Radiation BEFORE or AFTER Exchange Surgery?

CoeBruno
CoeBruno Member Posts: 19 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Can anyone out there share their experience with me about radiation treatments done with tissue expanders and implants? I have heard pros and cons to both. My Dr. wants to do my exchange surgery first and then have my radiation treatments. A friend of mine has had it done the other way....radiation treatments with tissue expanders and then the exchange surgery. Please, if anyone can share their experience with me I would truly appreciate it! Thank you sooooo much.

Colette

Comments

• kathyDDD
    kathyDDD Member Posts: 34
    Hi Colette,
    My sequence was

Hi Colette,

My sequence was chemo, then a double mastectomy, then radiation. I will have my recon in June. My plastic surgeon, breast suregon, and radiation oncologist all said that to do radiation during or after the recon can sometimes distort the reconstructive efforts. I finished everything On Oct 20 and can say I feel relieved at not having things done to me for a while. Your body and spirit need some time to recover and adjust. I don't know if this helps, but whatever you decide, I'll be thinking about you. Good luck.

Kathy
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    kathyDDD said:

Hi Colette,
    My sequence was

Hi Colette,

My sequence was chemo, then a double mastectomy, then radiation. I will have my recon in June. My plastic surgeon, breast suregon, and radiation oncologist all said that to do radiation during or after the recon can sometimes distort the reconstructive efforts. I finished everything On Oct 20 and can say I feel relieved at not having things done to me for a while. Your body and spirit need some time to recover and adjust. I don't know if this helps, but whatever you decide, I'll be thinking about you. Good luck.

Kathy

Hi Colette and welcome. I
    Hi Colette and welcome. I don't have any info for you because I had a lumpectomy with radiation treatments. I hope you find some answers. Good luck to you!

Hugs, Diane ♥