Hello...Call me GG

GeeGeeGo
GeeGeeGo Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello...Call me GG. Just learned via biopsy I have breast cancer. Don't know much more. Wearing out my computer trying to learn since I got the report. Glad there's a place that has many shoulders to lean on (and maybe cry). Have many questions...in time. Right now I am trying to find what to do, where to go, what's next. Also, am wondering if anyone here is in my area of TX. Live not far from Corpus Christi.

Normally I'm very talkative...but not right now. Thanks for this opportunity to say "Hi"

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Hi GG
    Sorry that you found us because of bc. Just breathe! You will get thru this. When do you meet with your oncologist and plastic surgeon? They will go over everything with you inre to what type of bc cancer you have and what your treatment plan will be. Welcome to the site, but, sorry that you are here.

Sue :)
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Welcome GG
    Welcome, GG -- we're here whenever you need us, whenever you have questions.

I just want to urge you to PLEASE be careful about where you go on the web for information. When I was first diagnosed, both my surgeon and oncologist forbade me to look at any site other than the ACS'. They explained that a lot of information is not only inaccurate and/or unreliable, but also often very out of date.

Of course you need lots of information right now, but please be careful not to frighten yourself needlessly and just add to your stress.

Traci
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Hi GG
    I remember what a

Hi GG
    I remember what a panic it is at first, not to have all the info you want...but it will all become clear and understandable when you meet with your surgeon or Oncolgist depending on your DX.Just take someone with you who can take notes and help you remember everything
    that is discussed. You will be ok. BC is pretty much curable these days for most of us.
    As you learn more about your DX , feel free to ask questions. We've all been there.
    Dee
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Hi GG
    I remember what a

Hi GG
    I remember what a panic it is at first, not to have all the info you want...but it will all become clear and understandable when you meet with your surgeon or Oncolgist depending on your DX.Just take someone with you who can take notes and help you remember everything
    that is discussed. You will be ok. BC is pretty much curable these days for most of us.
    As you learn more about your DX , feel free to ask questions. We've all been there.
    Dee
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    GG
    I have a dear cousin that we call GG, so I feel like I know you already!

I'm sorry for the reason that you have to be here, but also glad that you found this site. It has been a place so many of us find comfort, support, laughter, and friendship.

I agree with Traci that you should try to focus your research on reputable sites such as the ACS and Susan G. Komen. Then try to get a referral to an oncologist or surgeon ASAP to learn more about your particular diagnosis. A couple of books that have been highly recommended by many on this board are The Breast Book by Susan Love, and The Breast Cancer Survival Guide (I think that's the title) by Dr. John Link.

A couple of things that really surprised me when I first got my diagnosis were:

-There are SO MANY different kinds of breast cancer! Who knew?!?! This is one of the things you'll begin to ask your doctors questions about. Some of the questions may not be able to be answered until after any surgery you may need (lumpectomy or mastectomy). I never knew there were so many varieties, but the good news is that since there are, doctors have found better ways to treat each type in a more focused and effective way.

-The time from diagnosis to treatment takes a lot longer than you may think it will. When I first got my diagnosis on September 2nd, I thought I'd be able to get all of my treatments out of the way by the end of the year and start 2010 fresh. So far, I've had lots and lots of tests and a lumpectomy on 10/12, but am still waiting to plan the rest of my treatment. I have felt in limbo one way or another for what feels like a very long time. Your patience will be tested, but we will be here to support you as you go through the sometimes frustratingly slow process.

There are some amazing women, and men, on this board. Some who have inspiring survival stories, and others who make us laugh, give us comfort, or keep us informed.

Take some deep breaths and come back as often as you need to. We are here for you.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808

GG
    I have a dear cousin that we call GG, so I feel like I know you already!

I'm sorry for the reason that you have to be here, but also glad that you found this site. It has been a place so many of us find comfort, support, laughter, and friendship.

I agree with Traci that you should try to focus your research on reputable sites such as the ACS and Susan G. Komen. Then try to get a referral to an oncologist or surgeon ASAP to learn more about your particular diagnosis. A couple of books that have been highly recommended by many on this board are The Breast Book by Susan Love, and The Breast Cancer Survival Guide (I think that's the title) by Dr. John Link.

A couple of things that really surprised me when I first got my diagnosis were:

-There are SO MANY different kinds of breast cancer! Who knew?!?! This is one of the things you'll begin to ask your doctors questions about. Some of the questions may not be able to be answered until after any surgery you may need (lumpectomy or mastectomy). I never knew there were so many varieties, but the good news is that since there are, doctors have found better ways to treat each type in a more focused and effective way.

-The time from diagnosis to treatment takes a lot longer than you may think it will. When I first got my diagnosis on September 2nd, I thought I'd be able to get all of my treatments out of the way by the end of the year and start 2010 fresh. So far, I've had lots and lots of tests and a lumpectomy on 10/12, but am still waiting to plan the rest of my treatment. I have felt in limbo one way or another for what feels like a very long time. Your patience will be tested, but we will be here to support you as you go through the sometimes frustratingly slow process.

There are some amazing women, and men, on this board. Some who have inspiring survival stories, and others who make us laugh, give us comfort, or keep us informed.

Take some deep breaths and come back as often as you need to. We are here for you.

Take care,
    Cindy

GG, sorry that you have to
    GG, sorry that you have to be here but its the best site to come to for information, experience, support and to just be yourself. Sometimes you may find people don't understand what you're going thru but here on this site you'll find loving caring women (and men) who understand what it is to have bc. We'll be here for you as you start this roller coaster ride and we'll rejoice in your triumphs and cry when you cry. Hope you can find the best bc surgeon and oncologist in your area. Don't be afraid to get a second opinion if you need to. I have invasive intraductal carcinoma, Stage 2A and am on hormone treatment waiting for my tumors to shrink then I'll have surgery. You'll learn all the cancer terms quick enough but I urge you to not go on the internet for information as there is a lot of false info out there. Others have told you some good sites to go to for good info. And please keep coming here and let us know how you're doing. It will be overwhelming at first but you'll find out how strong and courageous you are. Keep posting. Thoughts and prayers are with you from Sunrae.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi GG
    Welcome to the site,but sorry you have to be here.
    I would say ditto to the post about being careful about what you read on line. Truly it will scare you and the information isnt always accurate. I get all of my information from my oncologist and prefer it that way.

You will get alot of support from the ladies on this site. Most of us have been there, or are still in the middle or starting the treatments so its always good to know that you are not alone in this fight. We are all here for each other so post often and we will all helpyou as best we can.

Hugs
    Linda T
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi GG
    Welcome to the site,but sorry you have to be here.
    I would say ditto to the post about being careful about what you read on line. Truly it will scare you and the information isnt always accurate. I get all of my information from my oncologist and prefer it that way.

You will get alot of support from the ladies on this site. Most of us have been there, or are still in the middle or starting the treatments so its always good to know that you are not alone in this fight. We are all here for each other so post often and we will all helpyou as best we can.

Hugs
    Linda T

Sorrowfully welcoming you to
    Sorrowfully welcoming you to the site. We will be here for you, to answer questions, hold your hand, wipe your tears, make you laugh, even if it is cyber style. We will help you through every step of the way. Prayers are beaming your way right now.
    Stef
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    hi
    I was where you are 1 week ago. It does get better and your mind does begin to function again. Be gentle with yourself, cry when you need to and talk when you need to. There's tons of support here---what a great bunch of ladies. They have helped me tremendously and I'm sure will help you too.
    Hugs, El
  • GeeGeeGo
    GeeGeeGo Member Posts: 2

hi
    I was where you are 1 week ago. It does get better and your mind does begin to function again. Be gentle with yourself, cry when you need to and talk when you need to. There's tons of support here---what a great bunch of ladies. They have helped me tremendously and I'm sure will help you too.
    Hugs, El

Thanks for the welcome...
    Thank you ladies (and gents) for the welcome. I will try to address questions, etc.

First, I am only reading websites considered reputable like this one. My primary doctor gave me some sites to go to. Thanks for the re-inforcement and other suggested sites.

Secondly, this month has been likely a foggy whirl-wind. It seems like just yesterday I got the verdict. And yes, I'm an emotional yo-yo, too.

Primary doctor ordered the mammos.....then additional mammos and ultra sound.. Couple days later, radiology called and said I was to see this surgeon, but didn't tell me anything else. I asked who, what, why...all that they said was that this doctor will explain everything.

What a horrible way to do someone! Why not send the results to my family doctor who ordered the mammos?...I was so confused but I went. He told me I needed 2 biops (ultra sound guided core biops) and sent me back to the radiology clinic for that proceedure. When I left his office, a waist of time as my primary doctor could had told me what this person did and set up the biops.

Day after the biopsy, they called. Again they made another appointment with this surgeon. Hubby went with me this time and we got the news. Then was told I would have a lumpectomy (done by a radiology surgeon of his choosing...probably same one that did the biopsy) and wait for that pathology report before. Any questions I or hubby gave seem to be "skirted around" or we were told "that things dont go the way we thought they were to go".
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    GeeGeeGo said:

Thank you ladies (and gents) for the welcome. I will try to address questions, etc.

First, I am only reading websites considered reputable like this one. My primary doctor gave me some sites to go to. Thanks for the re-inforcement and other suggested sites.

Secondly, this month has been likely a foggy whirl-wind. It seems like just yesterday I got the verdict. And yes, I'm an emotional yo-yo, too.

Primary doctor ordered the mammos.....then additional mammos and ultra sound.. Couple days later, radiology called and said I was to see this surgeon, but didn't tell me anything else. I asked who, what, why...all that they said was that this doctor will explain everything.

What a horrible way to do someone! Why not send the results to my family doctor who ordered the mammos?...I was so confused but I went. He told me I needed 2 biops (ultra sound guided core biops) and sent me back to the radiology clinic for that proceedure. When I left his office, a waist of time as my primary doctor could had told me what this person did and set up the biops.

Day after the biopsy, they called. Again they made another appointment with this surgeon. Hubby went with me this time and we got the news. Then was told I would have a lumpectomy (done by a radiology surgeon of his choosing...probably same one that did the biopsy) and wait for that pathology report before. Any questions I or hubby gave seem to be "skirted around" or we were told "that things dont go the way we thought they were to go".

I just found my notes...
    Hi GG,

We have all been where you are and definately feel your fear and confusion. I came across a pad yesterday that had my notes from when my primary care doc called to tell me the results of my mammo/ultrasound. The note simply said needle biopsy, surgeon, bring films. She called me later with the date and time of the appt. which was 10 days later. Seemed like a lifetime. I went to that surgeon because she specialized in breast surgery.

If you don't like the way a doctor treats you, I recommend you get another opinion. Our state of mind is very important at this time. Information is very powerful and lack of it can cause extra stress. Don't forget that you are a client and ultimately the decisions are yours to make. They need to give you all the information they can at each step of the journey. I never heard of the surgery being done by a radiology surgeon. I had a regular surgeon and then was referred to a radiologist oncologist for the radiotheropy.

This is the time to stand up for yourself. It can be difficult because most of us were raised to see doctors as gods but they aren't.

Two of my favorite books which helped my husband and me during this process are: "Just Help Me Get Through This" and "The Breast Cancer Husband". Both can be found on Amazon.com.

Please keep us posted. Hugs to you and your hubby.

Roseann
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Welcome to the Club, GG!
    You've just joined the club nobody wants to join, but welcome. You're doing what I did--research research research! I'm about to leave to get my balloon catheter inserted so I can do my accelerated radiation treatments next week, so I can't talk--just to say Hi.

More later,

Sandy
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Hi GG love your name. I'm
    Hi GG love your name. I'm also very talkative. You came to the right place for information and lots of support. do you have an MD Anderson cancer center nearby? I got 2 separate opinions after my first surgery and diagnosis, and changed all my doctors for continued treatment. This is your body. You have a right to know everything you need to know. Ask tons of questions you talkative girl and if you dont like how they respond, remember you have the right to change your doctor/doctors.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    GeeGeeGo said:

Welcome, GG. I, too, had a
    Welcome, GG. I, too, had a cousin my this name. I just wanted to take a minute to welcome you and let you know we're here for you every step of the way. The one comment that bothered me was your doctor told you the lumpectomy would be done by a radiology surgeon of HIS chosing.......I don't think so!!! You should have the choice to chose your surgeon. You want to know that the person doing the surgery is experienced and someone you feel good about. That's all I wanted to add. Please continue to post and let us know how it goes. Take care.
  • Lynda53
    Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
    Hi GG sorry for your diagnosis
    You ahve entered a great site. As said be careful reading the internet horrors. I scared myself to tears, not that I don't still cry.
    My breast surgeon is from MD Armstrong at U of Texas.No clue in relationship to your location, she also mentioned texas cancer clinic
    mdarmstrong DOT org
    texascancerclinic DOT com

Healing thoughts to you.
    Peace
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Lynda53 said:

Hi GG sorry for your diagnosis
    You ahve entered a great site. As said be careful reading the internet horrors. I scared myself to tears, not that I don't still cry.
    My breast surgeon is from MD Armstrong at U of Texas.No clue in relationship to your location, she also mentioned texas cancer clinic
    mdarmstrong DOT org
    texascancerclinic DOT com

Healing thoughts to you.
    Peace

Whoa
    Hi GG. That's my sister-in-laws name, to her grandkids. Pretty cute.

After reading your post I want to say, "Whoa, put on the brakes!" The sequence of your visits, biopsies, surgery, doctor appts, etc. seems out of whack to me. Especially the part where you don't get to choose your surgeon. no no no That doesn't sound right.

Grab one of those books recommended above and read the chapters pertaining to where you are at in your treatment decisions now.

Please let us know what's up as things progress for you.
  • Angel_4_James
    Angel_4_James Member Posts: 73
    Hi GG
    Welcome, I have not been here very long myself. But everyone on here is so great to listen and give encouragement and advice. You have found a place that will be here for you and walk with you through this new adventure you must now travel.

God Bless,
    Angel
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411

Hi GG
    Welcome, I have not been here very long myself. But everyone on here is so great to listen and give encouragement and advice. You have found a place that will be here for you and walk with you through this new adventure you must now travel.

God Bless,
    Angel

I agree
    You have the right to chose your own surgeon. And I too recomend calling MD anderson. They will give you the right information. It won't hurt to call and see what they have to say. This is the time to be good to yourself. It is so overwhelming at first and finding the right care is so imortant. Let us know what's going on. I live in Oklahoma but there are a couple Sisters living in Texas.