Reaction to taxotere/length of time

Lynda53
Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have IBC,the intent was to shrink the cancer prior to the mastectomy. It has shrunk.I see my onco and surgeon tomorrow. I am sure they are moving my surgery up a few months.
I am concerned w/my taxotere side effects. (My throat closed)I still have shortness of breath. I had cardiac catheterization Monday (ouch),but no blockages,just a left ventricle issue (note just)
Anyone know how ling the taxotere stays in your system? I stopped it after 3rd treatment, around Nov 12th.
Thanks ladies you rock
Peace

Comments

• always
    always Member Posts: 256
    not sure
    I am not sure. It has a cummulative affect on your body, but not sure how long before it is out of your system. I am answering and bumping this up in hopes that someone else will know your answer. I hate seeing zero response.

take care
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    always said:

not sure
    I am not sure. It has a cummulative affect on your body, but not sure how long before it is out of your system. I am answering and bumping this up in hopes that someone else will know your answer. I hate seeing zero response.

take care

IDN I have treatment
    IDK I have treatment tomorrow and I can ask.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    carkris said:

IDN I have treatment
    IDK I have treatment tomorrow and I can ask.

everyone has a different reaction
    probably you can find a pharmokinetic number.
    I am sure Aventis manufacture of Taxotere) has it somewhere pharmokinetic data.
    As for people everyone is different. Fatigue can stay fro several months, your hair will grow back within 2-4 months, blood counts at least 3 weeks.
    It is also depends how many treatments did you have (4-8) it does have cumulative effect.
    Call your oncologist if you have problem and discuss your side effects and how to overcime them
    Good Luck
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    how long taxotere stays in body
    Hi,I would love to know the answer to this question.I had a alergic reaction to this drug.They stopped my chemo because of it.I broke out in hives all over my body.I made a trip to the emergency room.It has been 6 weeks and I still have to take allergy pills to keep from breaking out.I keep thinking it will go away soon.I hope.Good luck.Love and prayers.(pat).
  • S3
    S3 Member Posts: 28
    Call your onc office and
    Call your onc office and ask.
  • Lynda53
    Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
    thanks for the responses
    I know I can always ask the onco but first hand experience always seems better.
    Peace
  • Jomae
    Jomae Member Posts: 3
    ppurdin said:

how long taxotere stays in body
    Hi,I would love to know the answer to this question.I had a alergic reaction to this drug.They stopped my chemo because of it.I broke out in hives all over my body.I made a trip to the emergency room.It has been 6 weeks and I still have to take allergy pills to keep from breaking out.I keep thinking it will go away soon.I hope.Good luck.Love and prayers.(pat).

Hives from chemo
    I also had allergic reactions to Taxotere,during Infusions 1 & 2 immediately during Infusion. I was given large doses of benedryl and steroids and the Taxotere was continued without any reaction. But later, I developed painful hives on my chest, back and neck after my 2nd infusion of Taxotere during the 3rd week into it. My Onco said it was a "delayed allergic reaction" and told me to take Benedryl. It didn't help, I ended up in the ER where I was given a steroid shot and a dose pack of Methlypredisolone. It did work, and right away! But,it all came back after I got my next chemo infusion (around day 4.) My Onco kept telling me he never had a patient develope hives from chemo before. Until chemo, I never had such a horrific skin irritation in my life. Even now after a month off of chemo I still have super sensitive skin mostly on my back that prevents me from wearing certain fabrics, except for the most delicate cotton. Knowing I can't continue taking steroids from now on just to combat this skin disorder, I can only hope that "time" will heal me as the chemo slowly leaves my body. JOmae
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Lynda53 said:

thanks for the responses
    I know I can always ask the onco but first hand experience always seems better.
    Peace

I asked at my infusion and
    I asked at my infusion and they said usually 2 weeks to get out of your system. But the USUALLY does not refer to you at this time. I understand because I always get the weird side effect. I would think that this will not be forever but is taking your body time to process. i am sorry this is happening. keep us posted. sorry I couldnt be more help. I think you should ask your onc. I sther anything else you are taking that could be clouding the issue or something in your house? Could you go to an allergist?
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    carkris said:

I asked at my infusion and
    I asked at my infusion and they said usually 2 weeks to get out of your system. But the USUALLY does not refer to you at this time. I understand because I always get the weird side effect. I would think that this will not be forever but is taking your body time to process. i am sorry this is happening. keep us posted. sorry I couldnt be more help. I think you should ask your onc. I sther anything else you are taking that could be clouding the issue or something in your house? Could you go to an allergist?

Hives, too!
    I've had the hives, too! I didn't have an immediate reaction to the taxotere, but I've been on steroids twice and now on a daily allergy pill.

I've been out of chemo now for 8 weeks and I still have them! I hope they go away soon!
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Taxotere
    Hi - I was on taxotere/carboplaten. I had no side-effects other than neuropathy of the toes. The neuropathy didn't show up until about 2 months out of treatments and my toes feel so wierd. I have no idea how long it stays in the body, but I have my monthly meeting w/my oncologist this afternoon and will ask her. In the meantime, hang in there and listen to these wonderful ladies they all have our best interests at heart!
    Hugs - Pat
  • S3
    S3 Member Posts: 28
    I'm not sure how long it
    I'm not sure how long it stays in your body, however I just had my 6th treatment cancelled because of neuropathy with Taxotere. My problems were not as severe as yours and I will pray for you.