Masectomy

ccd
ccd Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am scheduled for an MRI tomorrow and a masectomy on 12/17. It hasn't even been a week since I learned that I have DCIS so this is all happening so fast! My DCIS is considered a level 3...I need to do more research on what this even means! I would welcome any advice on how the recovery of a masectomy will be and how long I will really be "off my feet".
I am overwhelmed by how wonderful everyone on this site is. How comforting to have friends I don't even know!!

cathy

Comments

• crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Try reading the comments under the thread: Recovery period....
    Hope it helps.
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Cathy,

I know what you mean by it all being so fast - I think quite a few of us feel that way when we are hit with the news. I also had DCIS level 3 and had a bilateral mastectomy. I was told I could go back to work two weeks after surgery but chose to stay home for a month (and I'm glad I did). My only real advice is to get as much help as you can after surgery and DON'T try to do too much and hurt yourself while you are healing.

Keep reading the previous posts - they are full of tips and ideas you can use for your particular situation. Try searching by key words for things you are interested in - that's what I did.

Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted on how you're doing.
  • kimber10
    kimber10 Member Posts: 47
    Cathy,
    I is truly

Cathy,
    I is truly overwhelming and surreal how fast everything moves once your diagnosed,of course recovery is different for every one but I was out and about by early into week 2 still sore and got tierd really quick but still out of the house.
    Good luck and your in my thoughts and prayers
    Kim
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    kimber10 said:

Cathy,
    I is truly

Cathy,
    I is truly overwhelming and surreal how fast everything moves once your diagnosed,of course recovery is different for every one but I was out and about by early into week 2 still sore and got tierd really quick but still out of the house.
    Good luck and your in my thoughts and prayers
    Kim

Wishing you good luck Cathy
    Wishing you good luck Cathy and glad that some of the women that have had a mastectomy responded. I hope it helps to answer some of your questions. I had a lumpectomy with rads. Sending you prayers! Good luck with your surgery!

Hugs, Leeza