Can't Do MammoSite After All!! ARRGHGHG!

LadyParvati
LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
ARRRGHGHGGH!! I'm grouchy now!

The radiation oncologist just called me. The CT Scan they did yesterday shows that the balloon is VERY close to my underlying rib--too close for his or, after discussing it with him, for my comfort and future safety for doing the MammoSite radiation. So . . . no radiation treatments next week, no getting radiation over with in one week. I'll have to heal from the incision after they pull the balloon for ANOTHER two weeks before I can begin chemo, which must be next . . . *SIGH*

OK, Fine! Can we PLEASE just get on with SOME sort of treatment? I'm ready already! I hate this waiting and waiting and being in limbo! I feel so out of control.

Just venting--done now! Thanks for listening.

Hugs, Sandy

Comments

• crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    alternatives
    Hi Sandy,
    As a "quick rad chick" myself, I've been anxiously awaiting your post after your appointment. With this latest set back in planning you probably don't want to even consider any other options but would want to just move forward... but...

Did your radiation oncologist discuss with you any of the other, shorter, types of radiation? Or is the tumor so close to your rib that they don't want to do ANY kind of radiation?

I bring this up because the SAVI and Contura (both single entry devices), as well as the multicatheter, styles can deliver radiation precisely tailored to your needs. Here is a quote from my rad onc's website: The SAVI is a breast radiation device that targets radiation to the tissue adjacent to the lumpectomy site.It is a single entry device that allows sculping of the dose to avoid the skin, rib or other normal tissue that does not need radiation. It can be custom-fitted to your lumpectomy cavity, regardless of what shape or size it may be.

I am not a salesperson. I just want to see women get the best treatment available. Remember, at one time, all that was offered was Mastectomy and full removal of lymph nodes. This kind of radiation for early stage breast cancers is new-er but not at all unproven. You just have to find a doc who knows how to do it. The other docs don't even tell you about these options! Grrr. That just makes me mad!

Although when I went through my surgery and treatments (July to September) I assumed all breast cancer patients knew about these options, I am finding that NOT to be the case, especially in smaller towns.

Sandy, please look into these options, perhaps with a different rad onc. I want for you the easy radiation treatment style I experienced! I wish it was available to every one of us!
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    crselby said:

alternatives
    Hi Sandy,
    As a "quick rad chick" myself, I've been anxiously awaiting your post after your appointment. With this latest set back in planning you probably don't want to even consider any other options but would want to just move forward... but...

Did your radiation oncologist discuss with you any of the other, shorter, types of radiation? Or is the tumor so close to your rib that they don't want to do ANY kind of radiation?

I bring this up because the SAVI and Contura (both single entry devices), as well as the multicatheter, styles can deliver radiation precisely tailored to your needs. Here is a quote from my rad onc's website: The SAVI is a breast radiation device that targets radiation to the tissue adjacent to the lumpectomy site.It is a single entry device that allows sculping of the dose to avoid the skin, rib or other normal tissue that does not need radiation. It can be custom-fitted to your lumpectomy cavity, regardless of what shape or size it may be.

I am not a salesperson. I just want to see women get the best treatment available. Remember, at one time, all that was offered was Mastectomy and full removal of lymph nodes. This kind of radiation for early stage breast cancers is new-er but not at all unproven. You just have to find a doc who knows how to do it. The other docs don't even tell you about these options! Grrr. That just makes me mad!

Although when I went through my surgery and treatments (July to September) I assumed all breast cancer patients knew about these options, I am finding that NOT to be the case, especially in smaller towns.

Sandy, please look into these options, perhaps with a different rad onc. I want for you the easy radiation treatment style I experienced! I wish it was available to every one of us!

Yeah, I looked into those.
    Yeah, I looked into those. Before I had my appt with the two doctors I interviewed at the university research/medical center, I had found research pubs about those, so I asked. Unfortunately, neither is done in my state and insurance won't pay if I go out of state. *sigh*

I'm going to end up with "carefully aimed" external beam radiation--the 7 week version.

From what I can tell, the doc I chose for my surgery/team leader actually works very hard to stay up on all the latest research and lobbies to get the latest treatments into our state, but I live in a very conservative state where, for example, the doctors were still doing labor & delivery with women in stirrups & automatic epidurals/spinal blocks when I moved here, though other states had stopped doing those 10-15 years before. *sigh* As good as my surgical oncologist is, though, maybe he's a little too invested in MammoSite . . . but he didn't seem anti-Contura or anti-SAVI--just said we can't do those here yet.

No other dr I interviewed was even willing to consider MammoSite or accelerated radiation at all.

You're right that I want to move forward, but I keep reminding myself that moving forward may need to include more research, more interviews . . . I know a couple other places I can check, so I'll plan that for Monday! Thanks for the encouragement!

Hugs! Sandy
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member

Yeah, I looked into those.
    Yeah, I looked into those. Before I had my appt with the two doctors I interviewed at the university research/medical center, I had found research pubs about those, so I asked. Unfortunately, neither is done in my state and insurance won't pay if I go out of state. *sigh*

I'm going to end up with "carefully aimed" external beam radiation--the 7 week version.

From what I can tell, the doc I chose for my surgery/team leader actually works very hard to stay up on all the latest research and lobbies to get the latest treatments into our state, but I live in a very conservative state where, for example, the doctors were still doing labor & delivery with women in stirrups & automatic epidurals/spinal blocks when I moved here, though other states had stopped doing those 10-15 years before. *sigh* As good as my surgical oncologist is, though, maybe he's a little too invested in MammoSite . . . but he didn't seem anti-Contura or anti-SAVI--just said we can't do those here yet.

No other dr I interviewed was even willing to consider MammoSite or accelerated radiation at all.

You're right that I want to move forward, but I keep reminding myself that moving forward may need to include more research, more interviews . . . I know a couple other places I can check, so I'll plan that for Monday! Thanks for the encouragement!

Hugs! Sandy

no alternatives
    Dying to know: what state do you live in? I can't imagine what state you live in that is so conservative medically that there is no one who is up on these things! In your shoes I would be... sigh-ing... I guess. I'm actually kind of angry, for your situation. But I'm sure the folks you'll be seeing are very good at the carefully aimed external beam, so you'll be in good hands. To paraphrase: we must take one day at a time.

Please know that I would love to hear how your search goes!

Chin up! I'm rooting for you. Connie