Concerned/Confused/Discouraged/Scared

S3
S3 Member Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Okay, so the onc has keept saying if you get this symptom or that one I will need to decrease the taxore. I have been getting the symptoms all along and telling him. Finally for my so called last treatment I asked to lower the taxotere dose because I was blacking out so bad I could not get out of bed or recliner to even get a drink of water. To walk I had to hold onto a wall. I could not tell if my feet were on the floor or not and my hands were not working, I have to look at them to even hold a glass. He cancelled the whole dose, including the Carboplatin. The surgeon doesn't have the avaible time to move up my surgery, (chemo before surgery for me to shrink nodes). My nodes have grown and I might not have surgery untill the 30th.

Comments

• elizarose
    elizarose Member Posts: 124
    I wish I had some answers
    I wish I had some answers for you. I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this! Is it possible you could find another surgeon? You might even want to consider a new oncologist. What part of the country are you in? If you need someone to talk to, you can PM me. I'll be praying for you!

Beth
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    elizarose said:

I wish I had some answers
    I wish I had some answers for you. I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this! Is it possible you could find another surgeon? You might even want to consider a new oncologist. What part of the country are you in? If you need someone to talk to, you can PM me. I'll be praying for you!

Beth

yes perhaps you can get a
    yes perhaps you can get a different surgeon, and get a second opinion on onc. I know you dont feel well and this would be hard. I dont know where you live but people here are from everywhere and can help.
  • S3
    carkris said:

yes perhaps you can get a
    yes perhaps you can get a different surgeon, and get a second opinion on onc. I know you dont feel well and this would be hard. I dont know where you live but people here are from everywhere and can help.

My surgeon's nurse asked why
    My surgeon's nurse asked why he didn't change the chemo and put me on one that did not cause neruropathy. I see her and a radiation onc next week. Maybe I can start rads before surgery and let that do it's thing, or find a different surgeon, however this is the top breast surgeon in the area. The node dissection only takes about 1 hour. All these other appointmetns are futher away, hopefully my feet start getting soem of the feeling back before I start all the driving.
    Thanks for your responses.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Nerve damage
    S3 if you have nerve damage in your hands and feet it is important to be very careful with them because you cannot feel properly any damage that may occur. I wear heat resistant gloves (similar to ove gloves) while cooking because I cannot feel the heat until it has done damage (left hand only). In regards to your feet you will want to wear a shoe with a good sole to protect from blisters and such if you will be on your feet for a longer than normal period of time.

RE
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    RE said:

Nerve damage
    S3 if you have nerve damage in your hands and feet it is important to be very careful with them because you cannot feel properly any damage that may occur. I wear heat resistant gloves (similar to ove gloves) while cooking because I cannot feel the heat until it has done damage (left hand only). In regards to your feet you will want to wear a shoe with a good sole to protect from blisters and such if you will be on your feet for a longer than normal period of time.

RE

S3, maybe you should look
    S3, maybe you should look into getting a new oncologist or at least a 2nd opinion? Let us know how you are doing.

Lex♥
  • S3
    Alexis F said:

S3, maybe you should look
    S3, maybe you should look into getting a new oncologist or at least a 2nd opinion? Let us know how you are doing.

Lex♥

Thanks for the responses and
    Thanks for the responses and advise. My feet and hands are still numb. I went through a lot of testing this week in prepration for surgery. Now I need a Bx on my unaffected side, so much for possibly moving up surgery, my blood work sucks and I am not healthy enough right now. I , hopefully will be by the 30th and my sterotatic bx should come back okay since I was on chemo pre surgery for cancer in the other breast/nodes.
    I never thought of wearing a glove when cooking, I'll do that.
    How long does the numbness and feet tripping last?