OLDEST

lizziejane
lizziejane Member Posts: 69
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
JUST WONDERING WHO MIGHT BE THE OLDEST LADY HERE WHO HAS HAD RECONSTRUCTION----I WILL BE 68 IN A MONTH AND SOMETIMES WONDER IF IT IS WORTH ANOTHER SURGERY NEXT YEAR AND THIS UNCOMFORTABLE TISSUE EXPANDER???? MAYBE AT MY AGE, I SHOULD HAVE JUST STAYED FLAT....MY PLACTIC SURGEON SAID THE OLDEST LADY HE EVER DID RECONSTRUCTION ON WAS 87---ISN'T THAT UNBELIEVEABLE.....MY DAUGHTER SAYS I WILL FEEL BETTER ABOUT MYSELF ONCE IT IS ALL DONE, BUT I THINK MAYBE A GOOD PROTHESIS MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE WAY TO GO...
LIZZIEJANE

Comments

• DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    What do you want?
    I would suggest doing what YOU think is best for YOU. If you want reconstruction, then please get it. If you don't, then don't. I wouldn't want any doctor telling me I'm too old for anything. It isn't their life or their body. Good luck with your decision.

Debby
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Your choice - age not a factor
    LizzieJane,

I'll tell you this: I'm not the oldest lady to get reconstruction, BUT I am 41 and decided to NOT have reconstruction. Of the people I told (about my bilateral) quite a few of them just assumed I would have reconstruction because I am considered "younger" in bc age category. The one thing that made me decide to not have reconstruction is the fact that I didn't want it. My husband was supportive of whatever decision I made and I wasn't swayed one way or the other by the opinions of anyone else. I knew that whatever I decided (whether reconstruction or no reconstruction) I was going to be the one that would have to live with it. I have no regrets.

This is one of the hard things about bc - some of the decisions need to be made by you alone. Only YOU know what you want as far as treatment and you are in control of the decisions when it comes to your body. I have read of people who have chosen to not have radiation or chemo or take medication even after they had bc surgery. At that point in their life (for whatever reason) they decided to stop treatment.

The one thing I will add is:

1. You can probably have implants now and have them removed later if you don't like them.
    2. You can wait and possibly have the implants put in at a later date.

Good luck with your decision and with your future treatments and procedures! Keep us updated. This is a wonderful site with many supportive people who will try their best to answer any questions and concerns you may have.
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Wolfi said:

Your choice - age not a factor
    LizzieJane,

I'll tell you this: I'm not the oldest lady to get reconstruction, BUT I am 41 and decided to NOT have reconstruction. Of the people I told (about my bilateral) quite a few of them just assumed I would have reconstruction because I am considered "younger" in bc age category. The one thing that made me decide to not have reconstruction is the fact that I didn't want it. My husband was supportive of whatever decision I made and I wasn't swayed one way or the other by the opinions of anyone else. I knew that whatever I decided (whether reconstruction or no reconstruction) I was going to be the one that would have to live with it. I have no regrets.

This is one of the hard things about bc - some of the decisions need to be made by you alone. Only YOU know what you want as far as treatment and you are in control of the decisions when it comes to your body. I have read of people who have chosen to not have radiation or chemo or take medication even after they had bc surgery. At that point in their life (for whatever reason) they decided to stop treatment.

The one thing I will add is:

1. You can probably have implants now and have them removed later if you don't like them.
    2. You can wait and possibly have the implants put in at a later date.

Good luck with your decision and with your future treatments and procedures! Keep us updated. This is a wonderful site with many supportive people who will try their best to answer any questions and concerns you may have.

Lizziejane, I'm a little
    Lizziejane, I'm a little older than you and have been wondering if I should have reconstruction. At first I was thinking no, because of all the hassle. But now I'm wondering how I'll react when my breast is gone. My husband doesn't think it will make any difference to him and I really think it won't. I guess I'll have to make my choice soon. Best wishes with your decision and let us know how it goes.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I'm 63 and I intend to have
    I'm 63 and I intend to have reconstruction done as soon as my Drs say I can. I'm a very active 'outdoors gal' (do all sorts of 'stuff' including but not limited to a lot of horseback riding/training) so to me it makes sense. We are all unique and what is 'right' for one is not 'right' for another. At least that's how I feel now. You and only you can know what's b est for you. Prayers.

Susan
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Rague said:

I'm 63 and I intend to have
    I'm 63 and I intend to have reconstruction done as soon as my Drs say I can. I'm a very active 'outdoors gal' (do all sorts of 'stuff' including but not limited to a lot of horseback riding/training) so to me it makes sense. We are all unique and what is 'right' for one is not 'right' for another. At least that's how I feel now. You and only you can know what's b est for you. Prayers.

Susan

Reconstruction is definitely a personal decision and choice. I think that no matter what age I would be, I personally, would want reconstruction. But, that is just me. I am sure you will make the right choice.

Sue :)
  • lizziejane
    Ritzy said:

Reconstruction is definitely a personal decision and choice. I think that no matter what age I would be, I personally, would want reconstruction. But, that is just me. I am sure you will make the right choice.

OLDEST
    THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT----I WILL PROBABLY GO ON AND HAVE THE RECONSTRUCTION, SINCE I HAVE ALREADY STARTED IT BY HAVING THE TISSUE EXPANDER PUT IN, IT IS GETTING A LITTLE MORE COMFORTABLE, AND PEOPLE I HAVE TALKED TO, SAY THAT THE INPLANTS ARE A SOFTER MATERIAL AND FEEL A LOT BETTER, BUT, I WOULD LIKE TO USE MY OWN TISSUE, NEED TO DISCUSS THIS WITH MY PLASTIC SURGEON TO SEE IF THIS CAN BE DONE, WILL PROBABLY BE A LONGER RECOVERY THAN INPLANTS, BUT I THINK I WOULD FEEL BETTER ABOUT USING MY OWN TISSUE----PLUS----GETTING RID OF SOME OF MY BELLY FAT....ANYWAY, I WON'T BE FINISHED WITH TREATMENT UNTIL LATE NEXT YEAR, SO WILL PROBABLY NOT HAVE RECONSTRUCTION UNTIL I'M DONE WITH EVERYTHING ELSE, SO, HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TO GET IT ALL TOGETHER......
    TAKE CARE,
    LIZZIEJANE
  • lizziejane
    Ritzy said:

OLDEST
    THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT----I WILL PROBABLY GO ON AND HAVE THE RECONSTRUCTION, SINCE I HAVE ALREADY STARTED IT BY HAVING THE TISSUE EXPANDER PUT IN, IT IS GETTING A LITTLE MORE COMFORTABLE, AND PEOPLE I HAVE TALKED TO, SAY THAT THE INPLANTS ARE A SOFTER MATERIAL AND FEEL A LOT BETTER, BUT, I WOULD LIKE TO USE MY OWN TISSUE, NEED TO DISCUSS THIS WITH MY PLASTIC SURGEON TO SEE IF THIS CAN BE DONE, WILL PROBABLY BE A LONGER RECOVERY THAN INPLANTS, BUT I THINK I WOULD FEEL BETTER ABOUT USING MY OWN TISSUE----PLUS----GETTING RID OF SOME OF MY BELLY FAT....ANYWAY, I WON'T BE FINISHED WITH TREATMENT UNTIL LATE NEXT YEAR, SO WILL PROBABLY NOT HAVE RECONSTRUCTION UNTIL I'M DONE WITH EVERYTHING ELSE, SO, HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TO GET IT ALL TOGETHER......
    TAKE CARE,
    LIZZIEJANE