Last Chemo

pgrace35
pgrace35 Member Posts: 122
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Wednesday will be my last chemo treatment. Was gearing up for my 6 weeks of radiation, everyday for the next 6 weeks. Wasn't expecting the news from my radiation oncologist on our first visit. She is questioning my lumpectomy surgery, not enough margins removed, and my MRI. Found something that the other hospital might have missed. Need to re-take the MRI, and possibly re-do my surgery, before my radiation. I've been so positive about all of this, but now feel like I have been set back 10 paces and I can't shake it off, just wasn't expecting this. I know I will be fine, but emotionally I'm struggling now.

Comments

• LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Oh, my . . .
    Oh, just when you were beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel! I'm so sorry. It just doesn't seem fair, does it?

There is a silver lining to your big cloud--your radiation oncologist is a smart woman who is on YOUR side--she's trying to help you increase your probability of having a cancer-free future. If your surgeon didn't remove all of the cancerous tissue, it's better to get it now rather than let it be a time-bomb ticking away in your body. I'm so glad that your radiation oncologist caught this as early as she did! Congrats on choosing such a great radiation oncologist.

Hang in there. This is a tough journey, but with such great support, you WILL reach the end of this detour and begin to enjoy life again.

Sandy
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    set back
    The frustration of it all just makes you want to scream or cry or both. We want answers and decisions and action. When we are moving forward and are focused on just being DONE WITH IT ALL, this kind of news is an incredible downer.

LadyParvati has it right, though. Your docs don't want to let you go on without doing their best for you. Why all this wasn't caught earlier, why the MRI wasn't done before surgery or chemo, is puzzling to me, but I don't know your whole story and don't want to cast aspersions on anyone. Getting a second opinion from another rad onc might put your mind at ease. Is that something you can do?

Just know that I see you at the end of this journey, standing in warm sunlight, smiling and feeling well and whole again, knowing you had the best treatment possible, and that you are a stronger woman because of it. You can do this. You will get beyond this!
    Connie
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I can imagine how set-back
    I can imagine how set-back you feel...thanks for sharing your thoughts here in this nurturing, safe place! (Your picture is gorgeous, btw! What a pretty woman you are!) It may be difficult to find the proverbial silver lining, but your Kindred Spirits in here are correct~ it proves how caring, thorough and determined your radiology oncologist is to make sure that you are one of the 50 year+ survivors of Breast Cancer!

I HIGHLY recommend you go to YouTube, find The Cancer Crusade , and then The Survivor Movie. It is about 3 minutes long, is incredibly empowering,and without being preachy, may just be the "medicine" you need at this point. It is worth looking for...

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • pgrace35

Oh, my . . .
    Oh, just when you were beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel! I'm so sorry. It just doesn't seem fair, does it?

There is a silver lining to your big cloud--your radiation oncologist is a smart woman who is on YOUR side--she's trying to help you increase your probability of having a cancer-free future. If your surgeon didn't remove all of the cancerous tissue, it's better to get it now rather than let it be a time-bomb ticking away in your body. I'm so glad that your radiation oncologist caught this as early as she did! Congrats on choosing such a great radiation oncologist.

Hang in there. This is a tough journey, but with such great support, you WILL reach the end of this detour and begin to enjoy life again.

Sandy

Thank-you
    I know it's best to find out now and not later. Thanks for you support, I need to hear this from someone that has been through it too!
  • pgrace35
    chenheart said:

I can imagine how set-back
    I can imagine how set-back you feel...thanks for sharing your thoughts here in this nurturing, safe place! (Your picture is gorgeous, btw! What a pretty woman you are!) It may be difficult to find the proverbial silver lining, but your Kindred Spirits in here are correct~ it proves how caring, thorough and determined your radiology oncologist is to make sure that you are one of the 50 year+ survivors of Breast Cancer!

I HIGHLY recommend you go to YouTube, find The Cancer Crusade , and then The Survivor Movie. It is about 3 minutes long, is incredibly empowering,and without being preachy, may just be the "medicine" you need at this point. It is worth looking for...

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Survivor Movie
    Thanks Chen...I needed that!
  • pgrace35
    crselby said:

set back
    The frustration of it all just makes you want to scream or cry or both. We want answers and decisions and action. When we are moving forward and are focused on just being DONE WITH IT ALL, this kind of news is an incredible downer.

LadyParvati has it right, though. Your docs don't want to let you go on without doing their best for you. Why all this wasn't caught earlier, why the MRI wasn't done before surgery or chemo, is puzzling to me, but I don't know your whole story and don't want to cast aspersions on anyone. Getting a second opinion from another rad onc might put your mind at ease. Is that something you can do?

Just know that I see you at the end of this journey, standing in warm sunlight, smiling and feeling well and whole again, knowing you had the best treatment possible, and that you are a stronger woman because of it. You can do this. You will get beyond this!
    Connie

Thanks
    Not sure myself on certains things done earlier, but I will follow through with another MRI, and keep my fingers crossed I won't need more surgery. My heart tells me I won't, I just need to believe that for myself.
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    pgrace35 said:

Survivor Movie
    Thanks Chen...I needed that!

So sorry to hear about your
    So sorry to hear about your setback but like everyone else, glad that this dr. caught and is questioning your situation. Keep us posted as to the outcome and be assured that you'll be in our thoughts and prayers. Love your pic and your smile.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Sunrae said:

So sorry to hear about your setback but like everyone else, glad that this dr. caught and is questioning your situation. Keep us posted as to the outcome and be assured that you'll be in our thoughts and prayers. Love your pic and your smile.

Pgrace
    So sorry for the set

Pgrace
    So sorry for the set back but the others are so right. It is good that they are checking this all out now. Hoping you won't need more surgery and can get on with the radiation.
    Big hugs beaming your way.
    Stef
  • pgrace35
    Sunrae said:

Wonderful Support
    Thanks to everyone here, the support is wonderful. I must admit,though I have a wonderful network of friends and family support, none of them have gone through treatment and it's a great thing to be able to get feed back from people whom have gone through this and have the amazing support system...thank you, it means so much!
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Wow pgrace
    I am sooooooooooo sorry that you have to go thru all of this...just when you think you are making progress they throw something else at you. Its not fair, but if your radiation oncologist has ANY thoughts whatsoever that something was missed, feel blessed that he said something and wants to check it out. What you want is thorough and it sounds like this guy is being just that. So what may be thought as a set back may actually be a good thing for you after all.

Try to find peace in that and remember that this disease is a journey with alot of ups and downs along the way. You will get there and remember we are all here for you.

Hang in there
    Linda T
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I ditto the responses of
    I ditto the responses of everyone on here. The only thing I might add is it would be better to find out this information now versus down the road when think you are finished with all your treatments. It may be a setback but at least you'll fee better knowing you do now have clear margins. Keep your chin up and keep fighting. I agree, too, you look beautiful. Take care.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

I ditto the responses of
    I ditto the responses of everyone on here. The only thing I might add is it would be better to find out this information now versus down the road when think you are finished with all your treatments. It may be a setback but at least you'll fee better knowing you do now have clear margins. Keep your chin up and keep fighting. I agree, too, you look beautiful. Take care.

I agree with abouve
    I agree with abouve setiments it may be dissapointing but you need to fix it now. get rid of it . and Yay congrats for finishing chemo -a huge accomplishment!!!!!!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    So Sorry
    But as everyone has said.....your rads oncologist wants only the best for you.....as far as the Breast MRI...mine wasn't done until after my lumpectomy, either.....difference in doctors and treatment plans......did your pathology report from your lumpectomy state clean, clear margins? Usually the final path report is the marker for future treatments.......do you have a copy of it?

I feel so bad for you......Just when chemo was over for you....I know I couldn't wait until I was finished with that and onto radiation.....Chemo was the BIGGEST hurddle for me......

Seems like there is always something else to WAIT on.......I wasn't expecting to have chemo, just radiation after surgery....that was a HUGE shock to me but once they told me the odds of with and without it, I wanted EVERYTHING I could have, to battle the beast...

Again, I am so sorry you are having to go through this just when you thought there was light at the end of the tunnel....but I promise you, even with this major set back, there is light......keep your eye on the "finish line."

Peace be with you
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    MAJW said:

So Sorry
    But as everyone has said.....your rads oncologist wants only the best for you.....as far as the Breast MRI...mine wasn't done until after my lumpectomy, either.....difference in doctors and treatment plans......did your pathology report from your lumpectomy state clean, clear margins? Usually the final path report is the marker for future treatments.......do you have a copy of it?

I feel so bad for you......Just when chemo was over for you....I know I couldn't wait until I was finished with that and onto radiation.....Chemo was the BIGGEST hurddle for me......

Seems like there is always something else to WAIT on.......I wasn't expecting to have chemo, just radiation after surgery....that was a HUGE shock to me but once they told me the odds of with and without it, I wanted EVERYTHING I could have, to battle the beast...

Again, I am so sorry you are having to go through this just when you thought there was light at the end of the tunnel....but I promise you, even with this major set back, there is light......keep your eye on the "finish line."

Peace be with you

I am so sorry too. Didn't
    I am so sorry too. Didn't your surgeon take enough tissue to get clean margins? Your pathology report will tell you if they were clean. And, if they were, why would they need to take more? Sorry for the questions, but, I am confused by what you wrote or just not understanding it.

I had the breast MRI prior to surgery, just like the CT scan and the mammogram, to make sure there was no more cancer in either breast. If there had of been, that could have changed my whole surgery and treatment. But, there wasn't, so, I had the lumpectomy.

Good luck to you!

Sue :)