Pathology results came back -- clear lymph nodes but margins weren't clear, so have to have more sur

SherryAF
SherryAF Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
The doc called a few minutes ago. I had lumpectomy, sentinel node biopsy one week ago. Results are in, and the margins weren't clear on the lumpectomy, so I have to have another surgery, probably week after next. I am very frustrated, upset and sad right now. It's been one heck of a year for us. I just want things to start getting better.

I have my first appointment with oncologist next Wednesday, Dec. 2

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Hang in there......
    Sherry,
    I hate that you have to have yet another surgery......but better to get those clean margins, especially with the great news of CLEAN lympnodes........I know this is all so scary and frustrating.....but hang on....I promise you it will get better with time...I am finished all treatments....was released today by my radiation oncologist. It's been a long 8 months, that at times seemed never ending. I was diagnosed early April...lumpectomy on May 20.....chemo starting on June 15, ending August 17.....then started radiation in September, finished that 3 1/2 weeks ago..I remember being told my my medical oncologist in May that I would be finished all treatment by Thanksgiving...that sounded like an eternity to me.......and some days it was but here it is........THANKSGIVING! I know it is a cliche, but the time will start ticking off faster once your treatments start, I didn't believe that either when people told me that, but it does......
    I wish you the best, prayers and hugs to you..
    Peace be with you
    Nancy
  • mollyhannah
    mollyhannah Member Posts: 10
    Not fun
    Hi there, the same thing happened to me this summer, the sooner you go in for the surgery the better. I was so disgusted to. i had just been back to work for one week and they tell me the same news. it seems like 1 step forward and 5 steps back huh? Good luck on dec. 2 with your onc. Just hang in there, keep up your chin, let us know how your doing? many hugs for you. i will be starting chemo december 1. this is one long year.
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Hang in there!
    How frustrating! I've learned that some surgeons take larger margins than others--smaller sounds better until you find out the margins weren't clear!

Now you have to go back, so go in saying, "Be thou gone, cancer!"

Hang in there.
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Hi Sherry
    I also had to have

Hi Sherry

I also had to have another surgery to get the clear margins. I understand your frustration and sadness. I didn't want to hear any positive stuff I was soooo ticked. I do have to give you some positive stuff though, my 2nd surgery went better than the first. It was done with a local anesthesia instead of a general anesthesia so recovery was faster. I hope you'll be feeling better soon.

Good luck on 12/2
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Hi Sherry
    I had to have a second surgery also. You will find out that this happens a lot with breast cancer survivors. A big pluss for you is that you had clear nodes. I had to have more nodes removed also.

I'm sorry that you are having a bad day. Just keep your eye on the light at the end of the tunnell. You will soon get there.

Hugs
    Jadie<3
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Jadie said:

Hi Sherry
    I had to have a second surgery also. You will find out that this happens a lot with breast cancer survivors. A big pluss for you is that you had clear nodes. I had to have more nodes removed also.

I'm sorry that you are having a bad day. Just keep your eye on the light at the end of the tunnell. You will soon get there.

Hugs
    Jadie<3</p>

Sorry that you have to have
    Sorry that you have to have more surgery. I am wishing you good luck Sherry!

Leeza
  • eworell
    eworell Member Posts: 14
    you will be ok
    I had a lumpectomy, on Oct 26. I have to go in for re-incision on Dec. 9th.
    I know you are frustrated, so am I . and I made an appointment to see the oncologist for a consultation on Nove. 30th. unfortunately I still have to go in for a "clearer margin".
    Ughhhhhh!!!!! I know what ya mean...
    Keep ur head up.... you will be ok.... I dont want to get personal, but im 37... and I still dont know how to deal... just have a strong attitude...it helps alot...