BarbieBarb43 newbie needs help

crselby
crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This gal needs our help so I am moving her post to a new thread, since she posted at the bottom of an old one.
Connie
hello, i'm very new to this
new
hello, i'm very new to this type of communication. i have never been in a chat room before, but i have found a lump in my left breast and have gone to the dr and been scheduled for tests because the dr found it to be suspicious, whatever that means it just scares the heck out of me. looking for someone who has been involved with this cause i have no one available to me that has delt with breast cancer and im pretty worried about it. my husband is just like, dont worry it will be ok. not sure how to feel or act. looking for some new advice.

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Thanks for posting,crselby,
    Thanks for posting,crselby, or rather, moving this one up for us to see!

BarbieBarb, first off, all of us here are sorry you might indeed need this site. We absolutely understand your fear, confusion, and general feeling of being overwhelmed. So, though it is certainly difficult, take a deep breath! Keep your Dr appointment, and the test will give you a better idea of what is going on. It may be an untrasound, or an MRI or a physical examination of your breast or even a biopsy. From there you will find out what the Dr is "suspicious" of, and you can take it from there. I hope your husband is on board for the journey; it is important that you take someone with you, as honestly, we can sorta blank out and not hear/understand what is being said to us. If your husband can't go with you (for any reason) take a trusted friend as your second pair of ears!

It may indeed be nothing! But in case it is what you fear most, namely Breast Cancer, know that this is a wonderfully safe place to land! We are a strong army of warrior-survivors in various stages of treatment. We come from myriad backgrounds and circumstances, and you will find yourself surrounded by a nurturing group of Kindred Spirits.

Let us know what happens at your appointment; don't ever be shy about coming in and posting!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Lumps can also be benign so
    Lumps can also be benign so try not to worry. It could be a cyst. Hang in there. Take someone with you when you see the doctor to take notes. I spaced out when I went and didn't hear everything that was said. Hugs.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Marcia527 said:

Lumps can also be benign so
    Lumps can also be benign so try not to worry. It could be a cyst. Hang in there. Take someone with you when you see the doctor to take notes. I spaced out when I went and didn't hear everything that was said. Hugs.

yes many lumps are benign
    yes many lumps are benign and wishing this for you !!!!!!
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    carkris said:

yes many lumps are benign
    yes many lumps are benign and wishing this for you !!!!!!

It's hard not to worry--BUT:
    Just as a couple of examples of benign lumps that are possible and even sometimes common--

Drinking coffee or other highly caffeinated products can lead to the development of benign lumps that are sometimes painful/tender. Shooting pains in the breast can develop from too much caffeine (where too much is above a threshold that can vary from person to person). Twice I had caffeine-related lumps in the past 15 years, and both times the lumps disappeared after I quit drinking caffeinated beverages for a month.

Plenty of women have other lumps that appear related to their breast tissue that are benign, e.g., fibrocystic breast disease or fibroadenomas, neither of which is cancerous.

Women who are breastfeeding or who were recently breastfeeding may develop galactoceles (milk-filled lumps).

Breast cysts may appear late in one's menstrual cycle when the body is retaining fluid anyway. These are related to changes in hormone levels.

Getting hit in the breasts can lead to the development of a lump from internal bleeding--a hematoma.

Cysts (noncancerous) can develop in the ducts.

Here's the bottom line: "Most breast lumps aren't cancerous" (Mayo Clinic Family Health Book, 3rd ed., 2003, p. 835).

I know it's hard not to worry--I was terrified the first time we found a lump 12 or so years ago.

Let us know how things go!

Sandy
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Barbiebarb as stated, many
    BarbieBarb as stated, many lumps are benign. I've had 2 benign lumps. I know you are scared and concerned but if you can, take it a day at a time. There is no need to worry, because you cant change what is. If it is not benign then you will take the necessary steps to correct it, if it is benign that will be happy news. Be realistic, but dont create a problem in your mind and body before there is a problem. This is easier said than done, but it can be done. My prayer for you is that you will get a benign diagnosis. Please let us know your outcome.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    natly15 said:

Barbiebarb as stated, many
    BarbieBarb as stated, many lumps are benign. I've had 2 benign lumps. I know you are scared and concerned but if you can, take it a day at a time. There is no need to worry, because you cant change what is. If it is not benign then you will take the necessary steps to correct it, if it is benign that will be happy news. Be realistic, but dont create a problem in your mind and body before there is a problem. This is easier said than done, but it can be done. My prayer for you is that you will get a benign diagnosis. Please let us know your outcome.

Praying that they are
    Praying that they are benign!

HUGS
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Praying that they are
    Praying that they are benign!

HUGS

Actually, most lumps are
    Actually, most lumps are benign. So, I will pray that is the news that you will get. Try not to worry, even though I know that is impossible.

Leeza
  • Gloria09
    Gloria09 Member Posts: 190
    Hang in there ... we are
    Hang in there ... we are with you every step of the way!
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Gloria09 said:

Hang in there ... we are
    Hang in there ... we are with you every step of the way!

Hi Barbiebarb, just wanted
    Hi Barbiebarb, just wanted to let you know that you're in my thoughts and prayers. When do you have your tests? I also had a cyst in my breast that was swollen and causing me pain. At the time I was worried that it was bc, but it was tested and went away by itself. Hoping for the best results for you. Keep us posted and we're here for you anytime, 24/7.
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Hello Barbie
    I'm praying for good results for you!! Hugs, Diane