help for taste buds

LT
LT Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
As I was scanning old postings, I noticed the one about taste buds but I didn't want this recipe to get lost in case it can help some of you. I am 1 and 1/2 weeks out of first chemo and 1 1/2 weeks from 2nd and I'm down on the mat and chemo is winning right now. At first I was disappointed because I couldn't taste anything, but I'd take no taste rather than how terrible everything tastes now! My hubby has tried everything but nothing seems to taste tolerable - even water. A friend gave me a ACS book "What to eat during cancer" that has easy to fix recipes coded like TA for taste alterations, WL for weight loss, N for nausea, etc. I haven't tried the recipes yet, BUT it has a mouth rinse that did work for me this morning. A banana actually tasted like a banana and water like normal. I don't know how long it will last, but I was grateful for that banana taste!

I rinsed with this right before eating.
4 cups water
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp salt

I hope this helps someone. LT

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Taste Buds.....
    I hated that part of chemo.....no taste buds for a week....I tried many things..one week I ate tomatoes and cheese...one week watermelon......I could, for some reason taste those..Spicy things had some taste too.I just experimented until I found things that didn't taste like ALPO!....I was prescribed a mouthwash, called Nystatin, that I used and it helped me regain taste for about an hour.....I also used Biotine toothpaste and mouthwash.....I never had any mouth sores, thankfully
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Saltwater & baking soda
    I have rinsed and gargled with 4 ounces warm water & a half teaspoon of salt & baking soda since day one of chemo and haven't had any problems with taste buds or mouth sores... just once a day, at night before bed. Perhaps there is truth to it that it helps?
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    I Wish
    I had known that a year ago! I was without tastebuds from the beginning of December until the middle of April. Everything tasted like cardboard. I lived on soup and jello because that's all that could go down without gagging. Also Ginger Ale even though I couldn't taste it - the doctor said it was full of electrolytes and good for me as is jello. At least it went down ok. Oh well, at least its over now and the damn tastebuds are back and I still can't get enough of stuff to eat!!! LOL
    Hugs - Pat
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    padee6339 said:

I Wish
    I had known that a year ago! I was without tastebuds from the beginning of December until the middle of April. Everything tasted like cardboard. I lived on soup and jello because that's all that could go down without gagging. Also Ginger Ale even though I couldn't taste it - the doctor said it was full of electrolytes and good for me as is jello. At least it went down ok. Oh well, at least its over now and the damn tastebuds are back and I still can't get enough of stuff to eat!!! LOL
    Hugs - Pat

padee I wish I had known
    padee I wish I had known too, I have gotten to the point of not wanting to eat anything, it makes me feel better to know I will not put myself so behind because I dont exist on much. I keep working on it an then have a bad colon day and it puts me behind (so to speak) I have often made the comment that I will be complaining when after Ieat everything in sight and gain the weight back. (which i dont want to do)
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    carkris said:

padee I wish I had known
    padee I wish I had known too, I have gotten to the point of not wanting to eat anything, it makes me feel better to know I will not put myself so behind because I dont exist on much. I keep working on it an then have a bad colon day and it puts me behind (so to speak) I have often made the comment that I will be complaining when after Ieat everything in sight and gain the weight back. (which i dont want to do)

Great!
    Great info LT! Thanks!

Sue :)
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    carkris said:

padee I wish I had known

Oh yes Carkris -
    The appetite does come back and in me it was almost unmanageable. For some crazy reason the craving that bothers me most if for salt bagels. They are not easy to find down here, so I improvise. I want to eat everything I see. I have put back most of the weight I lost and am very embarrassed by this - I told everyone I wouldn't. Oh well -
    Pat
  • LT
    LT Member Posts: 31
    padee6339 said:

Oh yes Carkris -
    The appetite does come back and in me it was almost unmanageable. For some crazy reason the craving that bothers me most if for salt bagels. They are not easy to find down here, so I improvise. I want to eat everything I see. I have put back most of the weight I lost and am very embarrassed by this - I told everyone I wouldn't. Oh well -
    Pat

I completely understand Pat!
    I completely understand Pat! The mouthwash is no longer working for me - except for bananas and chocolate milk - so I am making a list of all the foods I want as soon as my taste buds come back! Tacos! Fried porkchops (yes, fried, even though we haven't fried since my husband's heart attack in 07). Spiral sliced Ham - Thanksgiving was such a disappointment. Nice juicy steak! Chili cheese dog! I dream about these so much I'm surprised I'm still losing weight. Before all I had to do was think of food and I gained weight. I'm pretty sure controlling my eating will be really hard once I can taste again!
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    LT said:

I completely understand Pat!
    I completely understand Pat! The mouthwash is no longer working for me - except for bananas and chocolate milk - so I am making a list of all the foods I want as soon as my taste buds come back! Tacos! Fried porkchops (yes, fried, even though we haven't fried since my husband's heart attack in 07). Spiral sliced Ham - Thanksgiving was such a disappointment. Nice juicy steak! Chili cheese dog! I dream about these so much I'm surprised I'm still losing weight. Before all I had to do was think of food and I gained weight. I'm pretty sure controlling my eating will be really hard once I can taste again!

Thanks LT
    I'll try it. I still have a revolting taste in my mouth all the time, cannot eat certain things, or taste them and the end of my tongue is on fire all the time.............18 months out of treatment. Anything is worth a try, thanks for posting this!

Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    tasha_111 said:

Thanks LT
    I'll try it. I still have a revolting taste in my mouth all the time, cannot eat certain things, or taste them and the end of my tongue is on fire all the time.............18 months out of treatment. Anything is worth a try, thanks for posting this!

Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have strange fantacys (sp)
    I have strange fantacys (sp) the other day I wanted a tuna sandwich I am allergic to tuna!!!
    its fleeting then I dont want it. Its like having anorexia. since I look at food and gain weight and my weight is stabilizing on taxol. I assume I will gain some back hope not all as it was pretty unhealthy. At first I blamed that for getting BC again Maybe I will have the energy to exersize? all your posts guys make me feel a little "normal" thanks for sharing.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    carkris said:

I have strange fantacys (sp)
    I have strange fantacys (sp) the other day I wanted a tuna sandwich I am allergic to tuna!!!
    its fleeting then I dont want it. Its like having anorexia. since I look at food and gain weight and my weight is stabilizing on taxol. I assume I will gain some back hope not all as it was pretty unhealthy. At first I blamed that for getting BC again Maybe I will have the energy to exersize? all your posts guys make me feel a little "normal" thanks for sharing.

Thanks LT for posting
    Thanks LT for posting this.

HUGS
  • Gloria09
    Gloria09 Member Posts: 190
    Scrape your tongue with a spoon?
    OK .. I have no idea if that will work but I had bad breath, sometimes with a burning tongue for a while. My dentist says it might be from menopause. Anyway he recommended that I scrape my tongue with a spoon while at the sink to brush and rinse with peroxide. The taste buds are in your tongue! So my routine is scrape, peroxide, brush then sometimes scrape and brush again.

For upset stomach I drink a small glass of water mixed with a half tsp of baking soda. One big burp and I feel so much better. A secret I found with that is not to drink it then lay down right away. If I move around a little (like changing my clothes for bed) then the bubble(s) work their way to the top.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    padee6339 said:

Oh yes Carkris -
    Pat

I know what
    you're talking about,Pat! I lost 40 some pounds because nothing tasted good-and thought I'll put some weight back,but not all of it. Well,I put it all back on and the polite people just say-you look so healthy now!So I've just joined up with Curves...
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    tasha_111 said:

Thanks LT

Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wow Tash!
    I feel so bad for you that it's been this far out and you still can't taste! I'd be frustrated for sure!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    tasha_111 said:

Thanks LT

Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Great info LT! Thank you
    Great info LT! Thank you for sharing it with us!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Gloria09 said:

Scrape your tongue with a spoon?
    OK .. I have no idea if that will work but I had bad breath, sometimes with a burning tongue for a while. My dentist says it might be from menopause. Anyway he recommended that I scrape my tongue with a spoon while at the sink to brush and rinse with peroxide. The taste buds are in your tongue! So my routine is scrape, peroxide, brush then sometimes scrape and brush again.

For upset stomach I drink a small glass of water mixed with a half tsp of baking soda. One big burp and I feel so much better. A secret I found with that is not to drink it then lay down right away. If I move around a little (like changing my clothes for bed) then the bubble(s) work their way to the top.

Good tips Gloria. Thank
    Good tips Gloria. Thank you! I love your picture also!
  • Gloria09
    Gloria09 Member Posts: 190

Good tips Gloria. Thank
    Good tips Gloria. Thank you! I love your picture also!

survivorbc09
    Thank you. I found out some interesting news last night about the baking soda. Went to a health/nutrition store to look at some vitamin options and the follow there recommneded baking sode with "no aluminum". Same for deoderant.