Hi -- I was diagnosed one month ago -- had surgery last week; life is very surreal right now.

SherryAF
SherryAF Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I guess I'm also in the club where I don't want to be. It's been such an extremely emotional last year and a half for our family. All three (adult) kids and my husband have had major surgery, and oldest daughter got married last summer; my husband lost his job in March of this year. Five days after daughter got married, I had Achilles' tendon surgery and was using crutches/wheelchair for over a month. I was just really recovering from that surgery when I went to my mammogram appointment (one month early -- they had to reschedule my appointment because of the doctor's schedule).

And then our whole world changed when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My cancer is an invasive cancer in the duct and also in the lobe. Thankfully, I did get the mammogram when I did, because we were able to continue COBRA insurance. We had already decided to drop it and get new insurance because of the cost of COBRA, but we were able to get our check into them at the last minute.

I have a wonderful husband and wonderful kids, but today I'm tired and sored and scared. Not sure if I'll need chemo or not. Sentinel lymph node was negative on day of surgery. We go back to the doctor tomorrow for followup and to discuss options.

Thanks for listening.

Sherry

Comments

• lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Welcome, Sherry. Of course
    Welcome, Sherry. Of course you are tired, sore, and scared. Recognizing how you feel, yet still being grateful for what is good in your life, is an important step in treatment and recovery. Another good thing: It sounds like your bc was caught early.

Your world has changed so fast and so dramatically, that it does feel like a surreal universe. We are here for you. xoxoxo Lynn
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Welcome, Sherry. Glad you
    Welcome, Sherry. Glad you found us. We'll be here for support, answers to your questions, rants or whatever you'd like to share. Let us know how your doctor appointment goes. If chemo is in the cards, just know it's doable. Whatever it takes to kick the butt of this disease is all doable. One day at a time!!
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Sherry
    Thank God for COBRA.

Sherry
    Thank God for COBRA. My Husband was laid off the first of October and I found my lump the next week. I have the same cancer and it is also in one lumph node. Family has freaked out but once confirmed by pathology I have felt pretty calm. Never considered, Oh my God I'm going to die. Nice that my oncologist has confirmed this. His words were, " You do understand the Death is not an option for you?"

I am starting Chemo tomorrow, then surgery followed by more chemo and rads. Had my big panic attack when I first found the lumps which was the month before my scheduled mammogram and physical. Now I am very focused on being proactive on my treatment. I am really happy with my oncologist and surgeon. Both are great at taking the time to explain everything to me. I have my port which I guess I am lucky that I have had no problems with it. Maybe alot of my attitude because I am thrilled to have it so that they don't have to abuse my veins. Yes it has been a little sore and I do get a wierd sensation in my throat depending on what I am doing but overall doing great.

Although I do not consider this the "will of God" but rather the work of the devil my Mantra has become, 'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.' I find a lot of peace in knowing this, hope it helps you.

Your sister in spirit
    Vicki
  • jennN
    jennN Member Posts: 40
    tired and sore
    I remember feeling similarly. It was like a whirlwind. Take time for yourself and be sure to ask for help from friends and family. People really want to help and don't always know how.

If you have invasive b/c you will likely have chemo...even if the lymph node was negative. I had invaseve b/c that was lympnode negative and thought I wouldn't have it....

Unless you just have ductal insite b/c...but it sounds like it's out of the duct.

There is a good book called, "Dr. Susan Loves Breast." If you haven't read it yet, you might want to just buy it on Amazon or any book store. It is at the library, but I found I marked on many pages. It's really helpful and will explain a lot about your test results....etc.

Thinking of you.

Jenn
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member

Sherry
    Thank God for COBRA.

Sherry
    Thank God for COBRA. My Husband was laid off the first of October and I found my lump the next week. I have the same cancer and it is also in one lumph node. Family has freaked out but once confirmed by pathology I have felt pretty calm. Never considered, Oh my God I'm going to die. Nice that my oncologist has confirmed this. His words were, " You do understand the Death is not an option for you?"

I am starting Chemo tomorrow, then surgery followed by more chemo and rads. Had my big panic attack when I first found the lumps which was the month before my scheduled mammogram and physical. Now I am very focused on being proactive on my treatment. I am really happy with my oncologist and surgeon. Both are great at taking the time to explain everything to me. I have my port which I guess I am lucky that I have had no problems with it. Maybe alot of my attitude because I am thrilled to have it so that they don't have to abuse my veins. Yes it has been a little sore and I do get a wierd sensation in my throat depending on what I am doing but overall doing great.

Although I do not consider this the "will of God" but rather the work of the devil my Mantra has become, 'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.' I find a lot of peace in knowing this, hope it helps you.

Your sister in spirit
    Vicki

Sherry
    You really have had a tough year... but you must be grateful for having a wonderful husband who is there for you. We're all in this together ... and whenever you need a cyber hug ... just log on to this site ... and someone will be here. Seems like with the different time zones/different countries ... and the fact that many of us can't sleep at night ... it seems that someone is always here ... 24/7. So ... please post and let us know how you are doing and ask any question ... nothing is considered silly, stupid or "off base" here. So ... just ask away. We're here for each other ... to share experiences, knowledge and most of all support.

hugs.
    teena
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Sherry
    So glad you found this site. It has been a godsend to me.

You've already been through a lot, but we warriors have a seemingly bottomless well of strength on which to draw and that you will be able to use to fight this battle.

It sounds like you've already got a great deal of support at home, and now you've found us!

Rest as much as you can and pamper yourself right now as you gather your strength for the next steps. You can do this, and we'll be here to cheer you on every step of the way!

Take care,
    Cindy
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411

Sherry
    So glad you found this site. It has been a godsend to me.

You've already been through a lot, but we warriors have a seemingly bottomless well of strength on which to draw and that you will be able to use to fight this battle.

It sounds like you've already got a great deal of support at home, and now you've found us!

Rest as much as you can and pamper yourself right now as you gather your strength for the next steps. You can do this, and we'll be here to cheer you on every step of the way!

Take care,
    Cindy

Sherry
    I too am glad you found us here!! and your Cancer was caught early.. We have all felt that tired and sore feeling!! Good to hear your lymph nodes were clear!! Sounds like you may be a good candidate for the oncotype test.

The most imortant thing to do is to take care of yourself!! Good to know you have a good support system!!

Calleen
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Sherry
    Its nice to meet you, but I wish it could have been different circumstances. Its good that the sentinel node was negative, but I agree you may still need chemo anyway. I just finished chemo about 6 weeks ago and I must say it wasnt as horrible as I expected it to be. REmember that we are all here for you every step of the way. You just need to post and someone will be here.

Hang in there
    Lindat
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi Sherry
    Its nice to meet you, but I wish it could have been different circumstances. Its good that the sentinel node was negative, but I agree you may still need chemo anyway. I just finished chemo about 6 weeks ago and I must say it wasnt as horrible as I expected it to be. REmember that we are all here for you every step of the way. You just need to post and someone will be here.

Hang in there
    Lindat

I had an OncoTypeDX test.
    Hi Sherry,

When you see your doctor he/she will probably suggest this test. It has been available since 2004 and there is only one lab in the world that does it. The cost is $3,000 but insurance normally covers it. The test examines the genetic make-up of the tumor to predict the aggressiveness and the likelihood of cancer reoccuring in 10 years. The score goes from low to high. My score was 18 which is low intermediate so the decision wasn't easy. Years ago, all women with invasive bc had chemo. This test helps oncologists advise those of us who have Stage 1 and Stage 2, node negative cancer with the chemo decision. You can get more info about this test online.

By the way, I'm 59 and decided not to have chemo. The test showed a 3% advantage for reoccurance in 10 years but at my age I was concerned that my older body would have challenges rebounding from chemo. If I were younger, I may have decided differently.

Please keep us posted.

Roseann
  • SherryAF
    SherryAF Member Posts: 31
    roseann4 said:

I had an OncoTypeDX test.
    Hi Sherry,

When you see your doctor he/she will probably suggest this test. It has been available since 2004 and there is only one lab in the world that does it. The cost is $3,000 but insurance normally covers it. The test examines the genetic make-up of the tumor to predict the aggressiveness and the likelihood of cancer reoccuring in 10 years. The score goes from low to high. My score was 18 which is low intermediate so the decision wasn't easy. Years ago, all women with invasive bc had chemo. This test helps oncologists advise those of us who have Stage 1 and Stage 2, node negative cancer with the chemo decision. You can get more info about this test online.

By the way, I'm 59 and decided not to have chemo. The test showed a 3% advantage for reoccurance in 10 years but at my age I was concerned that my older body would have challenges rebounding from chemo. If I were younger, I may have decided differently.

Please keep us posted.

Roseann

Thank you all so much for
    Thank you all so much for your wonderful posts. We had our followup appointment with the doctor today, but we were all disappointed and frustrated to find out that the pathology report hasn't come in yet. She will call me as soon as she gets the report. In the meantime, we don't have the cancer staged, don't know if lymph nodes were negative, don't know if margins were clear, etc. I do have an appointment with oncologist for Wednesday of next week.

It has been a bummer of a week; I'm trying so hard to stay "up," but it is very difficult right now. My surgery was 6 days ago, and I am SO TIRED. Thanks for listening.

Sherry