Post treatment pap tests

deanna14
deanna14 Member Posts: 732
Are any of you getting routine pap smears after the hysterectomy, chemo and radiation? My understanding is that the top of the vagina is a common site for reoccurance. Wouldn't that make it important to do pap smears to that area to check for changes in that tissue? Are any of your doctors recommending pap smears? I am going to ask my doctor about it next week at my appointment.

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Outlaw_Josie
    Outlaw_Josie Member Posts: 41
    Pap smears
    Just recovering from radical hysto on Nov. 17, oncologist says paps every 3 months. But he didn't say for how long...a question I plan to ask him on Dec. 14 post-surgical follow up and (ugh) pelvic exam. (I guess I might as well get used to planning onna regular feet inna stirrups experience.)
  • fuzzytrouble
    fuzzytrouble Member Posts: 212
    Pap Smear
    I got them every 3 months, except while on chemo I am not getting them. You haven't had any yet Deanna?
    Thinking of you from Oregon,
    Sharon
  • Songflower
    Songflower Member Posts: 608
    Pap smears
    Every three months and she really roughs up the deep end to get the cuff. Diane
  • shortmarge
    shortmarge Member Posts: 291

Pap smears
    Every three months and she really roughs up the deep end to get the cuff. Diane

Paps
    Same as Diane.... Last one she really, really dug deep and my PAP came back abnormal saying that I had changing cells. Gyn/Oncol says that is normal after having radiation...

Hugs to all!
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980

Paps
    Same as Diane.... Last one she really, really dug deep and my PAP came back abnormal saying that I had changing cells. Gyn/Oncol says that is normal after having radiation...

Hugs to all!

I had a PAP 4 months after last radiation, then every 3 months
    I am to have a PAP every 3 months. I had my 1st post-treatment PAP last month (since I had my radiation after all of my chemo & the gyn-onc wanted to wait 4 months post-radiation). I'm pretty sure the plan is for every 3 months. The gyn-onc said, when he did the PAP, that there was a little 'flaw' up there that he attributed to brachy damage and he'd see me in 3 months to see if it was fully healed. It didn't light up on the PET, but he didn't seem to think it would. I never got any feedback on the PAP outcome, so I guess I should ask about the Monday when I go for chemo.

PS: Claudia emailed me last night with an idea of using heat on that malignant armpit node that has been hurting me. I tucked a heating pad under my arm last night because I just couldn't get comfortable to go to sleep. (It hurt to lay on that side, and then the weight of my arm on it hurt when I layed on the other side.) Anyway, the warmth of the heating pad and a pillow under my elbow to keep my arm propped up off the tender area really helped, and I slept soundly. So, a special THANK YOU to Claudia!
  • kellyw314
    kellyw314 Member Posts: 51

I had a PAP 4 months after last radiation, then every 3 months
    I am to have a PAP every 3 months. I had my 1st post-treatment PAP last month (since I had my radiation after all of my chemo & the gyn-onc wanted to wait 4 months post-radiation). I'm pretty sure the plan is for every 3 months. The gyn-onc said, when he did the PAP, that there was a little 'flaw' up there that he attributed to brachy damage and he'd see me in 3 months to see if it was fully healed. It didn't light up on the PET, but he didn't seem to think it would. I never got any feedback on the PAP outcome, so I guess I should ask about the Monday when I go for chemo.

PS: Claudia emailed me last night with an idea of using heat on that malignant armpit node that has been hurting me. I tucked a heating pad under my arm last night because I just couldn't get comfortable to go to sleep. (It hurt to lay on that side, and then the weight of my arm on it hurt when I layed on the other side.) Anyway, the warmth of the heating pad and a pillow under my elbow to keep my arm propped up off the tender area really helped, and I slept soundly. So, a special THANK YOU to Claudia!

pap smears
    My gyn/onc said that radiation skews pap results - waited 6 months after treatment before doing a pap - did instruct nurse to mark my sample as "rad 1" - this result was normal and I have repeat smears yearly - agree that scrape is deep as there is always significant post-bleeding
  • bella09
    bella09 Member Posts: 37 Member

Paps

Hugs to all!

Pap test
    My first pap test post op was in October and mine was the same as Diane and Marge's. I was told that I would have to go back every three months. A nurse from my oncologist's office called and told me that my pap test came back okay. I had my first Cat Scan in October and that came back normal. I cried at the news. I was happy, but still couldn't believe the news. I was scheduled for a pet scan, but my insurance company denied it. I had told myself from the beginning that I wouldn't be okay in my mind if I had the cat scan only. I guess I will believe it until someone tells me differently. I am coming up on my one year date of diagnosis. I have been having difficult days with this. Has this happened to anyone else?

Jean
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

• bella09 said:

Pap test
    My first pap test post op was in October and mine was the same as Diane and Marge's. I was told that I would have to go back every three months. A nurse from my oncologist's office called and told me that my pap test came back okay. I had my first Cat Scan in October and that came back normal. I cried at the news. I was happy, but still couldn't believe the news. I was scheduled for a pet scan, but my insurance company denied it. I had told myself from the beginning that I wouldn't be okay in my mind if I had the cat scan only. I guess I will believe it until someone tells me differently. I am coming up on my one year date of diagnosis. I have been having difficult days with this. Has this happened to anyone else?

Jean

• deanna14

Pap Smear
    I got them every 3 months, except while on chemo I am not getting them. You haven't had any yet Deanna?
    Thinking of you from Oregon,
    Sharon

No pap smear yet!
    Okay, evidence continues to mount that I need to find a new gyn/onc even though it will mean traveling at least 3 hours!!
    I finished radiation last December and chemo the first week of June and have not had or been offered a pap smear. It just occurred to me when I posted here... I think I am just beginning to think clearly after chemo.
    Anyway, I see him on Friday for exam and the results of last weeks CT and I am going to insist on a Pap Smear!
    Thinking about also requesting all of my medical records and taking them for a second opinion. Has anyone heard of any good gyn/onc in the Kansas City or St. Louis, MO areas? My husband wants to check into MD Anderson, but that is much further. Thinking....thinking...thinking...
    Thanks for all of the answers ladies!
  • kellyw314
    kellyw314 Member Posts: 51
    unknown said:

pap smears
    My gyn/onc said a recurrence (mine was 1-C endometrial) occurs most often in the vaginal cuff - hence the need to monitor that area with a pap smear - For the 1st two years I saw him every 3 months for a full internal/rectal exam with 1st Pap at 6 months post radiation and yearly since than - will be 4 years ned May 2010 if I continue to do well - Starting this past year, my appt schedule has been stretched to every 6 months as I have had good reports thus far
  • deanna14
    kellyw314 said:

pap smears
    My gyn/onc said a recurrence (mine was 1-C endometrial) occurs most often in the vaginal cuff - hence the need to monitor that area with a pap smear - For the 1st two years I saw him every 3 months for a full internal/rectal exam with 1st Pap at 6 months post radiation and yearly since than - will be 4 years ned May 2010 if I continue to do well - Starting this past year, my appt schedule has been stretched to every 6 months as I have had good reports thus far

Congrats Kelly!
    I will definately be asking for a pap smear on Friday when I see my gyn/onc... it has been 15 months since surgery and no pap yet!!!
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    I get PAP smears at each one
    I get PAP smears at each one of my appointments which at first was every three months, then every six months. Also, if you use KY Jelly or something like that if you have a dialator, it could give you atypical results on your smears. Just don't use it 48 hours prior to testing.

Further, brachyrads can cause atypical smears too. I had an atypical result in March (although I had used KY Jelly a day before) and in July it was negative. (didn't use KY Jelly for several days).
  • livenow09
    livenow09 Member Posts: 60
    PAP SMEARS
    every three months for 2 years (maybe 3 years)

Marie
  • Kate2005
    Kate2005 Member Posts: 7
    deanna14 said:

No pap smear yet!
    Okay, evidence continues to mount that I need to find a new gyn/onc even though it will mean traveling at least 3 hours!!
    I finished radiation last December and chemo the first week of June and have not had or been offered a pap smear. It just occurred to me when I posted here... I think I am just beginning to think clearly after chemo.
    Anyway, I see him on Friday for exam and the results of last weeks CT and I am going to insist on a Pap Smear!
    Thinking about also requesting all of my medical records and taking them for a second opinion. Has anyone heard of any good gyn/onc in the Kansas City or St. Louis, MO areas? My husband wants to check into MD Anderson, but that is much further. Thinking....thinking...thinking...
    Thanks for all of the answers ladies!

Doctor Recommendations
    I don't know how close you are to either KC or St. Louis but I'm seeing a gyn/onc in Wichita who studied at MD Anderson. Dr. James Delmore I have only seen him 1 time but he took a lot of time and care with me. My sister works at a hospital in Wichita and he is highly recommended in the medical field also.
  • daisy366
    daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member
    livenow09 said:

PAP SMEARS
    every three months for 2 years (maybe 3 years)

Marie

paps quarterly for me
    And Bella, you probably have Aetna which believes PETs are experimental for uterine cancer but not for ovarian - I wonder what genius came up with this protocol?? Probably not a woman.

Fight fight fight. Gather the troops around you. I started a thread on this topic in Nov - so check it out or email me at daisyelder@comcast.net

Mary Ann
  • threegirlsandme
    threegirlsandme Member Posts: 11
    daisy366 said:

paps quarterly for me
    And Bella, you probably have Aetna which believes PETs are experimental for uterine cancer but not for ovarian - I wonder what genius came up with this protocol?? Probably not a woman.

Fight fight fight. Gather the troops around you. I started a thread on this topic in Nov - so check it out or email me at daisyelder@comcast.net

Mary Ann

paps every 3 months for me
    and as if that is not enough I find the daily (for first 3 months after radiation) dialator dreadful. But I am happy to be here to complain! I ask my gyn/onc how long I must do this and he said for the rest of your life.I am a single, busy, Mom. Any advice?