I Need the Power of Prayer!

Cat64
Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am having surgery in the morning and needless to say I am terrified! I will be having a Lumpectomy & Sentinal biopsy. At least I hope that's all it will be-won't know until I wake up what exactly happened. I'm trying so hard to keep it together but the anxiety keeps taking over. I do have the utmost faith in my surgeon but I am so worried about the "what if's". Please pray for me Pink Angels!
Thank you!!
♥ Cathy

Comments

• LC815
    LC815 Member Posts: 155
    You have my prayers, Cathy.
    You have my prayers, Cathy. I'm sure you'll wake up fine. As my doctor says about surgery, your biggest risk is driving to the hospital!!
    Peace.
    Linda
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Take deep breaths!
    It is just ridiculous how our mind can take over our entire bodies! Deep breaths in and slow release helps me a lot! I had a radical mastectomy of my left breast and truly thought I might hyperventilate before my surgery. When I woke up, I couldn't believe it was all done and all I could think about was how hungry I was and couldn't wait to go home. I was EXTREMELY relieved that the cancer was finally OUT of me and that, in and of itself, made it all worth it! By this time tomorrow, you will be at such peace.

Hugs & prayers, Marlene
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Marlene_K said:

Take deep breaths!
    It is just ridiculous how our mind can take over our entire bodies! Deep breaths in and slow release helps me a lot! I had a radical mastectomy of my left breast and truly thought I might hyperventilate before my surgery. When I woke up, I couldn't believe it was all done and all I could think about was how hungry I was and couldn't wait to go home. I was EXTREMELY relieved that the cancer was finally OUT of me and that, in and of itself, made it all worth it! By this time tomorrow, you will be at such peace.

Hugs & prayers, Marlene

you have my prayers, Cathy.
    Please let us know how it went. It's a lot easier than you mind lets you believe. After it was over with the nurse said "Rate your pain from 1 to 10" I said "2.5" not bad at all.
    And it never went above that. Good luck. Hopefully you'll have good news to report when you get home.
    God bless,
    Lorraine
  • Sigma34
    Sigma34 Member Posts: 203
    Mama G said:

you have my prayers, Cathy.
    Please let us know how it went. It's a lot easier than you mind lets you believe. After it was over with the nurse said "Rate your pain from 1 to 10" I said "2.5" not bad at all.
    And it never went above that. Good luck. Hopefully you'll have good news to report when you get home.
    God bless,
    Lorraine

I'm not a Pink Angel but I
    I'm not a Pink Angel but I wear a blue ribbon for colon cancer and will be so on some prayers for you and your family!

Christine
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    Sigma34 said:

I'm not a Pink Angel but I
    I'm not a Pink Angel but I wear a blue ribbon for colon cancer and will be so on some prayers for you and your family!

Christine

Good luck!
    We will be thinking of you. It's going to be much easier than you fear. Take care!
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    "What if's" are a constant
    "What if's" are a constant source of worry with cancer. But it does seem like we get a little better at handling them as time goes on.

You have my prayers. Always know that we are here for you. Let us know how everything is going when you feel up to it!

xoxoxoxoxo Lynn
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    lynn1950 said:

"What if's" are a constant
    "What if's" are a constant source of worry with cancer. But it does seem like we get a little better at handling them as time goes on.

You have my prayers. Always know that we are here for you. Let us know how everything is going when you feel up to it!

xoxoxoxoxo Lynn

just said and will continue
    just said and will continue let us know how you are doing!!!!!
  • MGNS
    MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member
    I had the same surgery one
    I had the same surgery one month ago and it was a breeze. I was anxious about the surgery and was surprised once it was over with how easy it was.
    I will keep you in my prayers. I have a large group of prayer sisters that has given me such strength and we will pray for you. Keep positive thoughts!
    Hugs!
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Cathy,my Prayers are with you.
    I went thru the same thing.I know how scary it is.You will get thru it even when you think you wont.My Prayers are with you.When you feel like it please let us know how you are.Love and Prayers.Pat.
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    carkris said:

just said and will continue
    just said and will continue let us know how you are doing!!!!!

tomorrow's surgery
    I am anxiously awaiting your next post, reporting how excited and pain free you are! See you on the other side!
  • pgrace35
    pgrace35 Member Posts: 122
    Prayers your way
    Dear Cathy,

Going through the same exact surgery I know and understand your feeling.Keep the good thoughts and trust on your feeling on your surgeon, get through this surgery first and when you wake up,then focus on the "what ifs". Once you know the prognosis, then go from there, take all this one step at a time. Just remember the treatments in breast cancer have come a very long way, have faith in that. Best wishes to you tomorrow, my prayers are with you.

Sincerely,
    Patty
  • Whoknowz
    Whoknowz Member Posts: 82
    We're all with you
    Once I calmed down after finding my lump, I just moved right thru the exams, tests, biopsies, and diagnosis. I never doubted I was going to be fine and comforted everybody else. Then the week of the surgery (lumpectomy/sentinel node biopsy/excisional biopsy on other breast)I was a wreck. I was so nervous and I'm usually very laid back. All the prep stuff kept me pretty busy the morning of the surgery but I was so glad to see my surgeon. I have so much confidence in her, it calmed me down -- even before the happy drugs! When I woke up, the first thing I told my family was that I'm now a survivor.

You're doing great. You're aware of your fears, and you've come to a safe, loving space where you can talk honestly about your feelings, and get loving, understanding support. Marlene's right -- those deep breaths are powerful helpers.

So tomorrow, along with the deep breaths remember we're there with you.

Angela
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    It IS Scary--have faith that you will be fine
    Hi, Cathy,

I had my lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on 11/6, so not even a month ago. I was nervous, too, but also eager to get going with the removal of cancer from my body. I feel so much better now that I know that tumor is gone!

Your surgeon will do everything possible to ensure that you have a long and healthy future ahead of you. Do the exercises they give you religiously--they REALLY help with swelling and with getting your range of motion back to normal. I started doing the exercises as soon as I woke up, gently of course, but stretching & flexing, and I did them several times a day every day. Today I can lift my arm straight up quickly, no problem, swing it all around, and I feel great.

The unknowns are there, and there's nothing we can do to eradicate them. We just have to keep forging ahead with the belief that every step we take will make us stronger and healthier.

Hang in there! I'll be thinking about you tomorrow and praying for a fantastic outcome!

Sandy
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    My thoughts and prayers are
    My thoughts and prayers are with you. The anticipation can be more frightening than the surgery itself. Try to relax tonight (not easy I know. It is so hard not to imagine the worst. I will keep positive thoughts that this will be only the lumpectomy and the nodes will be clearn. We are all here for you Cathy.
    Stef
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

It IS Scary--have faith that you will be fine
    Hi, Cathy,

I had my lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on 11/6, so not even a month ago. I was nervous, too, but also eager to get going with the removal of cancer from my body. I feel so much better now that I know that tumor is gone!

Your surgeon will do everything possible to ensure that you have a long and healthy future ahead of you. Do the exercises they give you religiously--they REALLY help with swelling and with getting your range of motion back to normal. I started doing the exercises as soon as I woke up, gently of course, but stretching & flexing, and I did them several times a day every day. Today I can lift my arm straight up quickly, no problem, swing it all around, and I feel great.

The unknowns are there, and there's nothing we can do to eradicate them. We just have to keep forging ahead with the belief that every step we take will make us stronger and healthier.

Hang in there! I'll be thinking about you tomorrow and praying for a fantastic outcome!

Sandy

I also had the same surgery
    I also had the same surgery back in June. I know the fear your feeling, but it was not as bad as I had thought it would be. I think the waiting for all the results is the worst part. Good luck and i will keep you in my prayers.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Cathy
    Breathe deep and you will get thru this. I know how scary the surgery is. We are all praying for you.

Hugs
    Linda T
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi Cathy
    Breathe deep and you will get thru this. I know how scary the surgery is. We are all praying for you.

Hugs
    Linda T

Prayers being said as I
    Prayers being said as I write. I also had the same surgery. It was over quickly, with little pain. I pray your surgery will be as easy.
  • contrail
    contrail Member Posts: 129
    My Prayers Are With You
    I had my mastectomy this last December 23rd. I was a nervous wreck, but I also wanted the beast out of me as soon as possible. I loved my surgeon. She really helped me to keep calm once I got to the hospital. I know this is a very trying time for you, but you will be so relieved when it's over. My prayers will be with you as you go through this tomorrow. Before you know it, you'll be awake and hungry. Take a deep breath and stay strong. Connie
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    PRAYERS ARE COMING YOUR WAY
    Cathy you most certainly will be in my prayers. Awaiting surgery and the answers it will provide is always so very unnerving. Pleas post when you are up to it to let us know how you are doing.

A little tip I learned from my mom is to get a small pillow, 8 by 5 inches would be good and gently place it under your arm it relieves a lot of the pressure and pain of bumps and quick movements. Please be kind to yourself as you heal.

RE
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Saying prayers for you....
    Hopefully you will find comfort in all of our words, but I don't think there is anything any of us could say to take your nervousness away. It goes with the territory. Just know that you were lead to the right people to take care of you and tell them you are very anxious so they do not delay in giving you a seditive! It will help. We will be here waiting to hear from you when you are feeling up to posting. Pammy