Going to therapy

christinecarl
christinecarl Member Posts: 543 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Went to a therapist that my Onc. recommended yesterday for the first time. It
went well, 80% of her patients have cancer of some kind, so it was nice to know
that she helps a lot of my people.

I had never tried any kind of therapy before but I felt very comfortable talking
to her, she told me most of the people she sees are like me, done with their
chemo and feeling adrift. She used to work in Hospice. She reassured me that I
should feel cured and that my Onc is one of the best Drs in my city. This made
me feel a lot better, but I definitely felt emotionally drained when I left.

My health insurance is changing next year from BCBS to Medica and she will be
out of network for it, so that makes me sad. I love my insurance and wish it
would not change, although I am very grateful that my employer pays all of the
premium.

I wanted to start therapy because I feel like my friends and family are probably
sick of hearing about my cancer, they have never said this to my face, but I
suspect it is a downer for them and tiresome. Plus I am still dealing with the
grief of losing my mom to colon cancer in 2006. It is coming up on my 1 year
anniversary of my diagnosis (Dec. 3) and I am sort of reliving it in my head.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving, I am happy to be able to eat this
year and not feel sick because of the tumor backing everything up inside like
last year. My stepdad is driving 250 miles to come have Thanksgiving with me
and I am very happy about that, I have no family in the city I live in, so this
is always a big deal for me.

Comments

• coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Enjoy yourself with Stepdad and others you can be with
    Remember too there is no shame in seeking help. In 2002, months after being diagnosed with COPD I finally went into a deep, severe depression that was hurting my job and rlationship with girlfirnd.The psychiatrist I saw was excellent, helped immensely and After I more or less accepted my plight and decided to beat it,I weaned myself off the meds I was on. After Dx with cancer in May 09 I didn;t see someone until already undergoing chemo and radiation . Former shrink no longer accepted my health plan. Saw new shrink only once when I decided I had been beaTing the COPD-I'm gonna beat this dam cancer
    With the right therapist you can overcome your fears, anxieties,work out depression,talk to a "professiinal" about whats bothering you--this can really usful. I think you made a wise decision in what you did....enjoy your Thanksgiving with loved ones and never give up.You may be down at times, just don;t let itlast too long, get back into the fight and live.....Steve
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Good for you
    I'm so glad you're getting the therapy, and it sounds like it's going to be so helpful to you. Good for you for taking care of yourself!

I so understand the anniversary of your diagnosis putting you in a different place. I was diagnosed 2 years ago on Nov. 21 and had my surgery on Nov. 23. So I've just celebrated 2 years, but it's also had me in a bit of a funk this week. I think I am just feeling sorry for the me that had to go through all that, you know?

Hope you have lots of sunny, healthy days ahead of you!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Julie 44
    Julie 44 Member Posts: 476 Member
    tootsie1 said:

Good for you
    I'm so glad you're getting the therapy, and it sounds like it's going to be so helpful to you. Good for you for taking care of yourself!

I so understand the anniversary of your diagnosis putting you in a different place. I was diagnosed 2 years ago on Nov. 21 and had my surgery on Nov. 23. So I've just celebrated 2 years, but it's also had me in a bit of a funk this week. I think I am just feeling sorry for the me that had to go through all that, you know?

Hope you have lots of sunny, healthy days ahead of you!

*hugs*
    Gail

Finding a therapist
    Hey I am glad you are seeing someone to make you feel better emontionally....I feel also that my family and friends are tired of hearing about cancer as I am too...How did you go about finding a therapist that works with people who have cancer??? I need to do this as I just had a PET scan to see if it has returned..If it has I am going to go BONKERS so I will need some help......Thanks Julie
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Julie 44 said:

Finding a therapist
    Hey I am glad you are seeing someone to make you feel better emontionally....I feel also that my family and friends are tired of hearing about cancer as I am too...How did you go about finding a therapist that works with people who have cancer??? I need to do this as I just had a PET scan to see if it has returned..If it has I am going to go BONKERS so I will need some help......Thanks Julie

Julie:start by asking your current doctors
    Both my oncologist and radiologist doctors helped get me nurse visits when needed as well as names of therapists who accepted my insurance. Canceer center accepteds my medical coverage but not for psychiatry altho center's main psych saw me for free for about an hour and also gave me some names, one of whom I saw for one visit.If you have a health plan ,cantact them for help. I'm also certain cities/states might provide assistance.Seeking outside help like a therapist can be a big assist in your war against cancer..Good luck in your search....Steve
  • christinecarl
    christinecarl Member Posts: 543 Member
    Julie 44 said:

Finding a therapist

Finding a Therapist
    Julie,

Like Steve said, I got her card from my Oncologists office, they actually gave me business cards for two different therapists that deal with cancer patients. I am sure your Drs can help you find someone that they have dealt with before. Good luck, I hope you find a good one to talk to.
  • Julie 44
    Julie 44 Member Posts: 476 Member

Finding a Therapist
    Julie,

Like Steve said, I got her card from my Oncologists office, they actually gave me business cards for two different therapists that deal with cancer patients. I am sure your Drs can help you find someone that they have dealt with before. Good luck, I hope you find a good one to talk to.

Thanks
    I have a appointment on 12/4 with my oncologist (sooner if results are not good) then I will ask him..Thanks alot I will check into it for sure...JULIE
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Great news
    I'm a big believer in therapy, especially for those of us going through cancer/treatments/survival, whatever. I've been with mine for 4 years and we don't always talk about cancer. I think it's good to talk with someone who is slightly detached from it yet knows what we have to deal with. Our families can help only so much.
    I'm glad you had Happy Thanksgiving.
    -phil