What chemo drugs HAVE been approved for uterine cancer (& so likely covered by insurance) ?

lindaprocopio
lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
I can't remember if we've ever had this conversation. What other chemo drugs besides caboplatin and paciltaxol have been approved for uterine cancer? Can we all please post any other chemo drugs we have been prescribed that were covered by insurance? Doxil? Tamoxifam? Avastin? Gleevac?

Comments

• lociee
    lociee Member Posts: 102
    taxol again!
    My doctor recently told me that when my cancer becomes more active he will put me on taxol again. He said it would be once a week for a few hours. I can't remember how many weeks. I started out with the usual carbo/taxol for 6 rounds - then was on doxil. The doxil didn't do anything - so was stopped and that's when the idea for radiation kicked in - and I've been kicking myself ever since. I took Xeloda(chemo) by mouth 2X daily during radiation. I don't know about the other chemo drugs you mentioned - but everything I've had has been covered by insurance. I've been very expensive!!!
    Mia
  • california_artist
    california_artist Member Posts: 816 Member
    Just a url
    This site mentions her-2 and drugs for that part of the cancer.
    didn't read the article, still hunting for more.

http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/8/5/1271.full
  • california_artist
    lociee said:

taxol again!
    My doctor recently told me that when my cancer becomes more active he will put me on taxol again. He said it would be once a week for a few hours. I can't remember how many weeks. I started out with the usual carbo/taxol for 6 rounds - then was on doxil. The doxil didn't do anything - so was stopped and that's when the idea for radiation kicked in - and I've been kicking myself ever since. I took Xeloda(chemo) by mouth 2X daily during radiation. I don't know about the other chemo drugs you mentioned - but everything I've had has been covered by insurance. I've been very expensive!!!
    Mia

Doxil
    Is a lipid covered traditional cancer drug, that is useful for mets to the brain, as it looks more like a fat to the brain then a chemo drug. Very tricky indeedy doody.
    Doxil is the trade name for the generic chemotherapy drug Doxorubicin liposomal. Doxil is the drug Doxorubicin encapsulated in a closed lipid sphere.
    Also says it's used for ovarian cancer so who knows? Should be covered though. I think other upsc girls have had it before.

This url refers to recal due to the fact that a truck load of Doxil and other drugs was stolen and not recovered. The site lists package numbers. Should you go down the doxil road, you could have your doctor check those numbers against the boxes they are using. Stolen produects have expiration date of 2010.

http://www.doxil.com/pdtrade.pdf

And as for the guidelines. Less than six months between last chemo and recurrence, new drugs are used. More than six months, original drug can be used again.
  • Songflower
    Songflower Member Posts: 608
    chemo drugs
    My Gyn Onc told me if I relapse less than eight months after chemo I would take topotecan (spelling?). Other wise I would repeat six carbo/platinum. I know some women have taken avastin. What I would like to know is about the new molecular drugs they have been using for ovarian with good results. There was a segment on a 60 minutes show about it. They are oral; and you don't lose your hair; and effective. I cannot remember the name of the drugs used in that show. We need to work at getting this covered for uterine serous.
  • california_artist

chemo drugs
    My Gyn Onc told me if I relapse less than eight months after chemo I would take topotecan (spelling?). Other wise I would repeat six carbo/platinum. I know some women have taken avastin. What I would like to know is about the new molecular drugs they have been using for ovarian with good results. There was a segment on a 60 minutes show about it. They are oral; and you don't lose your hair; and effective. I cannot remember the name of the drugs used in that show. We need to work at getting this covered for uterine serous.

some results with this: ovarian cancer molectular drugs-Googled
    Advances in Molecular Drug Development HighlightedNov 16, 2009 ... Olaparib is an oral anti-cancer drug in early development for the treatment of certain types of breast and ovarian cancer. ...www.aacr.org/home/public--media/aacr-press-releases.aspx?d... - Cached

Molecular targeting of drug delivery systems to ovarian cancer by ...T. Minko, P. Sinko, S. Stein, S.S. Dharap, B. Qiu, A.T. Fabbricatore and Y. Wang, Molecular targeting of drug delivery systems to ovarian cancer by BH3 and ...
    linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0168365903002098
    by SS Dharap - 2003 - Cited by 61 - Related articles

Reversal of Drug Resistance in Ovarian Cancer: Where Do We Go From ...Bell DR, Gerlach JH, Kartner N, et al: Detection of P-glycoprotein in ovarian cancer: A molecular marker associated with multidrug resistance. ...
    www.jco.org/cgi/content/full/26/16/2616