Early, Early Roll Call: Thanksgiving day plans!!

mimivac
mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, ladies, after today, I am on Thanksgiving vacation! We are staying home this year and not even cooking so it should be a nice, quiet Thanksgiving for us.

On the big day, we have a table for 2 at this beautiful restaurant out in Virginia with waterfall views and a wonderful marble bar. They have a 3-course pre fixe menu and I have already picked my dishes: 1) WILD MUSHROOM RISOTTO with Parmesan cheese, sautéed foie gras,and chives; 2) Maple Lawn Farms Turkey Breast with wild mushroom stuffing, sweet potatoes, sunchoke, and celery; and 3) PUMPKIN POT DE CRÈME with crispy ginger bread pudding, cranberry marmalade, and pumpkin seed nougatine. I am trying to eat super healthy all week so I can feel good about indulging. We plan to arrive early and have a few drinks at the bar. I am especially looking forward to this unusual cocktail -- MANHATTAN DE COCHON: Bacon Infused Bourbon, Vermont Maple Syrup, and Bitters. Can't wait to try that!

So, the rest of the week should be pretty uneventful. We are having the house cleaned tomorrow, so that'll be nice. I plan to take nice bubble baths, read a lot, and finally watch the Netflix movies that I haven't returned in over 2 months. I hope that it'll be a much better Thanksgiving than last year! So, ladies, I know you've been posting about it all week, but let's hear it again: what are YOUR Thanksgiving weekend plans??!

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    We are staying home with our
    We are staying home with our two sons. One is on-call so he has to be available to his computer. The other son is making the turkey. He soaks it all night in brine and puts a lot of spices on it or in it. I'm cooking challenged. Like I said I bake them till the meat falls off the bone and he says that's not right. He way undercooks it for me but we didn't get poisoned last thanksgiving. And it was done. He got interested in cooking from the show "Good Eats". He made me watch some episodes but since I still have chemo brain (hee hee) I don't remember them. So I'm in charge of the Stove Top. My husband better make the potatoes or we'll end up with instant.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    IT sounds absolutely
    IT sounds absolutely delightful~ your choice of cuisine doubly makes us Kindred Spirits~ and that drink sounds incredible!

I am going to be busy, busy, busy! I mentioned we are having 20 or so for dinner, and I am one of those frantic people who start cleaning, and getting all of the dishes, serving platters, etc out and ready 5 days before the event! I put all of the non perishable ingredients I will be using in their own corner of the kitchen, so that I know that I have what I need. Forget Christmas for "making a list and checking it twice"~ I do that with my Thanksgiving grocery list! :-)

If I had a supersonic transport available, I just may fly out to DC and have that c.ocktail with you!

Have a happy happy day!
    Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • mimivac
    Marcia527 said:

We are staying home with our
    We are staying home with our two sons. One is on-call so he has to be available to his computer. The other son is making the turkey. He soaks it all night in brine and puts a lot of spices on it or in it. I'm cooking challenged. Like I said I bake them till the meat falls off the bone and he says that's not right. He way undercooks it for me but we didn't get poisoned last thanksgiving. And it was done. He got interested in cooking from the show "Good Eats". He made me watch some episodes but since I still have chemo brain (hee hee) I don't remember them. So I'm in charge of the Stove Top. My husband better make the potatoes or we'll end up with instant.

Brined turkey
    Hey, I have made that Good Eats brined turkey before! It's good. Trust your son! Brining is a great way to flavor a bird and ensure that it doesn't overcook. I've also done it with chickens. One year, we made a turkey with a coffee glaze and it was fantastic. Sounds weird, but it turned out great.

Sounds like a cozy family Thanksgiving for you guys!

Mimi
  • mimivac
    chenheart said:

IT sounds absolutely
    IT sounds absolutely delightful~ your choice of cuisine doubly makes us Kindred Spirits~ and that drink sounds incredible!

I am going to be busy, busy, busy! I mentioned we are having 20 or so for dinner, and I am one of those frantic people who start cleaning, and getting all of the dishes, serving platters, etc out and ready 5 days before the event! I put all of the non perishable ingredients I will be using in their own corner of the kitchen, so that I know that I have what I need. Forget Christmas for "making a list and checking it twice"~ I do that with my Thanksgiving grocery list! :-)

If I had a supersonic transport available, I just may fly out to DC and have that c.ocktail with you!

Have a happy happy day!
    Hugs,
    Chen♥

Come on down, Chen
    I would be delighted to share some bacon-infused bourbon with you!

You sound exceedingly organized about your Thanksgiving preparations, so I'm sure it will all go off without a hitch. I wish a big, happy celebration for you and yours!

Mimi
  • brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    MY PLANS
    well going to my moms and helping her with thanksgiving.. she is also a bc survivor.. my brother and family are coming down and finally it will be better than last year.. my other brother and his wife just had a babygirl oct 30 get to see the new arrival.. yepppyyy,, they both live far from us so we dont get to spend alot of time but it will be nice to have it all together.. HAVE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE AND HOPE YOUR PLANS ARE FULLFILLED!!!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Going to Deadwood (SD)
    Going to Deadwood (SD) for buffet at the Gold Dust. They have really delic. game hens on it during Holidays and prime rib always (LOVE it) along with LOTs of other 'stuff'. Of course - will loose some nickles to the "One Armed Bandits". Hubby and Son will be hitting the BJ or poker tables though.
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Going to My Husband's Sons House
    I have always cooked Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner for a house full. Usually 20 people but not this year. My husband told everyone I was not doing it this year. His son stepped up and said his family would do it all. Gotta love em. I have Chemo the day before Thanksgiving. Hope the steriods carry me through.

Donna
  • mimivac

Going to My Husband's Sons House
    I have always cooked Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner for a house full. Usually 20 people but not this year. My husband told everyone I was not doing it this year. His son stepped up and said his family would do it all. Gotta love em. I have Chemo the day before Thanksgiving. Hope the steriods carry me through.

Donna

Have fun, Donna!
    Cooking a Thanksgiving meal for 20 a day after a chemo treatment is a feat too heroic for most people, I would think. I'm glad your husband's son stepped up. You can just sit back and relax, as you should.

Mimi
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Kind of the polar opposite
    of what you're doing Mimi (frankly I think I'd rather join you, but it's a bit of a hike from California and I wouldn't want to be a 3rd wheel!)

We're going trailer camping out in the Mojave desert with about 6 other families. Leaving at O:dark 30 Thursday morning. Tonight I run by the market for all of the last minute things I need and to make my food donation to the local shelters. Tomorrow night I need to bake 2 apple pies and finish packing the rest of the food for the trip.

At least I'm not driving so I can catch up on my sleep on the way up!

We're taking our puppy, Rocky (looks like my picture, but that picture actually isn't him) with us, so he will have lots of fun running around in the dirt. Hubby will be riding his quad, and I might do a little myself, but I'm not sure how much I want to be bouncing around right now!

I do love camping, and the group we're going with are all really nice people, but the bikes and quads constantly running don't make for as peaceful an environment as I would otherwise choose. My preferred camping is in the mountains with the trees, but it's a bit chilly for that this time of year.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!!
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    having the traditional
    having the traditional turkey with all the fixins!
    My sister will be hosting and my daughter and grandson will be home from Germany. My neice and nephew will also be home from college. As I mentioned before we will be missing those who can not be here with us including my newphw and son in law who are in Iraq.
  • shortscake
    shortscake Member Posts: 228
    thanksgivings day plans
    I am going to my parents home my son is coming in town and my parents dont know he is in the navy in fla so they will be so happy to see him, my sister and her family will be there also.my dad is cooking everything that i love i keep telling him i cant eat that much but he keep saying he dont care. my son and sister have it planed for black friday with all the shopping we go out around 11 because a lot of the stores open at 12, i just love it being around all the people and yes shopping,i know it will be a all day thing. Hope everyone enjoy there thanksgiving.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member

thanksgivings day plans
    I am going to my parents home my son is coming in town and my parents dont know he is in the navy in fla so they will be so happy to see him, my sister and her family will be there also.my dad is cooking everything that i love i keep telling him i cant eat that much but he keep saying he dont care. my son and sister have it planed for black friday with all the shopping we go out around 11 because a lot of the stores open at 12, i just love it being around all the people and yes shopping,i know it will be a all day thing. Hope everyone enjoy there thanksgiving.

We are going to Denise's and
    We are going to Denise's and Kyle is cooking. He does pretty much all the cooking and he is a great cook. His mom and stepdad are coming up from San Diego. So it will be a small but loving group and I plan to play with my grandchildren all afternoon. I know that we are having turkey, sweet potatoes, but Kyle is not saying what else he is preparing. But it will be good. I want to wish everyone here the very best Thanksgiving. All the plans sound so fun. Mimi is especially interesting. I love the menu and although I don't drink I must say that concoction sounds very good.
    Stef
  • contrail
    contrail Member Posts: 129
    Thanksgiving Plans!
    We'll be having Thanksgiving at our home, as usual. I think I'm a gluten for punishment. We have 30 people coming for dinner. HELP! Actually, everyone helps out with the meal, so it's not as much work as it sounds. I had the house cleaned today, my kids are coming over tomorrow to help set up tables and get everything ready that way. I'm cooking one turkey and my niece is cooking a second one. Everyone else will bring the side dishes. We have a great time with family and friends at these feasts. I know by the end of the day, I'll be worn to a frazzle, but it's my one big party for the holidays, and I really do enjoy it.

I just want to wish all of you wonderful women a very Happy Thanksgiving. You've added alot to my life since I found you this last August and I want each of you to know what beautiful, courageous women you are. I have much to be thankful for this year. It was a year ago this week that I found out I had the beast. So 2009 has been my "Year of the Cure". Finding the cancer as soon as I did, and being able to go through the surgery, chemo and radiation treatments as well as I did is something I'm very thankful for. Having the support of so many people has meant everything to me. I could go on, but I won't. I just want to say thanks to all of you. I don't write alot, but I read the discussion boards all the time and you've really been so much help in my fight. Happy Thanksgiving! Connie
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279
    Scaled back Thanksgiving
    I'm having Thanksgiving dinner with my daughter and her boyfriend. She's cooking the turkey and a pumpkin cheesecake for desert, he's doing the mashed taters, I'm doing gravy, cranberries and stuffing and teaching her how to do the green bean casserole. My son, his wife and kids are having a huge family get-together at their house. I haven't moved into my own apt yet (next week) so I'll stay with my daughter a couple nights. Got to steer clear of all the people and small children with germs!
    I wish everyone a wonderful holiday whatever you are doing. I am definitely thankful for all of you. When I found this site, I never thought I would gain such a large family but that's what you are. God Bless you all. Lola
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Sounds wonderful!
    Mimi that sounds like a lovely way to spend Thanksgiving, enjoy every minute of it you deserve it.

We will be going to a friends home, she is hosting my family and I am quite excited about it. There will be her, her husband and grand daughter and me and my entourage of 10 plus me. It should be a lot of fun relaxing and enjoying the gathering.

In preparation tomorrow I will be baking Mile high Pies, cookies and such. I love to bake so this is therapy for me!

You all have a wonderful THanksgiving, we have all fought hard to get here so lets enjoy it!

BIG OLE HUGS,

P.S. I am thankful for each of you!

RE
  • Kim59
    Kim59 Member Posts: 43
    Thanksgiving plans
    Well this year will be different. I usually host my husbands family of 30+ but just couldn't bring myself to do it this year. I will be spending Thanksgiving with my husband and 2 boys in San Luis Obispo(CA) with my parents. It will be a quiet dinner but I plan to eat a lot, enjoy some wine, relax, eat some more then waddle over to Yeng-Sheng and get a foot massage.

Happy Thanksgiving to all....
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Scaled down Thanksgiving
    We're doing smaller this year, too, like many of you. Last year we had 50 people--we have a pretty small house, and it was packed! I never got to sit down for an instant, so I swore this year would be smaller. After the cancer dx I began planning even smaller.

My DH & I work with the Friends to International Students at the Univ of Oklahoma; we're the co-Presidents this year. Took that on--and 10 international students--just before the cancer dx and just couldn't tell people that we couldn't fulfill what we'd promised, so one way or another, we'll see them all through this year. One of our "daughters," Ani from Armenia, has already insisted on helping with cooking during chemo and told me to consider her a "real" daughter. Pretty cool!

About 15-20 people will be here tomorrow, I'm guessing. We'll have students from India, Korea, Africa--Ghana, to be specific, as well as friends from this town and from Germany (they live here, too, and teach at the university), and a couple of stray professors from my husband's department (physics). Other good friends coming include a couple who own a local candy store--he just finished a 2nd round of chemo for a nasty inoperable tumor lodged between his aorta and his spine--and their grown son who owns a tobacco shop.

Today a female friend (Rachel) of my youngest son is here, and he (Brandon), Rachel, & I are baking pies. She loves to bake pies, and as her mother is going to her BF's daughter's house for the big day, Rachel has decided to spend Thanksgiving with us. We've known her for years, so she's like a daughter to us, too. She & Brandon are creating grape-pomegranate pie and raspberry-pomegranate "calzones" that they're going to bake. We've already done a traditional pumpkin pie, and the grape-pomegranate pie and a chocolate bourbon pecan pie are baking right now . . . mmmmmmm!

Christmas will be different this year, too, but that story can wait until another day!

Everyone--have a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with Love and Comfort! Sandy
  • Taina
    Taina Member Posts: 166
    thanksgiving plan
    I will be going to Church at 9am, lunch around 1pm at my sisters, Friday maybe some shopping with my sister-in-law and then will drive to Cape Coral, Fl for the weekend.
    If the weather permits going to the beach.....

You all have a great weekend!!!!!!!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Taina said:

thanksgiving plan
    I will be going to Church at 9am, lunch around 1pm at my sisters, Friday maybe some shopping with my sister-in-law and then will drive to Cape Coral, Fl for the weekend.
    If the weather permits going to the beach.....

You all have a great weekend!!!!!!!

Turkey Day
    We are going to my one of my sister in laws. It should be a great time. There will be lots of people, lots of food, lots of kids, lots of booze. LOL We are looking forward to it. There will be football, cards, lots of conservation, or, just play with the babies.

Wishing everyone a happy day!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    susie09 said:

Turkey Day
    We are going to my one of my sister in laws. It should be a great time. There will be lots of people, lots of food, lots of kids, lots of booze. LOL We are looking forward to it. There will be football, cards, lots of conservation, or, just play with the babies.

Wishing everyone a happy day!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

Today
    Jake and I are going to a tree lighting and fireworks and before this they will have a bunch of fun activities and band playing.

Margo