wigs,any info on washing them.

ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,I really need to wash and set my wig.Its not real hair,does it take along time to get it dry?I know of course I can not use any heat on it.I have one wig so I am wondering how long it takes to get dry.Any advice would be appriatted.I really like it and don,t want to ruin it.Thanks,i appriatte it.Love and prayers(Pat).

Comments

• xskeetshooter
    xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169
    i have the same kind of wid
    i use baby shampoo, squeeze out excess water shake and let it sit for a day ,will go right back into shape
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

i use baby shampoo, squeeze out excess water shake and let it sit for a day ,will go right back into shape

This may sound silly, but,
    This may sound silly, but, can you take it to a beauty shop? They might do it for almost nothing, knowing that you are fighting bc. People's kindness stretches far sometimes. Other than that, just a mild shampoo and just let it air dry if you do it yourself.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • xskeetshooter
    xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169

forgot
    i wrap the wig in a towel and roll it to take out the water
  • Lynda53
    Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
    Synthetic wig care
    You are supposed to use the synthetic wig shampoo.I use baby shampoo as advised by wig lady. (but not advises for human hair ones!)
    1-Fill sink cold water
    2-Capful shampoo
    If it has smoke or other odor she suggested a t of baking soda too
    3 swish til soaked in, wash the front that hits uor forehead and if you have the skin coverin gwash that more too
    4 you can leave it to soak 10-15 mins
    5 rinse cold water (warm water relaxes any curls)
    6 spread on towel to dry overnight, I was told not to wring it.
    You can add a wig conitioner as it is drying ( I do not)
    When dry resytle with pick (brushes/combs on hand tied are tough)
    Shake & fluff works well w/mine
    Mine was far from cheap so I try to do what I am supposed to do, so far it is fine, 4 months, January/February I get a new one
    Peace
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    My wig is kind of short and
    My wig is kind of short and no curls... I'm wearing it in my picture. It seems Lynda gave perfect instructions. I was worried about it not drying in time for work the next day, but it did. I washed it in cold water in the bathroom sink and rolled it up in a towel to pat dry (like xskeetshooter), then I hung it on my wig stand on top of a towel and it was dry the next morning. I brushed it and it was good as new!
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Hi Pat
    I just washed mine last night for the first time..it was fine..
    Just filled sink with cold water, used one capful of special "wig" shampoo, soaked for 5 mins. gently bobbed up and down a few times, drained water, rinsed in cold water, and then again with 1 capful of special "wig" conditioner..swished around a few times. then rinsed under spray tap gently to get everything out..patted dry lightly with towel, then hung on wire wigstand to dry. It was dry this morning, shook out to shape and smelled good!
  • cantthink
    cantthink Member Posts: 36

Hi Pat
    I just washed mine last night for the first time..it was fine..
    Just filled sink with cold water, used one capful of special "wig" shampoo, soaked for 5 mins. gently bobbed up and down a few times, drained water, rinsed in cold water, and then again with 1 capful of special "wig" conditioner..swished around a few times. then rinsed under spray tap gently to get everything out..patted dry lightly with towel, then hung on wire wigstand to dry. It was dry this morning, shook out to shape and smelled good!

drying wigs
    If you need it to dry faster don't use heat, it will frazzle and be ruined.
    I was told that anyway, and to use a small fan, with no heat, just put it on the fan
    like a wig stand, and it will dry in an hour or so. I got a free one, need to wash it too!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    cantthink said:

drying wigs
    If you need it to dry faster don't use heat, it will frazzle and be ruined.
    I was told that anyway, and to use a small fan, with no heat, just put it on the fan
    like a wig stand, and it will dry in an hour or so. I got a free one, need to wash it too!

Just use a very mild shampoo
    Just use a very mild shampoo and let it air dry is what I was told. I hope it works for you Pat!

HUGS
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Hi Pat
    Another tip: don't open the oven with your wig on. My bangs were melted and standing straight up. What a sight when I looked in the mirror!
  • ppurdin
    laurissa said:

Hi Pat
    Another tip: don't open the oven with your wig on. My bangs were melted and standing straight up. What a sight when I looked in the mirror!

Hi laurissa
    I am so sorry your wig got burned.Luckly a lady had told me that happened to her.So I remember,d and took it off when i was baking.I hope you have a replacement.take care.(Pat).
  • ppurdin
    laurissa said:

Hi Pat

Hi laurissa
    I am so sorry your wig got burned.Luckly a lady had told me that happened to her.So I remember,d and took it off when i was baking.I hope you have a replacement.take care.(Pat).
  • ppurdin
    wig turned out great.
    Thanks for all the great advice.i used the baby shampoe.And it looks great.I was so afraid of ruining it.I really love this wig.I probley won,t get another one that I like this well.So i am real happy it turned out good.Thanks again.Love and prayers(Pat).