chemo fatigue

mollyhannah
mollyhannah Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, I will be starting chemo dec. 1 and i was wondering about the fatigue that I am supposed to get on ACT. How bad do you feel? can you get up out of bed and putter around the house? or do you just sleep all day? I want to be able to do something with my life while it is on hold for chemo. My boss put me on sick leave starting next week, because i work in a nursing home as a Certified Nursing Assistant, and being around patients could be bad for me and my immunity.

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Exercise
    Hi, mollyhannah -

I was on a different cocktail, so I won't try to compare severity with yours, but I thought it might be helpful to share that my oncologist *pounded* into my head throughout chemo that the best treatment (in his opinion) for chemo fatigue is moderate exercise (he suggested walking).

He also emphasized over and over that it's important to start exercising *before* the fatigue sets in, so, if you're starting next week (and if you don't already have an exercise program), now would be the time to start.

I felt like you, that I needed SOMETHING in my life besides (in my case) just work and doctors' appointments, so I definitely channeled my energy into keeping up as much of my exercise routine as I could. Even if I could only walk for 15 minutes some days, I know it helped me psychologically.

Hope that helps,

Traci
  • mollyhannah
    TraciInLA said:

Exercise
    Hi, mollyhannah -

I was on a different cocktail, so I won't try to compare severity with yours, but I thought it might be helpful to share that my oncologist *pounded* into my head throughout chemo that the best treatment (in his opinion) for chemo fatigue is moderate exercise (he suggested walking).

He also emphasized over and over that it's important to start exercising *before* the fatigue sets in, so, if you're starting next week (and if you don't already have an exercise program), now would be the time to start.

I felt like you, that I needed SOMETHING in my life besides (in my case) just work and doctors' appointments, so I definitely channeled my energy into keeping up as much of my exercise routine as I could. Even if I could only walk for 15 minutes some days, I know it helped me psychologically.

Hope that helps,

Traci

Thank you for your advice. I
    Thank you for your advice. I think walking is the best exercise. i will try to add that to my goals to strive for. and yes it helps --happy thanksgiving!
  • mollyhannah
    TraciInLA said:

Exercise
    Hi, mollyhannah -

Hope that helps,

Traci

cute baby!!!

cute baby!!!
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Mollyhannah
    I work as a homecare nurse and had adriamycin/cytoxan every 2 wks for 8 weeks then switched to taxol/herceptin every 2 wks x 8 wks then herceptin alone for a year. I totally agree with the other posts...exercise as much as you are able. It will help the fatigue. I was a runner up until my diagnosis, running 3 to 5 miles 4 to 5 times per week. When I started chemo, I couldnt run but I walked with my neighbor everynight about 2 miles per night. I also did yoga 4 to 5 times per week. I would also work about 25 hours per week the week after my chemo then week 2 I could push it to about 30 hours per week. On the taxol, I was able to work about 35 to 40 hours per week.

Everyone is different...but I do think the exercise was the best thing for me.

Hugs
    Linda t