bruising and gummy mouth

carkris
carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I seem to bruise easiy, and my mouth is so dry and sticky on taxol. I am drinking tons of fluid and am not dehydrated, do I need something from the Pharmacy or just to do mouth care more often?

Comments

• mcsessions
    mcsessions Member Posts: 48
    My Mom uses Biotene
    My Mom uses Biotene toothpaste and swears by it, she's had almost no discomfort at all.
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Saltwater with baking soda
    Someone on here once suggested rinsing out your mouth with saltwater and baking soda. I believe they did it 3 times a day but I have been doing it only at night every day. I haven't had a single sore or discomfort in my mouth. I do also use biotene toothpaste once a day; the other times I use regular toothpaste because my mouth doesn't feel 'clean' after brushing with biotene... it just doesn't seem to foam up that much.

I'm not sure if the person that posted the idea of saltwater & baking soda will read this, but I've been wanting to thank her. I also have not lost my taste buds and not sure if the two are related but I am ever so grateful! I will have my 3rd of 6 treatments this Thursday. I have also heard that this combination is great for warding off the flu if you gargle with it, so I alternate between swishing it around my mouth and gargling several times.

Hope this helps.

Hugs ~ Mar
  • carkris
    Marlene_K said:

Saltwater with baking soda
    Someone on here once suggested rinsing out your mouth with saltwater and baking soda. I believe they did it 3 times a day but I have been doing it only at night every day. I haven't had a single sore or discomfort in my mouth. I do also use biotene toothpaste once a day; the other times I use regular toothpaste because my mouth doesn't feel 'clean' after brushing with biotene... it just doesn't seem to foam up that much.

I'm not sure if the person that posted the idea of saltwater & baking soda will read this, but I've been wanting to thank her. I also have not lost my taste buds and not sure if the two are related but I am ever so grateful! I will have my 3rd of 6 treatments this Thursday. I have also heard that this combination is great for warding off the flu if you gargle with it, so I alternate between swishing it around my mouth and gargling several times.

Hope this helps.

Hugs ~ Mar

I didnt have this problem
    I didnt have this problem with AC but I used peridex, never had a mouth sore. had thrush though that isnt the current problem, just tacky, so I will try the biotene and the salt, baking soda, and water mix.
    Do you guys bruise more easily?
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    carkris said:

I didnt have this problem with AC but I used peridex, never had a mouth sore. had thrush though that isnt the current problem, just tacky, so I will try the biotene and the salt, baking soda, and water mix.

Biotene mouthwash
    I've never tried the Biotene toothpaste, but my oncologist recommended the Biotene mouthwash, and it was the best for "gummy mouth," which I too had after every chemo. You can get the mouthwash at any drugstore, I think, and it has a very pleasant mild mint taste.

Traci

(Biotene should totally hire me as their spokesmodel -- I just got home from radiation, where I was recommending it to another patient in the waiting room, then I come home and here I am at it again! And just look at my picture, to the left -- wouldn't I make an ADORABLE spokesmodel? :-)
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    carkris said:

Carkris, I had taxotere
    Carkris, I had taxotere instead of taxol, and did bruise more easily. By the way, Biotene worked wonderfully for me. I used it and a baking soda/salt/warm water gargle.
  • carkris
    Moopy23 said:

Carkris, I had taxotere
    Carkris, I had taxotere instead of taxol, and did bruise more easily. By the way, Biotene worked wonderfully for me. I used it and a baking soda/salt/warm water gargle.

thank you I will have my
    thank you I will have my husband pick it up tomorrow!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Moopy23 said:

Carkris, I had taxotere

Hey now, Moopy
    ...don't go trying to horn in on my spokesmodel aspirations!

:-) Traci
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    TraciInLA said:

Hey now, Moopy
    ...don't go trying to horn in on my spokesmodel aspirations!

:-) Traci

Ok yu guys, what's the ratio
    Ok yu guys, what's the ratio of salt and baking soda to 8 oz of water?
  • xskeetshooter
    xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169
    a/c
    i was on that ,its common what your going thru/ just drink lots of water. its good too to flush you out. i seem to bruise easy too. so dont worry.
  • Marlene_K
    natly15 said:

Ok yu guys, what's the ratio
    Ok yu guys, what's the ratio of salt and baking soda to 8 oz of water?

Natly
    I did only about 4 ounces, as I couldn't ever gargle a full 8 ounce glass. I was told 1/2 teaspoon of each. I do this every night and thank GOD, so far so good. BUT I am worried about this 'taste bud' thing and thought of posting something on it. I'm not wishing my taste buds away, but it seems that it has happened to most everyone. Could all of this mean that the chemo isn't working as effectively on me? Another question for my oncologist.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

My Mom uses Biotene
    My Mom uses Biotene toothpaste and swears by it, she's had almost no discomfort at all.

Biotene toothpaste is great
    Biotene toothpaste is great to use!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Marlene_K said:

Natly
    I did only about 4 ounces, as I couldn't ever gargle a full 8 ounce glass. I was told 1/2 teaspoon of each. I do this every night and thank GOD, so far so good. BUT I am worried about this 'taste bud' thing and thought of posting something on it. I'm not wishing my taste buds away, but it seems that it has happened to most everyone. Could all of this mean that the chemo isn't working as effectively on me? Another question for my oncologist.

Thanks Marlene. Now I hope I
    Thanks Marlene. Now I hope I can remember 1/2 each.

Re tastebuds. Many things no longer taste very good to me, but I still eat. My stomach is not what it used to be. I had a cast iron stomach before chemo, and now understand why some peole didnt like some of the things I thought were spectacular tasting. Live and Learn. We all get different effects so I wouldnt be concerned about your chemo working. If you are truly concerned then talk to your onc, but my guess is the chemo is doing what it is suppose to do to those bad cells.
  • carkris

a/c
    i was on that ,its common what your going thru/ just drink lots of water. its good too to flush you out. i seem to bruise easy too. so dont worry.

I tried the biotene
    I tried the biotene mouthwash and it seems to be helping thanks for the input, I found the recipe for gummy mouth 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tablespoons baking soda, 4 cups warm water. between the benefiber, fluids, force feeding, butt care, mouth care, I guess Ishouldnt miss my job i am a full time job!
  • Marlene_K
    carkris said:

I tried the biotene
    I tried the biotene mouthwash and it seems to be helping thanks for the input, I found the recipe for gummy mouth 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tablespoons baking soda, 4 cups warm water. between the benefiber, fluids, force feeding, butt care, mouth care, I guess Ishouldnt miss my job i am a full time job!

HAHA!!
    I am just blown away at the time it takes me to go to bed... soooo many things to do before my head hits that pillow anymore! But I suppose it's all worth it if we can surpass these side effects and get to that finish line!

So glad you found something to give you relief!!
  • carkris
    Marlene_K said:

HAHA!!
    I am just blown away at the time it takes me to go to bed... soooo many things to do before my head hits that pillow anymore! But I suppose it's all worth it if we can surpass these side effects and get to that finish line!

So glad you found something to give you relief!!

thank you guys for all the
    thank you guys for all the suggestions.