First round of chemo done!

sherria49
sherria49 Member Posts: 126
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I know I know, I'm late as usual!! Had my 1st round of chemo today (Taxotere & Cytoxan) 3 more rounds to go!! I get to the infusion place, and they proceed to tell me that I'm not on the schedule!! WTH??? They did make room for me!! I had my port placed at surgery 5 weeks ago, and of course it was kinda clogged. The nurse put in a substance to clear it, she called it like "DRAINO". I had to laugh, and it did work! Then I got a cocktail of Benadryl, Zantac, & Kytril. The Benadryl made me feel a little tipsy!! What a relief! lol. All in all, the chemo treatment went well. No immediate side effects, but came home with 3 more prescriptions! One for fever, if necessary, one for nausea if necessary, and the Emla cream for the port. Geez, don't I get a break with all the drugs????

The nurse explained that the 'Real' side effects won't show up for a few days. Already have that 'metalic' taste in my mouth! Yuck!! Because of all the great advice on this site from all you beautiful ladies, I purchased Biotene mouthwash & toothpaste!

2nd round is scheduled for Dec 21st....OMG and the side effects will probably be my Xmas present from this awful beast!!

I do feel pretty good so far this evening, and I am thankful for that!

Just wanted to give everyone an update!!

I truly thank each and everyone on this site for their best wishes, hugz, thoughts and prayers! You Sisters in Pink are the BEST!!!

To all the newbies here, this is absolutely doeable!!! We CAN & WILL best this beast. And one day, this site WILL be closed due the CURE!!!!

Love & Hugzzzzz Sherri

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    One Down!
    Hi Sherri, I am glad it went well and that they could make room for you today. You mention the metal taste, it is helpful if you use sturdy plastic utensils rather than metal ones when eating it will help abit.

You are right when you say it is doable, just 3 more to go!

Hugs,

RE
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Sherri, glad to hear it went
    Sherri, glad to hear it went well. I also had 4 of the same treatments and all of mine went well too. I did notice more fatigue after the last one, I guess it's the cumulative effect. I'm half way through radiation today and looking at the finish line. Best of luck to you and keep us updated on your progress. Take care.
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    SHERRI
    So glad your treatment went well. Drink lots of water and rest. Hugs, Diane
  • always
    always Member Posts: 256
    chickad52 said:

SHERRI
    So glad your treatment went well. Drink lots of water and rest. Hugs, Diane

water and eat
    Yes lots of water, but eat a little often. It will help keep any nausea or stomach pain from setting in. And don't try to be stronger than any pain. Take the pain meds as soon as you think you may have pain. Stay ahead of it. And rest rest rest
  • sherria49
    sherria49 Member Posts: 126
    always said:

water and eat
    Yes lots of water, but eat a little often. It will help keep any nausea or stomach pain from setting in. And don't try to be stronger than any pain. Take the pain meds as soon as you think you may have pain. Stay ahead of it. And rest rest rest

Thanks!
    For all the well wishes!! I tried getting on here all day, and wasn't able to. I spend alot of time in the bathroom, due to all the water!! Whew!

A little tired today, but unable to sleep I assume from the steroids???

Thanks to all my sisters in pink.....would have been able to get this far without all of you!!!

Hugzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    sherria49 said:

Thanks!
    For all the well wishes!! I tried getting on here all day, and wasn't able to. I spend alot of time in the bathroom, due to all the water!! Whew!

A little tired today, but unable to sleep I assume from the steroids???

Thanks to all my sisters in pink.....would have been able to get this far without all of you!!!

Hugzzzzzzzzzzzzz

nest time...
    Try chewing on ice cubes during the time the chemo is being administered. I was told that helps the "metal mouth" and mouth sores that often occur and I had neither to any extent, so maybe it worked! The first was the worst, and drinking WATER was almost impossible.
    Tasted like KEROSENE!!! I sipped and got maybe a cup down in an hour. But each one was a little better. Applesauce, pieces of apples, bananas, small saltine crackers. ginger ale,
    tea, hard boiled eggs, and toast with apple butter of cinnamon got me through those 4 treatments. Good luck Sherria. I'm so glad that is behind me, and soon it will be for you, too.