Someone for my sister to talk to....

Options
cat_3117
cat_3117 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
How do I find someone that my sister can talk to? She has been diagnosed with breast cancer and will undergo a right side mastectomy on Dec. 2nd. She is isolated at home and really has no one to talk to that has experienced what she is going through. It would help her so much if someone could make contact with her while she is going through what is ahead of her. Thank you for any help. Catherine

Comments

• tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    computer
    If your sister has a computer ... please, please give her this website and tell her that we are all here for her ... and with her.

I also live alone and in the beginning I had difficulty with my diagnosis. Wasn't sure how I could deal with everything alone. Then I found this website and it has been a blessing. The people here have walked in my shoes and know and understand everything that goes on throughout the journey. We are all here for each other ... to share knowledge, experiences ... and most of all support.

hugs.
    teena
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    If she has a computer and
    If she has a computer and can access this site, of course we are ready and able to welcome and nurture her with open arms.If that is not an option, she can call the ACS 800#, or perhaps the Cancer Center she will be going to has a support group they can recommend to her.
    Often the hospitals' social services can assist with finding support as well.
    You are a sweetheart for doing this legwork for your sister; please let us know when she finds the group she needs!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • cat_3117
    Options
    chenheart said:

If she has a computer and
    If she has a computer and can access this site, of course we are ready and able to welcome and nurture her with open arms.If that is not an option, she can call the ACS 800#, or perhaps the Cancer Center she will be going to has a support group they can recommend to her.
    Often the hospitals' social services can assist with finding support as well.
    You are a sweetheart for doing this legwork for your sister; please let us know when she finds the group she needs!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Thanks for the kind words....
    Thank you, Cheri - My sister is not computer literate, unfortunately. I had thought about checking the hospital social services, so I will pursue that. I feel so bad for her because I know it is even worse when you have no "knowledgeable" connections to help ease the anxiety that you're going through. Again, thank you so much for you advice.

Hugs back -
    Cat
  • cat_3117
    Options
    tgf said:

computer
    If your sister has a computer ... please, please give her this website and tell her that we are all here for her ... and with her.

I also live alone and in the beginning I had difficulty with my diagnosis. Wasn't sure how I could deal with everything alone. Then I found this website and it has been a blessing. The people here have walked in my shoes and know and understand everything that goes on throughout the journey. We are all here for each other ... to share knowledge, experiences ... and most of all support.

hugs.
    teena

Thank you...
    Thank you, teena, for your response. My sister, unfortunately, is not computer literate, so that is not really an option for her. I would love to find someone that could be her support buddy while she is going through this. If you know of anyone in her area - Richardson, TX - if you could let me know. Per Cheri's response, I will also try the Social Services department at the hospital where she will have her surgery. Good luck in your journey.

Hugs -
    Cat
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your sister is facing this
    But there are options for her to talk to someone face to face or on the telephone. Check with her cancer center if they do a "mentoring" program where another survivor will be available to talk to your sister via phone or even in person. Sometimes these people will come to treatments and such to keep her company. Also, how about support groups? I can imagine that there would be several in her community. There should be signs up at her oncologist's office. If not, ask the support staff. The American Cancer Society's 800 number is a also a good resource. They can tell you who to call to get what you need. Good luck. You sound like a good sister.

Mimi
  • cat_3117
    Options
    mimivac said:

I'm sorry your sister is facing this
    But there are options for her to talk to someone face to face or on the telephone. Check with her cancer center if they do a "mentoring" program where another survivor will be available to talk to your sister via phone or even in person. Sometimes these people will come to treatments and such to keep her company. Also, how about support groups? I can imagine that there would be several in her community. There should be signs up at her oncologist's office. If not, ask the support staff. The American Cancer Society's 800 number is a also a good resource. They can tell you who to call to get what you need. Good luck. You sound like a good sister.

Mimi

Thanks so much....
    Thank you, Mimi, for your kind words and suggestions. I will do all of those. Hopefully I will be able to find someone who can offer her some one-on-one "experiential" support....that would be so wonderful for her. Thank you again....Happy Thanksgiving.
    Cat
  • Lynda53
    Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
    Options
    My healthcare has help
    BCBS

My healthcare has help

BCBS actually called me! I have spoken w/the social nurse several times. I don't know her title but she is awesome. My cancer center social workers are also great.As said, ACS is also helpful,she really does need to talk to someone before the surgery.
    Feel free to email me if you would like me to call her on the weekend. I am far from the best, but I am going through the same, I can only offer encouragement,support and kind words.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Contact your/her local ACS
    Contact your/her local ACS office (or the nearest one) and ask for help for her. They are a wealth of info and support groups. "Reach To Recovery" is one of those groups, also "Look Good - Feel Better". Less than a week after my mastectomy last month, I had a call from them and a packet of all sorts of info (including a soft fiberfil 'boob' to use until I get my prothesis). I've gotten a couple of calls from them 'just checking up' on me. The CCI I go to has a 'BC Navigator' who job is to be there to help with 'everything'. She knows each by name and never misses seeing them on each visit be it a Dr. appt or chemo to check up if there are any issues that need help. She has lots of resources.

Thoughts and prayers for your sister and you.

Susan