spot on lung

blossomtime
blossomtime Member Posts: 98
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
CXR showed pulmonary nodule. Followed by CT scan but it was also abnormal. Told me today need to have a PET scan. Never had one. Not sure what this will tell that the other tests didnot. No one has said this bad yet. But nodule in the lung doesnt sound very good. Could it really be nothing?

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    I wish it is going to be nothing
    Good luck with your tests.
    Hopefully it is going to be nothing. PET Scan should give more information.
    I wish I can help you with more information.
    Hugs
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    blossomtime...
    I can tell you of my recent experience, but of course, you know that everyone is different and the PET scan will give you the answers you need, regarding...is it a malignancy?

First of all, I was dx'd July 2008 with bc..stage IIIa..lymph nodes involved. Had mastectomy, chemo, rads & a year of Herceptin infusions, which I recently completed.

A "shadow" was found in my upper right lung on Oct. 2, by routine chest x-ray ordered during my annual physical. A CT was ordered next.
    After the CT, the radiologist would not commit to a dx, due to my bc history. Said either infection or malignancy, in his opinion.
    When my onc saw the films, he told me that it did not look like a "typical" cancer, but a PET would tell the story. He gave me encouragement, in that it's pretty unusual to develop more/new cancer while still in treatment, but added that it DOES happen.

So, I had a PET scan and whatever it is does not appear to contain cancer cells. Frankly, my onc and other docs are thinking that it is damage to my upper lung from the dose dense rads that I had. At any rate, I am celebrating the news.
    I will have another CT done in Feb., as they are monitoring whatever it is. My onc said that he expects it to remain the same or even shrink. If however, it has grown in size, more tests will be needed. In the end, I was told..."don't stress over it". So I am not.

A PET will measure your metabolic rate, as cancer cells grow more quickly and aggressively than normal cells. There will be a few things you will need to do to prepare for the test, but they are easy to do.
    If there are cancer cells present, they will "light up" like a Christmas tree, as my onc put it. And you should have a pretty good idea of what is going on when the results are in.

My best wishes for you...

CR
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    CR1954 said:

blossomtime...
    I can tell you of my recent experience, but of course, you know that everyone is different and the PET scan will give you the answers you need, regarding...is it a malignancy?

First of all, I was dx'd July 2008 with bc..stage IIIa..lymph nodes involved. Had mastectomy, chemo, rads & a year of Herceptin infusions, which I recently completed.

A "shadow" was found in my upper right lung on Oct. 2, by routine chest x-ray ordered during my annual physical. A CT was ordered next.
    After the CT, the radiologist would not commit to a dx, due to my bc history. Said either infection or malignancy, in his opinion.
    When my onc saw the films, he told me that it did not look like a "typical" cancer, but a PET would tell the story. He gave me encouragement, in that it's pretty unusual to develop more/new cancer while still in treatment, but added that it DOES happen.

So, I had a PET scan and whatever it is does not appear to contain cancer cells. Frankly, my onc and other docs are thinking that it is damage to my upper lung from the dose dense rads that I had. At any rate, I am celebrating the news.
    I will have another CT done in Feb., as they are monitoring whatever it is. My onc said that he expects it to remain the same or even shrink. If however, it has grown in size, more tests will be needed. In the end, I was told..."don't stress over it". So I am not.

A PET will measure your metabolic rate, as cancer cells grow more quickly and aggressively than normal cells. There will be a few things you will need to do to prepare for the test, but they are easy to do.
    If there are cancer cells present, they will "light up" like a Christmas tree, as my onc put it. And you should have a pretty good idea of what is going on when the results are in.

CR

CR1954 .. Thank you for the detailed information
    that so many of us will surely use, sometime in the very near future.

VickiSam
  • blossomtime
    blossomtime Member Posts: 98
    CR1954 said:

blossomtime...

CR

PET scan
    Thank you so much for the information. My breast cancer was 7 yrs ago. I had adriamycin, taxotere, 5FU followed by herceptin and radiation. I thought I would never deal with this again. My dr is also noncommital at this point saying maybe scar tissue, unfortunately the spot is on the other side from my breast cancer. Hopefully I wont light up "like a Christmas tree". Also the spot is very small and per radiologist could represent "very early" mets. So now I wait until Monday. Thanks for listening and responding with valuable info. This time next wk I should know what it is.
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967

PET scan
    Thank you so much for the information. My breast cancer was 7 yrs ago. I had adriamycin, taxotere, 5FU followed by herceptin and radiation. I thought I would never deal with this again. My dr is also noncommital at this point saying maybe scar tissue, unfortunately the spot is on the other side from my breast cancer. Hopefully I wont light up "like a Christmas tree". Also the spot is very small and per radiologist could represent "very early" mets. So now I wait until Monday. Thanks for listening and responding with valuable info. This time next wk I should know what it is.

I read your post last night
    But I unfortunately had nothing to contribute besides my prayers. I'm so glad Cynthia saw your post and was able to share with you: she really is amazing. Even if her farm is better than mine. If it really turns out to be mets (and I pray it does not), far better to detect and eradicate the beast early!

Joe
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Bloosom
    Cr 's informatuon was right on. I just had my 2nd pet scan a couple of week ago. Not much to prepare for , just can't eat the night before and drink 2 glasses of water before you go and wear no metal. My Prayers are with you and Hugs, Diane
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    chickad52 said:

Bloosom
    Cr 's informatuon was right on. I just had my 2nd pet scan a couple of week ago. Not much to prepare for , just can't eat the night before and drink 2 glasses of water before you go and wear no metal. My Prayers are with you and Hugs, Diane

When I had my CT they warned
    When I had my CT they warned me that these tests often pick up on nodules that are not cancerous but need furthur evaluation. The older you get the more likely. could be some infection or pneumonia, so yes there are other things it could be besides cancer. Wishing you a good scan and end to the worries
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Aortus said:

I read your post last night
    But I unfortunately had nothing to contribute besides my prayers. I'm so glad Cynthia saw your post and was able to share with you: she really is amazing. Even if her farm is better than mine. If it really turns out to be mets (and I pray it does not), far better to detect and eradicate the beast early!

Joe

Hahaha Joe!
    You flatterer, you!

And yes, you will be in my prayers too....wishing you all the best when test results are in.

CR