Does head soreness go away after hair comes out?? (hopefully??)

blazytracy
blazytracy Member Posts: 157
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have finished my 2nd chemo yesterday and for the last 3 days - MON, TUES, and TODAY my hair has really thinned out, handfuls in the shower each morning...head REALLY sore today..does this soreness go away after hair falls completely out?

And thoughts would be helpful.
Thanks, Tracy

Comments

• NYGMom
    NYGMom Member Posts: 34
    Yes, it does. Hang in
    Yes, it does. Hang in there:)
  • shortscake
    shortscake Member Posts: 228
    2nd chemo
    I just had my 2nd chemo i had my hair cut short it has not come out yet but my scalp is very sore right now.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    You really only needed the
    You really only needed the one response that you already got, but YES! This is the :( Big Sign to go ahead and shave your head...I know your scalp feels as if you have had a toooo tight ponytail in for hours and hours, doesn't it? Chemo effects are of course internal, not external, so no amount of TLC will save your hair. Trust me, I tried them all! LOL So, sweetie, bite the bullet, shave your head, cry if you must ( I know I did) and the only good news is: Your scalp won't hurt anymore!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    And Yes.......
    It does go away.....Mine was REALLY sore......and when I shaved it,do it carefully, don't cut yourself........ my scalp became very oily and had an unpleasant odor for about a week......The flip side............It will come back!!!! I finished chemo the end of August..my hair is now about 1/2"......coming in silver and dark brown.....
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    MAJW said:

And Yes.......
    It does go away.....Mine was REALLY sore......and when I shaved it,do it carefully, don't cut yourself........ my scalp became very oily and had an unpleasant odor for about a week......The flip side............It will come back!!!! I finished chemo the end of August..my hair is now about 1/2"......coming in silver and dark brown.....

Yes it does go away. Mine
    Yes it does go away. Mine took several weeks and I shaved my head.
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Tracy
    I agree its time to shave it.It will help it feel better.Good Luck.(pat)
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    ppurdin said:

Tracy
    I agree its time to shave it.It will help it feel better.Good Luck.(pat)

Yes it does go away. My head
    Yes it does go away. My head was so sore prior to my hair falling out, but just as soon as I buzzed it the soreness went away.
    Deb
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    I only buzzed it real short,
    I only buzzed it real short, never shaved my head... still haven't and I still have a little peach fuzz. It did stop hurting when I buzzed it short and has been fine ever since. Guess it's just during that 'fall out' period.
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Marlene_K said:

I only buzzed it real short, never shaved my head... still haven't and I still have a little peach fuzz. It did stop hurting when I buzzed it short and has been fine ever since. Guess it's just during that 'fall out' period.

a good side to shaving it all off?
    I love the way you Chemo Girls give support and advice to each other. (I'm a Rads Girl only). I've never heard of the soreness before! It is so surprising to hear that a person might actually WANT to shave her head, thereby making the soreness go away! Who would have thought it would turn out to be a relief?!? I honor you all for your strength!
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    crselby said:

a good side to shaving it all off?
    I love the way you Chemo Girls give support and advice to each other. (I'm a Rads Girl only). I've never heard of the soreness before! It is so surprising to hear that a person might actually WANT to shave her head, thereby making the soreness go away! Who would have thought it would turn out to be a relief?!? I honor you all for your strength!

YES YES YES, I promise
    it will go away in a few days. I never shaved mine and I'm glad I didn't because it forms a lil"cushion" between my head and the wig!
  • chenheart
    Marlene_K said:

Me too Marlene...I buzzed
    Me too Marlene...I buzzed it! But to me that WAS shaving my head! LOL I didn't mean to imply a razor, tho I know some have! When I became BuzzChenYear, my head was shaved...maybe I should have said shorn! LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I'm a little late with my
    I'm a little late with my reply, but yes, buzz it. I, too, didn't actually shave my head but buzzed it instead. Beings that I am so late, did you shave or buzz your head, Tracy? If so, doesn't it feel better? Let us know. Good luck!!
  • blazytracy
    Thanks everyone!
    I just returned about 45 mins. ago from "buzzing" it...haha..still have my natural color but that is about it!!..it feels better already, clean and free. I now know how easy men have it!!! hahaha...It doesn't look near as bad as I was expecting. (my ears really aren't that big!) I just laugh. It is alot cooler, and for me, nowadays, that is a good thing!! I bought a new wig two days ago and totally love it and so does everyone else.

Thanks again everyone for your advice..my head doesn't hurt as much now either.. YAY!

Tracy
  • chenheart

Thanks everyone!
    I just returned about 45 mins. ago from "buzzing" it...haha..still have my natural color but that is about it!!..it feels better already, clean and free. I now know how easy men have it!!! hahaha...It doesn't look near as bad as I was expecting. (my ears really aren't that big!) I just laugh. It is alot cooler, and for me, nowadays, that is a good thing!! I bought a new wig two days ago and totally love it and so does everyone else.

Thanks again everyone for your advice..my head doesn't hurt as much now either.. YAY!

Tracy

Well, bless your heart! What
    Well, bless your heart! What a milestone and you are still laughing~ you are an inspiration to all those who will follow your take-charge footsteps! Way to go, Warrior-Sister!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • blazytracy
    chenheart said:

Well, bless your heart! What
    Well, bless your heart! What a milestone and you are still laughing~ you are an inspiration to all those who will follow your take-charge footsteps! Way to go, Warrior-Sister!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Thanks Cheri!
    It really wasn't that big of a deal for me I guess..I need that "THAT WAS EASY" red button to press!!! HAHAHAHA! It feels good and carefree! Just plop the old wig on and I am set!
    Thanks again everyone!
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508

Thanks Cheri!
    It really wasn't that big of a deal for me I guess..I need that "THAT WAS EASY" red button to press!!! HAHAHAHA! It feels good and carefree! Just plop the old wig on and I am set!
    Thanks again everyone!

YAY!!
    That's terrific, Tracy! I'm so happy for you! Having a wig that you and everyone else likes makes a HUGE difference. I'm getting more compliments now than I ever was and at this stage of the game, I can use it! YAY, that you are no longer in pain and double YAY that you are laughing and ok with it!

Love ~ Mar
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    yes... it does .. hang in
    yes... it does .. hang in there...

also expect some tenderness when it comes back in...