day 5 , diarhea

newbiefromcananda
newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have felt pretty good till today, my bones were sore from the neulesta shot (about 2 1/2 days) but today ..... cramps in my tummy and diarhea.... I have had 1 round of chemo (doxcitacel and herceptin) any suggesstions...... Thanks everyone

Lisa

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    BRAT diet, benefiber if it
    BRAT diet, benefiber if it persists, immodium if it persists, hydration hydration hydration. small freq meals, lukewarm fluids one of my books says to eat low fat plain yogurt for the probiotics, but I was too nervous to do ant dairy although the book says to hold on dairy but most people can tolerate yogurt, foods high in soluable fiber . Most info i got from here, dieticians, and a book called The Chemotherapy survival guide. I am thinking of adding glutamine too as it helps rebuid your gut and helps with peripheral neuropathy. always check with your doc. benefiber you can take with constipation or diahrea. hopefully its transient. soft toilet paper and pat. some people use like a baby ointment to protect their bottom, I had other issues so had to use more heavy duty stuff. hope this helps.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Call your doctor tomorrow morning if it persists
    Hi, Lisa -

I tried to get through my 1st round with just Immodium, but it didn't help the cramping part of it, and my doctor was mad at me for not calling him. He prescribed Lomotil, which he said was better for the cramping, and boy was he right -- I've never used any medication for anything that worked that fast and that well. I literally carried the Lomotil around with me in my purse for the rest of the time I was on chemo -- it was like a little miracle pill, and I wished I'd had it sooner.

Make sure you're drinking lots of fluids -- if diet changes and Immodium haven't helped by tomorrow morning, then call your doctor.

Traci
  • MGNS
    MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member
    Ginger tea is a great
    Ginger tea is a great soother for the tummy. I buy a small piece of ginger root (in the vegetable section of the store) and just cut off a small slice and add it to a cup of boiled water. Let it steep for a minute or so and drink it slowly. I leave the piece of ginger in it. It really is soothing to the tummy and is a natural way to help with the "trots". Of course, you might want to ask you doctor. Good luck and hang in there. I get my first chemo tomorrow and am not looking forward to this part of it. Hugs and prayers!
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Oh, the cramps and diarrhea
    Oh, the cramps and diarrhea are no fun! Immodium worked for me, but it is a good idea to call your cancer center and describe what is going on. I pretty much stuck to the BRAT diet already mentioned, when I wasn't feeling well. Ginger tea is really good. Doesn't even have to be fresh ginger, either - if it isn't available. The powdered ginger that comes in spice jars works, too.

xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Lisa
    Brat diet...bananas rice applesauce and toast...lots of liquids including gatorade if you can..it will replace the electrolytes lost in the stool...vitamin a and d ointment for the rectal area to help keep your bottom from getting sore...and call oncology to see if they will order you some lomotil for the stools.

hugs
    Linda T
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    day 5
    You need to call your onc and let them know what going on wih you. good luck and hugs
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    lynn1950 said:

Oh, the cramps and diarrhea
    Oh, the cramps and diarrhea are no fun! Immodium worked for me, but it is a good idea to call your cancer center and describe what is going on. I pretty much stuck to the BRAT diet already mentioned, when I wasn't feeling well. Ginger tea is really good. Doesn't even have to be fresh ginger, either - if it isn't available. The powdered ginger that comes in spice jars works, too.

xoxoxoxo Lynn

Hope it gets better for you.
    Hope it gets better for you. If not, call your oncologist.
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234
    ladybug22 said:

day 5
    You need to call your onc and let them know what going on wih you. good luck and hugs

thanks everyone, it got
    thanks everyone, it got better today, called the dr rx immodium but last night I couldn't hardly move, so sore +++cried all night ... dr said he didn't think it was the neulesta shot that it was actually the chemo, so he gave me a new rx for the 2nd chemo to take the day before so I am not so sore... I am so glad that the nurse told me I shouln't have to suffer .... hugs Lisa
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

thanks everyone, it got
    thanks everyone, it got better today, called the dr rx immodium but last night I couldn't hardly move, so sore +++cried all night ... dr said he didn't think it was the neulesta shot that it was actually the chemo, so he gave me a new rx for the 2nd chemo to take the day before so I am not so sore... I am so glad that the nurse told me I shouln't have to suffer .... hugs Lisa

The nurse is right
    Lisa, I'm so glad your doctor is on top of this -- your nurse is right, with the medications they have now, you shouldn't have to suffer.

The 1st round is almost always the hardest, because they first have to find out which side effects you're going to have, and then fine-tune the medications to help you....but now they and you have a better idea how your body is going to react, and can be prepared with the right drugs at the right time.

During chemo, I totally felt like a woman who thought she wanted natural childbirth, then felt the first labor pains and screamed, GIVE ME DRUUUUUUUUGS, NOW!!! I was shamelessly all about the pharmaceuticals during chemo.

Traci
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

thanks everyone, it got

So glad that you feel better
    So glad that you feel better Lisa. There is a pill for diarrhea too, but, I don't know if you can take it while on chemo. I can't think of the name of it, but, I know there is one that doctor's can prescribe. You might ask. Good luck!

Lex♥
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    Alexis F said:

So glad that you feel better
    So glad that you feel better Lisa. There is a pill for diarrhea too, but, I don't know if you can take it while on chemo. I can't think of the name of it, but, I know there is one that doctor's can prescribe. You might ask. Good luck!

Lex♥

Thinking of you
    Buy some Depends just in case. I lived in them for months. You have had great advice so far. Be careful though about taking Immodium or Lomotril too much...I switched from diarrhea to being constipated and that was no fun either!!! Diarrhea was one of the reasons that they eventually stopped my chemo a little early, which upset me ...but no choice.

Hope it improves.