Anyone taking zometa for bone mets?? Reduced ejection fraction with herceptin

mlmjt1
mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone

I started zometa yesterday iv as part of a clinical trial to prevent bone mets for women who may be at risk for it and I have been funky all day today...really tired, achy, headache, a little nauseated, decreased appetite, bloating. My ejection fraction was down yesterday as well dropping from 70 percent down to 55 which is still normal, but too low for herceptin so I had to hold the dose yesterday.

Anyone have any thoughts on this???

Thanks guys...always know you guys are there for me
Hugs in advance

LInda T

Comments

• m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Linda T, I'm sorry the
    Linda T, I'm sorry the Zometa affected you this way. My first Zometa treatment laid me low for 3 days, with lots of flu-like symptoms. Aches, pains, nausea, vomiting, headache etc. However, I've had 3 more monthly treatments since then, and no side effects at all. All that I've read about Zometa says that reactions after the first injection may be mild to severe such as I described, but after that there would be little to no SE. The most important thing you can/must do for yourself is drink lots of water for the 24 hours surrounding the treatment. This also reduces the SE, but protects your kidneys as well. I don't know what the ejection fraction is? so I cannot comment on that. Hugs to you too.
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Hi Linda
    My first infusion kicked my butt for a couple of days too. I had the flu like symptoms also. My second infusion went really well.

Can't help with the other problem for I have been out of treatment for 5 yrs.

Hugs
    Jadie<3
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Jadie said:

Hi Linda
    My first infusion kicked my butt for a couple of days too. I had the flu like symptoms also. My second infusion went really well.

Can't help with the other problem for I have been out of treatment for 5 yrs.

Hugs
    Jadie<3</p>

Thanks guys
    THanks for answering my post...it really made me feel like I had the flu most of the day today, enough that I was thinking about dropping out of the study if it continues. I will drink lots of liquids and see if that will help and I do feel a bit better tonight.

THanks all
    LInda T
  • m_azingrace
    mlmjt1 said:

Thanks guys
    THanks for answering my post...it really made me feel like I had the flu most of the day today, enough that I was thinking about dropping out of the study if it continues. I will drink lots of liquids and see if that will help and I do feel a bit better tonight.

THanks all
    LInda T

Linda T
    Glad to hear you're feeling better! Future SE should be minimal. I am convinced that plenty of liquids is key.
  • marywest
    marywest Member Posts: 132

Linda T
    Glad to hear you're feeling better! Future SE should be minimal. I am convinced that plenty of liquids is key.

Ask your doctor about this
    This is for information and very worth asking and checking out. I was a prime target to go on a cinical trial for zometa, there was quite a bit of information on it and as I was reading it mentioned dental treatment should be done before taking it. My oncologist knew nothing about it and just wanted me to go on this trial. I said I need to do further checking. I talked to my dentist and he was very concerned. Zometa hardens your bones. If you were to have an extraction, a tooth pulled etc anything to do with the jaw bones, they dont' heal up. I went back and told my oncologist that, she then brought in the troops, the main lady who is getting volunteers for this program came in and tried talking me into it, I said I will do it if and only under one condition, I have teeth problems cause the chemo did a number on my mouth. I said I have a tooth that needs to be pulled and a cavity under my crown. I was also doing radiation at the same time. She said I will contact the dentist who is on the medical team and get his advise. She called me and said, the dentist said to have all dental work done immediatly before starting the zometa. I said well the answer is no, I am not going toothless while I am on radiation. I said I heard your bones will not heal up and she said will have it done now. I said the answer is no. So if your teeth are in great shape, good, but if you do have any dental work ahead, please get some more answeres before finishing your treatment. They avoided telling me this until I had to demand some answeres. Good luck, you really dont' need another thing to deal with after going through cancer.
  • m_azingrace
    marywest said:

Ask your doctor about this
    This is for information and very worth asking and checking out. I was a prime target to go on a cinical trial for zometa, there was quite a bit of information on it and as I was reading it mentioned dental treatment should be done before taking it. My oncologist knew nothing about it and just wanted me to go on this trial. I said I need to do further checking. I talked to my dentist and he was very concerned. Zometa hardens your bones. If you were to have an extraction, a tooth pulled etc anything to do with the jaw bones, they dont' heal up. I went back and told my oncologist that, she then brought in the troops, the main lady who is getting volunteers for this program came in and tried talking me into it, I said I will do it if and only under one condition, I have teeth problems cause the chemo did a number on my mouth. I said I have a tooth that needs to be pulled and a cavity under my crown. I was also doing radiation at the same time. She said I will contact the dentist who is on the medical team and get his advise. She called me and said, the dentist said to have all dental work done immediatly before starting the zometa. I said well the answer is no, I am not going toothless while I am on radiation. I said I heard your bones will not heal up and she said will have it done now. I said the answer is no. So if your teeth are in great shape, good, but if you do have any dental work ahead, please get some more answeres before finishing your treatment. They avoided telling me this until I had to demand some answeres. Good luck, you really dont' need another thing to deal with after going through cancer.

marywest is correct about dental procedures
    The original plan for my cancer was chemotherapy; I even had the port installed. In doing my homework, I found that for chemo, it would be best to enter treatment with a healthy mouth. I was able to schedule an exam with X-rays, and a deep cleaning. Then, as it turned out, the oncologist decided that Femara would be better for the cancer, with Zometa to strengthen my bones. He was pleased to know that my mouth was in good shape already, as he would have delayed the start of the Zometa otherwise. Zometa can cause osteonecrosis of the jaw---the bone literally dies.

Marywest, I'm glad you had the option of declining the Zometa. Not everyone has a choice. In my case, it was not offered as a clinical trial. Zometa (there are other similar drugs)is a necessity to keep my bones strong, because Femara weakens bone. So now for me, an important priority is to be sure to keep my teeth and gums healthy with good daily oral hygiene, regular exams and cleanings. If any dental problem should arise involving the bone (absess, cavity, need for root canal, etc), then the oncologist and the dentist will work together to find the best approach. That could mean discontinuing the Zometa for a period of time, to allow for healing. From what I've learned so far, people with healthy teeth and gums experience little to no trouble with osteonecrosis. Zometa can also cause kidney malfunction, so my blood is carefully checked prior to each infusion.

This all can be very scarey, but even so, the treatment is not worse than the disease. My cancer is stage IV, with mets to bone. I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to control/shrink the tumors and continue an active and productive life for as long as possible.
  • marywest
    marywest Member Posts: 132

marywest is correct about dental procedures
    The original plan for my cancer was chemotherapy; I even had the port installed. In doing my homework, I found that for chemo, it would be best to enter treatment with a healthy mouth. I was able to schedule an exam with X-rays, and a deep cleaning. Then, as it turned out, the oncologist decided that Femara would be better for the cancer, with Zometa to strengthen my bones. He was pleased to know that my mouth was in good shape already, as he would have delayed the start of the Zometa otherwise. Zometa can cause osteonecrosis of the jaw---the bone literally dies.

Marywest, I'm glad you had the option of declining the Zometa. Not everyone has a choice. In my case, it was not offered as a clinical trial. Zometa (there are other similar drugs)is a necessity to keep my bones strong, because Femara weakens bone. So now for me, an important priority is to be sure to keep my teeth and gums healthy with good daily oral hygiene, regular exams and cleanings. If any dental problem should arise involving the bone (absess, cavity, need for root canal, etc), then the oncologist and the dentist will work together to find the best approach. That could mean discontinuing the Zometa for a period of time, to allow for healing. From what I've learned so far, people with healthy teeth and gums experience little to no trouble with osteonecrosis. Zometa can also cause kidney malfunction, so my blood is carefully checked prior to each infusion.

This all can be very scarey, but even so, the treatment is not worse than the disease. My cancer is stage IV, with mets to bone. I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to control/shrink the tumors and continue an active and productive life for as long as possible.

Me to
    That was one of the biggest issues we talked about. my cancer which was stage four, had it spread or if it returns, and she said in my case its usualy is in the bones, I would't think twice about taking zometa. I think for me, urging me almost to the point of begging me to go on trial and not bringing up the possible side affects, was not putting my health in the best interest. None the less, its still a heads up for someone getting ready to take it to have all dental work completed. I guess in my situation I felt like I was sorta blindsided, urging me to go on it and not saying a word about my dental situation, which I needed. None the less, I thank God for your health, what an ordeal to go through and what ever it takes to expand someone's life is pricless. I know what chemo does to the body, and I thank God for it. chemo destroyed my nerve endings and left me partialy paralized, serously not one day goes by that I dont' thank God for that drug it kills cancer cells. Once again I thank God for you and your health restores quickly. Mary