lung cancer metastasis to brain

elyssa
elyssa Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Brain Cancer #1
Hi,

I am new to this group. My mother was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer in June and went through radiation and chemo - about 2 months ago she had a scan and they said she reacted great to treatment and was cancer free. About 2 weeks ago she started having HORRIBLE headaches and falling - she went in for a MRI on Monday and they found 3 tumors on her brain. They are all under 3 cmm so she started full brain radiation today - 13 sessions and then they will take another scan.

I feel SO HOPELESS and SCARED - she is my best friend. When she was diagnosed with the lung cancer they kept using the word "cure" now it is "manage” Does anyone have any advice, encouragement or can help me anticipate the near future.

Comments

• doug2112
    doug2112 Member Posts: 10
    My mom has 13 spots on her
    My mom has 13 spots on her brain she has just finished 15 radiation treatments. She is 75 years old it has made her very weak, but she still gets around ok. It has been one month since diagnosis. Have not heard yet how the tumors have reacted to the radiation yet. Her cancer began in a gland in her neck. The doctors don't talk of cure, but of treatment . Al we can do is hope and pray for the best. My mom has too many spots for surgery, but when there are only 2 or 3 sometimes they can remove them. I wish you and your mom the best.
    p.s. You might also ask the doc. if she is a candidate for Gamma Knife radiation treatments it is better and more precise.
  • elyssa
    elyssa Member Posts: 3
    doug2112 said:

My mom has 13 spots on her brain she has just finished 15 radiation treatments. She is 75 years old it has made her very weak, but she still gets around ok. It has been one month since diagnosis. Have not heard yet how the tumors have reacted to the radiation yet. Her cancer began in a gland in her neck. The doctors don't talk of cure, but of treatment . Al we can do is hope and pray for the best. My mom has too many spots for surgery, but when there are only 2 or 3 sometimes they can remove them. I wish you and your mom the best.
    p.s. You might also ask the doc. if she is a candidate for Gamma Knife radiation treatments it is better and more precise.

thank you
    Doug,

Thank you for your response. My mom is 6 radiations down now out of 13. The plan is if the radiation does not work on all 3 tumors then they will use the gamma knife procedures. Good luck - waiting for the scan is the hardest part.
  • DUSTYLV
    DUSTYLV Member Posts: 2
    elyssa said:

thank you
    Doug,

Thank you for your response. My mom is 6 radiations down now out of 13. The plan is if the radiation does not work on all 3 tumors then they will use the gamma knife procedures. Good luck - waiting for the scan is the hardest part.

lung to brain
    My 67 y.o. husband was diagnosed in August this year with inoperable lung cancer (10cmx8cmx5cm). Has had 26 radiation treatments, and 3 (6 hour) chemo sessions, and is now on Tarceva. We thought he had a stroke 3 days ago, took him to the ER, after brain scan, was admitted with tumors on the brain. Doctor now suggesting I call Hospice, says in his medical opinion that he would not benefit with surgery or any other treatment. This is all just too hard to comprehend for such a vibrant, energetic man.
  • doug2112
    doug2112 Member Posts: 10
    doug2112 said:

Bad News
    Mom is under Hospice care now. Her mind is not there anymore. Cant talk much and is very confused. May not have much time left now.
  • WingnPrayer
    WingnPrayer Member Posts: 27
    Lung Cancer Metastasis To Brain
    Hello, I am stage 4 lung, with metz-to-brain (2). (1) is at brain stem termed "Maintenance", (1) is at back of brain termed "operable" but they are currently using either 10 (whole or full) brain RADs (ending on Jan 5th). I am not sure what they will do after that. Maybe start on lung tumor, (single 2.8cm). Or maybe they'll do more on brain , I do not know. RAD Doctor seems to want to simply "ask me how I feel" in so much as do an assessment. I think I am not qualified to assess myself, frankly. I think I want another scan, or MRI, or something other than my own patient opinion.

I, as usually the case with lung cancer patients, find out pretty much when symptoms show up that are undeniable and when damage is already done, so "Manage" is pretty common I am finding out. You're doing the right thing in reading these discussion boards, but may I recommend checking out the chat room at your liesure? There are people who are not only patients, but others whoare care givers with experience who can be of NO SMALL SUPPORT to your caring for your best friend, your Mother.
    Please continue to stop in here, and update me, now that I know where to check in with you.
    Hugs, and Stuff.