oncotype test

MCJ
MCJ Member Posts: 59
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
my wife was dx estrogen positive initially, 2.4 tumor, lymph nodes were clear 15 of 15 in the path report after mestectomy, [she had a suspect lymph node during an axilla mri, they did a biopsy prior to surgery and found a microscopic piece of cancer], oncologist recommended light chemo [two drugs 4x every 3 weeks], estrogen blocker for 5 yr. we were relieved, funny it's like being happy you were socked in only one eye instead of two

We asked for the oncotype test, he did not think it was necessary but granted our request, it was a disappointment, results showed she was estrogen neg, had a high score on recurrance, therefore the dr increased the chemo dosage considerably.
on the bright side [there's always a silver lining...yeh right] we would have been treating with the wrong drugs,scary.

anyone get close to this???
and thanks to a few of you ladies I will be doing a little more research, and thanks to all of you, this is a beautiful place.

Jerry

Comments

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Hi
    Jerry, I didn't have chemo, so, I can't help you with that. I just want to say how sorry I am that your wife has bc and has to have chemo. I wish you all the best!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    DianeBC said:

Hi
    Jerry, I didn't have chemo, so, I can't help you with that. I just want to say how sorry I am that your wife has bc and has to have chemo. I wish you all the best!

Hugs, Diane ♥

Hi Jerry,
    My score was 32. The Dr decided my chemo should be dense-dose - every two weeks instead of three. He wanted to "hit it hard" - so that was scarey. I was E/P positive and Her2- Stage 2, grade 3 (tumor 3.5). I had surgery first - lost one breast, then had chemo. Seems like everyone else had radiation as well but he didn't recommend that for me.
    Ask lots of questions and research - just don't go overboard with some of the stuff you can read on the internet - check out the good sites - ACS, Mayo Clinic -- I'm sure you'll get some great advice from the other "sisters" on this board.
    I'll keep your wife & you in my prayers! Take care & keep coming back!
    much love,
    Jenny
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896
    DianeBC said:

Hi

Hugs, Diane ♥

Hi Jerry,
    My score was 32. The Dr decided my chemo should be dense-dose - every two weeks instead of three. He wanted to "hit it hard" - so that was scarey. I was E/P positive and Her2- Stage 2, grade 3 (tumor 3.5). I had surgery first - lost one breast, then had chemo. Seems like everyone else had radiation as well but he didn't recommend that for me.
    Ask lots of questions and research - just don't go overboard with some of the stuff you can read on the internet - check out the good sites - ACS, Mayo Clinic -- I'm sure you'll get some great advice from the other "sisters" on this board.
    much love,
    Jenny
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411

Hi Jerry,
    much love,
    Jenny

my
    dx was stage 2 er/pr + her- grade 2 tumor it was 2.3 in size. no lymph node involment. my score was a 10 for the oncotype. I read as much as i could about the oncotype test and feel it's very accurate. not because my score was so low but the lab that tests it is the only lab doing this. They have done thousands of tests. one sister on here scored a minus number. It's Pammy akissforme. Hers was ran 2 times becsue they had never seen that before. So there are many of us on here who have had the test and all scores are different. I'm sure by now you have looked at the websites that sunrea recomended. Good luck to your wife and please keep us informed...
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Calleen said:

my
    dx was stage 2 er/pr + her- grade 2 tumor it was 2.3 in size. no lymph node involment. my score was a 10 for the oncotype. I read as much as i could about the oncotype test and feel it's very accurate. not because my score was so low but the lab that tests it is the only lab doing this. They have done thousands of tests. one sister on here scored a minus number. It's Pammy akissforme. Hers was ran 2 times becsue they had never seen that before. So there are many of us on here who have had the test and all scores are different. I'm sure by now you have looked at the websites that sunrea recomended. Good luck to your wife and please keep us informed...

I did not have it done
    because my was Stage III
    Good sites to check it out:
    http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/44.cfm
    http://www.cancer.gov/