Question regarding RADS and bras

Options
MyTurnNow
MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Does anyone know why we are instructed NOT to wear underwire bras while completing radiation?

Comments

• Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was told not to
    Hi! I was told not to because you don't want to irritate the skin that is getting the radiation. The main thing I was told about bras was to not wear an underwire bra, which I normally did. If I felt I needed one, they suggested a very soft all cotton bra. I just went without one. I think a few on here still wore a bra because they were quite large and needed something, but, they didn't wear underwires. You just have to be very gentle with your skin. Good luck to you with rads!

♥ Noel
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Noel said:

Hi! I was told not to
    Hi! I was told not to because you don't want to irritate the skin that is getting the radiation. The main thing I was told about bras was to not wear an underwire bra, which I normally did. If I felt I needed one, they suggested a very soft all cotton bra. I just went without one. I think a few on here still wore a bra because they were quite large and needed something, but, they didn't wear underwires. You just have to be very gentle with your skin. Good luck to you with rads!

♥ Noel

I wore a nice soft all
    I wore a nice soft all cotton bra. I am sure that underwires are an irritant and bras can be too. It really depends on how your skin reacts to the radiation. Some find bras chaffing and they go without. I would think that is why some center suggest no bras. I had some mild burning but nothing that made my wearing a bra uncomfortable. Some of the ladies had extreme burning and irritation under the breasts for a bra, particularly one with an underwire, would be so uncomfortable. And Noel is absolutely right be gentle with your skin. That is the most important thing. Use the lotions they recommend and use them often and right from day one.
    Stef
  • elizarose
    elizarose Member Posts: 124
    Options
    fauxma said:

I wore a nice soft all
    I wore a nice soft all cotton bra. I am sure that underwires are an irritant and bras can be too. It really depends on how your skin reacts to the radiation. Some find bras chaffing and they go without. I would think that is why some center suggest no bras. I had some mild burning but nothing that made my wearing a bra uncomfortable. Some of the ladies had extreme burning and irritation under the breasts for a bra, particularly one with an underwire, would be so uncomfortable. And Noel is absolutely right be gentle with your skin. That is the most important thing. Use the lotions they recommend and use them often and right from day one.
    Stef

I wore my bra and prosthesis
    I wore my bra and prosthesis until the last couple weeks when I was really hurting. I did burn significantly and couldn't even stand a seat belt across me in the car and sometimes even just my shirt was irritating.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Bra line area
    My radiation oncologist has told me repeatedly that what he calls "the bra-line area" underneath the breasts is the area most prone to burning and/or irritation during rads, because that's such a moist area. He's even told me not to use the lotions underneath the breasts, because he doesn't want to introduce *more* moisture there, but to just use cornstarch there instead, to try to keep it dry.

One of the first questions I asked him straight up was "Can I wear a bra?" He said that a soft cotton one without underwire or lace (too irritating) was just fine to continue wearing throughout rads, if it's comfortable for me. I'm...ahem...not a small woman, so I wear the cotton, no-underwire Cacique ones from Lane Bryant -- I'm on Day 11 of rads, and no problems so far with wearing these bras during the workday, though I go without to let the girls "breathe" in the evenings and on weekends.

(I live alone -- so the girls can breathe in privacy all they want! :-)

Traci
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Bra line area
    My radiation oncologist has told me repeatedly that what he calls "the bra-line area" underneath the breasts is the area most prone to burning and/or irritation during rads, because that's such a moist area. He's even told me not to use the lotions underneath the breasts, because he doesn't want to introduce *more* moisture there, but to just use cornstarch there instead, to try to keep it dry.

One of the first questions I asked him straight up was "Can I wear a bra?" He said that a soft cotton one without underwire or lace (too irritating) was just fine to continue wearing throughout rads, if it's comfortable for me. I'm...ahem...not a small woman, so I wear the cotton, no-underwire Cacique ones from Lane Bryant -- I'm on Day 11 of rads, and no problems so far with wearing these bras during the workday, though I go without to let the girls "breathe" in the evenings and on weekends.

(I live alone -- so the girls can breathe in privacy all they want! :-)

Traci

My rads oncologist said no
    My rads oncologist said no underwire bra for sure because it might irritate my skin. That was fine with me. Traci is right, the under your boob part is so sensitive that the underwires would really or maybe would affect it. I wore camisoles if I felt I needed to. My skin never burned, just got pink. Good luck!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    susie09 said:

My rads oncologist said no
    My rads oncologist said no underwire bra for sure because it might irritate my skin. That was fine with me. Traci is right, the under your boob part is so sensitive that the underwires would really or maybe would affect it. I wore camisoles if I felt I needed to. My skin never burned, just got pink. Good luck!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

My radiation oncologist told
    My radiation oncologist told me to not wear a bra as it would irritate your skin. Like the others said, he said an all cotton bra with no underwire would be ok. I chose to go braless.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

My radiation oncologist told
    My radiation oncologist told me to not wear a bra as it would irritate your skin. Like the others said, he said an all cotton bra with no underwire would be ok. I chose to go braless.

Underwire bras will irritate
    Underwire bras will irritate your skin and you definitely do not want that while taking rads. There are lots of other bras to wear if you want to. My insurance paid for some very expensive ones since I had a lumpectomy. They were cotton bras but gave me some support when I wanted it.

Leeza
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

I wore a nice soft all
    Stef

Underwires are an irritant
    Underwires are an irritant and after you have rads for a few weeks, you will understand. I didn't burn, got very pink, but, didn't want a bra on for sure. You will just have to decide on your own. I think it is very individual. Start using your creams from day one or even before if you have them and get lots of sleep.

Debby
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I was told no underwire
    I was told no underwire because of the metal. Same with the lotions and deorderants--only ones without metals.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Sher43009 said:

I was told no underwire
    I was told no underwire because of the metal. Same with the lotions and deorderants--only ones without metals.

Mine told me no bra, so, I
    Mine told me no bra, so, I didn't wear one during my radiation treatments. I didn't want to irritate my skin at all. And, I did use my creams from day one and even a few weeks after my rads were over. Be good and gentle with your skin.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Sher43009 said:

I was told no underwire

Interesting how we get slightly different information
    It's so interesting how we all often get slightly different information, and how our doctors have different views and approaches.

My radiation oncologist is allowing me to wear only Tom's of Maine deodorant -- when I asked him if it was because of the metals in regular antiperspirants/deodorants, he said no, it was because of the alcohol in regular deodorants, that the alcohol could be too irritating. He said it was the same reason he didn't want me to shave under my arms, though he's since conceded, and is letting me use an electric razor only.

Traci
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Interesting how we get slightly different information
    It's so interesting how we all often get slightly different information, and how our doctors have different views and approaches.

My radiation oncologist is allowing me to wear only Tom's of Maine deodorant -- when I asked him if it was because of the metals in regular antiperspirants/deodorants, he said no, it was because of the alcohol in regular deodorants, that the alcohol could be too irritating. He said it was the same reason he didn't want me to shave under my arms, though he's since conceded, and is letting me use an electric razor only.

Traci

I was told no shaving too
    I was told no shaving too which was no big deal since I lost the hair under my arm pretty quick due to the rads and still have none. So, ONE big bonus from rads, no shaving. And, I was also told if I had to use a deodorant to use Tom's of Maine because it is aluminum free and that is why it is allowable.

Also, if you read the thread the Noel started about questions and answers about radiation treatments, you will get a LOT of good advice and tips.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    I was told to buy a bra called Barely There that is available at Kohl's. I still wear it sometimes because it is so comfortable. Not much support but really comfortable.

Roseann