? Thoughts on changing mastectomy date

Lynda53
Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
IBC, the cancer has shrunk drastically.My surgeon said IF I want to wait until after the holidays it is acceptable. Of course, my oncologist will have the final say, and I am unsure today how he will be,(until he gets mri.)
I'll have the mri Monday, then change heart meds which puts me close to Dec 22. I don't see an issue in waiting another week. Even just after hristmas, New Years is no big deal.My friends and family think I am just prolonging the inevitable. I don't think this is the case.
My Mom is elderly and I would like to have a Christmas with her justin case.
Your thoughts?
Peace

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Lynda
    Lynda,
    December 8, 2008 I was diagnosed with DCIS with invasion and did not have my surgery until February 2, 2009.

I would ask your doctor because waiting another week or two should not be a problem.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • Lynda53

Lynda
    Lynda,
    December 8, 2008 I was diagnosed with DCIS with invasion and did not have my surgery until February 2, 2009.

I would ask your doctor because waiting another week or two should not be a problem.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

Hugs,
    Margo

Thanks Margo my diag was early Sept
    I was on chemo, had to stop (allergic), and then a heart issue, now just trying to figure it all out.
    Peace
  • tommaseena
    Lynda53 said:

Thanks Margo my diag was early Sept
    I was on chemo, had to stop (allergic), and then a heart issue, now just trying to figure it all out.
    Peace

I found a thread that had my
    I found a thread that had my story in it and I had forgotten to mention in it that my ejection fraction had dropped after the A/C treatment and that I had echocardiograms every three weeks and was put on Lisinopril 5mg to help my heart and then my ejection fraction came back to normal readings and now I have echocardiograms every three months again.

As you can see I had chemo after my surgery and not before.

Routine mammogram 11/10/2008--calcifications seen in left breast.
    Special views 11/14/2008--cluster of calcification seen and biopsy recommended.
    Left breast stereotactic guided mammotome biopsy 12/3/2008.
    Diagnosis of DCIS with invasion 12/8/2008. Recommendation lumpectomy ONLY. Told my son who was 5 at the time that I had cancer and explained to him everything.
    MRI of both breasts 12/15/2008.
    Second opinion at Massachusetts General 1/14/2009 with Multidisciplinary Team with chest x-ray and BRCA1 and BRCA2 testing. Recommendation from Team-mastectomy because they could not tell where the invasion was. I opted for a bilateral mastectomy because of strong family history of BC.
    Plastic surgeon consult-1/23/2009.
    Bilateral mastectomies with tissue expanders put under the pec muscles 2/2/2009-my 45th birthday--"out with the old and in with the new."
    Home on 2/4/2009.
    Found out the I was ER and PR negative but HER2 pos.
    First expansion 2/9/2009. Several expansions til 10/6/2009.
    Follow-up visit in Massachusetts 2/19/2009.
    Met with Oncologist 2/20/2009.
    Had port put in 3/2/2009.
    Started chemo 3/10/2009. Finished chemo 7/23/2009 day before Jake turned 6. Still on Herceptin until the end of August 2010.
    Hair started falling out in clumps 3/26/2009.
    Head shaving party at work with friends and family 3/27/2009.
    I had tissue expanders removed 11/10/2009 with silicone implants put in. No muscle reconstruction except for expanding the pec muscles.

I have not decided whether to have the nipple reconstruction and tattooing yet.

It has been a long journey but with the support from my family and friends and this site it is a little less painful.

All my best,
    Margo
  • Lynda53

I found a thread that had my
    I found a thread that had my story in it and I had forgotten to mention in it that my ejection fraction had dropped after the A/C treatment and that I had echocardiograms every three weeks and was put on Lisinopril 5mg to help my heart and then my ejection fraction came back to normal readings and now I have echocardiograms every three months again.

As you can see I had chemo after my surgery and not before.

Routine mammogram 11/10/2008--calcifications seen in left breast.
    Special views 11/14/2008--cluster of calcification seen and biopsy recommended.
    Left breast stereotactic guided mammotome biopsy 12/3/2008.
    Diagnosis of DCIS with invasion 12/8/2008. Recommendation lumpectomy ONLY. Told my son who was 5 at the time that I had cancer and explained to him everything.
    MRI of both breasts 12/15/2008.
    Second opinion at Massachusetts General 1/14/2009 with Multidisciplinary Team with chest x-ray and BRCA1 and BRCA2 testing. Recommendation from Team-mastectomy because they could not tell where the invasion was. I opted for a bilateral mastectomy because of strong family history of BC.
    Plastic surgeon consult-1/23/2009.
    Bilateral mastectomies with tissue expanders put under the pec muscles 2/2/2009-my 45th birthday--"out with the old and in with the new."
    Home on 2/4/2009.
    Found out the I was ER and PR negative but HER2 pos.
    First expansion 2/9/2009. Several expansions til 10/6/2009.
    Follow-up visit in Massachusetts 2/19/2009.
    Met with Oncologist 2/20/2009.
    Had port put in 3/2/2009.
    Started chemo 3/10/2009. Finished chemo 7/23/2009 day before Jake turned 6. Still on Herceptin until the end of August 2010.
    Hair started falling out in clumps 3/26/2009.
    Head shaving party at work with friends and family 3/27/2009.
    I had tissue expanders removed 11/10/2009 with silicone implants put in. No muscle reconstruction except for expanding the pec muscles.

I have not decided whether to have the nipple reconstruction and tattooing yet.

It has been a long journey but with the support from my family and friends and this site it is a little less painful.

All my best,
    Margo

margo may I ask where in MA treated
    I am at the new Dana Farber/Brigham Womens. SSH
  • tommaseena
    Lynda53 said:

margo may I ask where in MA treated
    I am at the new Dana Farber/Brigham Womens. SSH

I went
    My surgeon was Michelle Gadd at Mass Gen who specializes in breast surgery.
    My plastic surgeon was Eleanor Pitts at Faulkner Hospital.

They both also do surgeries at Newton-Wellesley that is where my surgeries took place.

Awesome surgeons.
  • Lynda53

I went
    My surgeon was Michelle Gadd at Mass Gen who specializes in breast surgery.
    My plastic surgeon was Eleanor Pitts at Faulkner Hospital.

They both also do surgeries at Newton-Wellesley that is where my surgeries took place.

Awesome surgeons.

a friend had Pitts at Faulkner awesome
    Best wishes
    Peace