Bi lateral mastectomy or not

scared1
scared1 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was recently diagnosed with lobular breast cancer. I am 62 years old and now I have to make the decision whether to have only the left breast removed or have both of them. I hear so much from so many people--I am not sure what to do.

My doctor says the chances are 1% a year that I would have it in my right breast. I am just not sure. Can someone give me some feedback?

Thanks

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I had ductal so that might
    I had ductal so that might make a difference. I was a stage 3a with huge tumors. The surgeon told me it wouldn't come back in the other side but didn't give me details. Guess I should have asked but I didn't know anything. So I just took his word for it. I was diagnosed in 2003. I guess you just look at the facts and decide what you would be most comfortable with and talk it over with your surgeon.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Welcome,
    Well, lobular is a bit different from ductal, which is what most people have. Prognostically, I think you have an advantage, although it is known to more often come back to the other breast than ductal. Chances are still very low that it will, however. Ask you onc. about the special considerations, if any, for lobular breast cancer. Good luck with this very personal decision. You will be OK either way.

Mimi
  • brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    know the feeling
    hi just wanted to let you know i had stage 2 2cm in my left breast which was aggressive and invasive i had my left mastectomy and im glad i did! i worry bout the other in time but im getting through it one day at a time.. some people make decisions before they know whats best for them and my advice is talk to your dr get all the information u can and see whats best for you.. i wanna wish you all the best out of the decision you make and you will be just find. HAVE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

PRAYERS & HUGS!!!
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi
    I had bilateral mastectomies after ductal cancer. The cancer was on the right side, but I had fibrocystic breast disease my entire adult life and just couldnt handle worrying about it. You will make the best decision for you and the one that gives you the most peace.

Hugs
    Linda T
  • Kim59
    Kim59 Member Posts: 43
    Bilateral
    Mine is lobular. I had bilateral Oct 30 with reconstruction. I am glad I did. I have fibrocytic, dense breasts and I was having ultrasounds every 6 months and I just didn't want to worry about it anymore. I also wanted both my breasts to look the same. Ask your surgeon if he does a skin-sparing mastectomy.

I was told that lobular cancer can show up in the other breast more than ductal??

Hope this helps.

Kim
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Kim59 said:

Bilateral
    Mine is lobular. I had bilateral Oct 30 with reconstruction. I am glad I did. I have fibrocytic, dense breasts and I was having ultrasounds every 6 months and I just didn't want to worry about it anymore. I also wanted both my breasts to look the same. Ask your surgeon if he does a skin-sparing mastectomy.

I was told that lobular cancer can show up in the other breast more than ductal??

Hope this helps.

Kim

I had lobular cancer, LCIS
    I had lobular cancer, LCIS (like DCIS but lobular instead of ductal) and DCIS in 2000 and had a lumpectomy and radiation. Early this year, it was discovered that there was DCIS in a different place in the same breast which required a mastectomy. I chose a bilateral mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction (couldn't have implants because of the radiation). There was no cancer in the other breast, although I have had several 'scares' during the past nine years.

I do not regret the route that I've taken; each decision was right for me at the time that I made it. I was glad that I kept my breasts as long as I could; but when I had the mastectomy and reconstruction, I wanted to 'get it done' all at once, so I wouldn't have to do it again. It really depends on how you feel, and you are the one that needs to have peace based on the decision that you make.

Joyce
  • mberg
    mberg Member Posts: 62
    bilateral
    I am 34 and just has a bilateral mastectomy with all lymph nodes removed on the rt and sentinal on the left. I did NOT want to go through surgery again in 10 yrs. It was painful, I still need lots of help, but feel relieved that they are gone. It is very personal, and you need to decide what is best for you. monica