Accelerated radiation - any experience with it?

TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was PMing on Saturday evening with Anne, one of our new members who's going to be starting radiation soon, and she was asking if any of us have any experience with accelerated radiation, i.e., newer types of radiation treatments that are much shorter than the standard treatment.

I found some descriptions of a few different types of accelerated radiation on the ACS site, but wanted to post on Anne's behalf -- does anyone have any experience with this, or has anyone talked with your doctor about it?

Traci

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I have not actually had
    I have not actually had experience with it but a lady that goes to the same oncologist office I do was telling me she had accelerated radiation. It was done right after her surgery and before she did her chemo. I wasn't even aware it was an option. We don't have the same oncologist and mine never suggested it. Maybe it is for specific situations. I'll be interested to see the replies to your question.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    I'd like to know also
    I'm meeting with my oncologist on the 10th to discuss my treatment plan. I know I'll be doing rads, so I will definitely ask about this. Any first hand experience would be very good to know about!
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    There are at least 2 cancer
    There are at least 2 cancer centers in my area (central IN) that are doing the quick rad treatment. Supposedly the recurrence rates are the same as traditional rads. However, this was not offered as an option to me - my cancer center only does the traditional rads at this time as far as I know. I think this is an interesting alternative for patients in the future.
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Never heard of it...
    But it certainly sounds good if you don't have to do the 25 to 35 treatments that seem to be the standard now.....
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    dyaneb123 said:

Never heard of it...
    But it certainly sounds good if you don't have to do the 25 to 35 treatments that seem to be the standard now.....

Could this be the MAMMOSITE
    Could this be the MAMMOSITE procedure? It is done after your lumpectomy, it is put in the spot where the tumor was removed with clear margins, you go twice a day for 5 days. I couldn't do it because my tumor wasn't in my breast far enough to stay in place. Drawback is you can't take a shower while it is in place.
  • AnneFrank
    AnneFrank Member Posts: 5
    Hi Traci,
    Thanks for asking

Hi Traci,

Thanks for asking the question for me. Since we last spoke-my radiation oncologist told me she would not choose the accelerated treatment for herself, recommends the traditional method for most patients, including me. Some of what I have read says the potential for recurrence is not as good as with the traditional method and that not enough studies have been done. I also read that the accelerated method is more concentrated and may cause significant burns. I was considering it, but no longer. There is something to be said for tradition.

thanks and Bless Us All
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    AnneFrank said:

Hi Traci,
    Thanks for asking

Hi Traci,

Thanks for asking the question for me. Since we last spoke-my radiation oncologist told me she would not choose the accelerated treatment for herself, recommends the traditional method for most patients, including me. Some of what I have read says the potential for recurrence is not as good as with the traditional method and that not enough studies have been done. I also read that the accelerated method is more concentrated and may cause significant burns. I was considering it, but no longer. There is something to be said for tradition.

thanks and Bless Us All

MammoSite versus Contura accelerated partial rad
    There is a new study showing that using a Contura catheter offers dosimetric advantages over a MammoSite catheter and can improve immediate outcomes of accelerated partial breast irradiation. Though long-term studies are still being conducted, some of the early studies do show potential for long-term outcomes similar to full irradiation treatments.
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member

MammoSite versus Contura accelerated partial rad
    There is a new study showing that using a Contura catheter offers dosimetric advantages over a MammoSite catheter and can improve immediate outcomes of accelerated partial breast irradiation. Though long-term studies are still being conducted, some of the early studies do show potential for long-term outcomes similar to full irradiation treatments.

brachytherapy
    Yes, I had brachytherapy from 8/30 to 9/4/09. What would you like to know?