chemo brain

snommintj
snommintj Member Posts: 601
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Maybe it's the amount of chemo I gotten or just that I'm overly sensitivebut I have chemo brain, no question. What was I saying? Oh yeah, chemo brain... I've gotten some unexpected help. I downloaded the game Fling on my iphone. I downloaded it for my son but I've been playing it. I have noticed a marked improvement in my memory and thought process since i've been playing. The game is fairly simple but the trickier puzzles require significant thought in a small amount of time. I haven't had a spell in a few weeks. If you're experiencing chemo brain give it a try. It's fun and has helped me quite a bit.

Comments

• coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    I use my ability/inability to do crossword puzzles
    as one measure of the effect of chemo on my brain. I;ve gotten better at it than six months ago but as I'm now doing chemo again, it remains to be seen how poorly I solve these now. There was a very frustrasting period where half of tthe crossword would be blank.....Retention is shot.....Steve
  • donnare
    donnare Member Posts: 266
    Thanks
    Thanks John - my husband has noticed "chemo brian" since he returned to work and it is bothering him. He is an engineer and worries about the fuzziness. I'll let him know about this.

Be well,
    Donna
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Crossword puzzles/ word searches
    I began doing puzzles during chemo out of boredom and found it greatly increased my ability to concentrate. I still use the wrong word sometimes, but menopause causes some of the same symptoms as chemo. :o)

As a sidebar, I've noticed my hands are feeling a bit better since I started playing my one and only PS2 game. I love Jak and Daxter. I got the hand me down game a few years ago when Nick got a PS3. I only like to play the one game, tho.

I'm walking every day and that seems to help my feet/ legs, too. Now if I could just find a good reason to stick out my tongue, maybe I could fix that. 'tingle, tingle'....
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342

Crossword puzzles/ word searches
    I began doing puzzles during chemo out of boredom and found it greatly increased my ability to concentrate. I still use the wrong word sometimes, but menopause causes some of the same symptoms as chemo. :o)

As a sidebar, I've noticed my hands are feeling a bit better since I started playing my one and only PS2 game. I love Jak and Daxter. I got the hand me down game a few years ago when Nick got a PS3. I only like to play the one game, tho.

I'm walking every day and that seems to help my feet/ legs, too. Now if I could just find a good reason to stick out my tongue, maybe I could fix that. 'tingle, tingle'....

Love games!
    I was just watching the Today show about how as we age even, if we use our brains less, the cells die, and that playing games especially memory and word games, are said to help keep that brain working, use it or lose it, they say, my eyesight is very fuzzy when I try to read words and crosswords, and word searches, I hope this is temporary, I know it's due to chemo, fuzzy vision, but I really do try and play games.

In fact, I just taught my 9 year old son to play Blackjack 21 and Poker, which is actually helping his addition skills lol....

Hugsss!
    ~Donna