Federalli thing. For the first time since I have been with Hans, he had to stand in the 'visitor to the US' line...even though he is a permanent resident. It took 2 hours, I just sailed through my 'citizen' line. Secretly, I giggled...he's always complaining about MY blue passport when we get held up somewhere in Europe...it was his turn....ROFL!

Sounds like you had some big adventures yourself on a ship. Although I am not surprised, you are so larger than life!!!!

December 25 we leave for Holland, so this was the last bit of sun we will get for awhile...we came home to a cold and wet Southern California (which is good...we so desperately need the water).

Hugs, Kathi
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    KathiM said:

Not all of LB, just the cruise terminal...lol....
    We were 8 hours late leaving. The cruise before had to turn back to Cabo because the captain had a heart attack. Actually, that was understandable...BUT we were told many different departure times, and no food or water (not even for purchase) during the wait. 2 ladies' rooms...you get the picture, I'm writing to Carnival...

On the way back was just a Federalli thing. For the first time since I have been with Hans, he had to stand in the 'visitor to the US' line...even though he is a permanent resident. It took 2 hours, I just sailed through my 'citizen' line. Secretly, I giggled...he's always complaining about MY blue passport when we get held up somewhere in Europe...it was his turn....ROFL!

Sounds like you had some big adventures yourself on a ship. Although I am not surprised, you are so larger than life!!!!

December 25 we leave for Holland, so this was the last bit of sun we will get for awhile...we came home to a cold and wet Southern California (which is good...we so desperately need the water).

Hugs, Kathi

We Californians are so funny
    We Californians are so funny aren't we? We never mention rain without the caveat that we need it! No matter where I go, no matter who ( myself included) brings up the subject, we ALWAYS say, "but we do need it!" LOL Swiftly follwed by a sad face and concern for the summer wildfire areas! BTW, it is supposed to be an El Nino season this year~ remember the last one? I was living in LB for that one...not a pretty sight! Well, after the tulips bloom in Holland, come back and regale us with all things Hollandish!

Have a wonderful time, and I hope too that the Papoose ornament,even if included as a smaller part of the gift you gave was met with approval. Happy Holidays to you and Hans both!

Hugs and Froeliche Weinachten! ( I only speak German, not Hollandish~ but I know you understand that holiday greeting!)

Claudia
  • KathiM
    Options
    chenheart said:

We Californians are so funny
    We Californians are so funny aren't we? We never mention rain without the caveat that we need it! No matter where I go, no matter who ( myself included) brings up the subject, we ALWAYS say, "but we do need it!" LOL Swiftly follwed by a sad face and concern for the summer wildfire areas! BTW, it is supposed to be an El Nino season this year~ remember the last one? I was living in LB for that one...not a pretty sight! Well, after the tulips bloom in Holland, come back and regale us with all things Hollandish!

Have a wonderful time, and I hope too that the Papoose ornament,even if included as a smaller part of the gift you gave was met with approval. Happy Holidays to you and Hans both!

Hugs and Froeliche Weinachten! ( I only speak German, not Hollandish~ but I know you understand that holiday greeting!)

Claudia

I'm laughing....you are so right!!!!
    Living in paradise does come with some worries..lol!

We have a trouble with our heating here, but our roof was fixed last year...so bring on the rain! We will possibly need to wait a bit after arriving home in Holland for the snow, but it's VERY cold there right now...and the heating is on the fritz there, too...lol...maybe we should have stayed a bit longer in Puerto Vallarta...it was mid-80's there...

The ornament is perfect!!!! Our exchange is on the 20th, so I'm all set...thank you so much again!

Thank you for the german....in dutch, it's Prettige Kerstdagen en Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar. (Merry Christmas, Happy New Year).

BIG hugs to you, my dear friend!

Kathi
  • Gloria09
    Gloria09 Member Posts: 190
    Options
    KathiM said:

I'm laughing....you are so right!!!!
    Living in paradise does come with some worries..lol!

We have a trouble with our heating here, but our roof was fixed last year...so bring on the rain! We will possibly need to wait a bit after arriving home in Holland for the snow, but it's VERY cold there right now...and the heating is on the fritz there, too...lol...maybe we should have stayed a bit longer in Puerto Vallarta...it was mid-80's there...

The ornament is perfect!!!! Our exchange is on the 20th, so I'm all set...thank you so much again!

Thank you for the german....in dutch, it's Prettige Kerstdagen en Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar. (Merry Christmas, Happy New Year).

BIG hugs to you, my dear friend!

Kathi

KathiM
    Thank you for the walk around the deck! Bet that is the freshest air you could every breath in and out. Have fun in Holland! I've never been out of the country and Holland is one of many places I would love to visit some day.

Glaedelig Jul! (Danish)

Gloria