Mammos after lumpectomy

roseann4
roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have a mammo scheduled on my affected breast on Nov. 30th. I'm nervous because even after 6 months, my breast is still tender. I'm sure it is completely healed but they really smash the breast and I'm sure it will hurt. Anyone had one yet? I'm not worried that they will find anything suspicious because I just finished my rads in Aug. I'm just protective of my right boob. It's been through so much already!

Roseann

Comments

• Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Hi Roseann, I too had a
    Hi Roseann, I too had a lumpectomy. I don't remember that first mammo afterwards as being too awful. At least not amy more than usual! Try not to worry to much. If it does prove to be too painful, I would ask them to stop. Good luck.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Sorry, no experience
    but please let me know how it goes! I had my lumpectomy on October 12th, and am scheduled for a mammogram on December 4th.

Good luck with yours!!!!
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Hi Roesann
    Just be sure to mention to the tech that you are still tender. Mine were always understanding and kept asking me if everything was ok.

Jadie<3
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Jadie said:

Hi Roesann
    Just be sure to mention to the tech that you are still tender. Mine were always understanding and kept asking me if everything was ok.

Jadie<3</p>

Mammo............
    I am going to do it this week..........or next...whatever. I had lumpectomy dec 07 and mine is still very painful, but having it get more painful and found more lumps I guess I have to bite the bullet.. here goes
    jxxxx
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    7 yrs after the lumpectomy,
    7 yrs after the lumpectomy, my affected boob is still tender~ and I have had numerous mammos in that time! They have not been very painful~ and of course I tell the tech that I am tender from the lumpectomy. I have heard that we can take Tylenol before we go to the appointment to take the edge off, but you might want to check with your Dr about that.

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    mammo
    I had my lumpectomy in January 2009, finished rads in April and had my first post treatment mammo in July. I told the tech of my fears and found out she was also a survivor. It was one of the easier mammos I've had--and I was scared Too.

Maureen
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member

mammo
    I had my lumpectomy in January 2009, finished rads in April and had my first post treatment mammo in July. I told the tech of my fears and found out she was also a survivor. It was one of the easier mammos I've had--and I was scared Too.

Maureen

I was a little worried about
    I was a little worried about my first mammo. I have never had much trouble with them and my breasts were not particularly sore but it was the first and I wasn't sure what to expect. It was just fine. The tech was very good and did them with a minimum of discomfort. I had two views of each and then they did some to look at an area of concern but it went very well. And yes, Tylenol about an hour before can be very helpful. I had to come back to meet with the tech and have an ultrasound but it was all good. Sigh of relief.
    Stef
  • PamAnn1
    PamAnn1 Member Posts: 3
    Roseann, I, too, was
    Roseann, I, too, was extremely nervous about my six month mammogram after lumpectomy. I was very pleasantly surprised with the small amount of pain. In fact, the doctors still hurt me more with their exams that the mammogram did! Good luck! I think you will be fine.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Hmmm....double check!
    Hi Roseann...I just wanted to mention that I had a similar situation. I was scheduled 6 months after my surgery to have my first mammo, however, it would only have been 2 months after completing my Rad treatments. When my radiologist got wind of this, he called my Surgical Oncologist and explained that it was too soon after rads and could cause damage. The norm if you have rads should be 6 months from completion of rad treatment, not surgery. Question your radiologist and ask what they think. You may need to reschedule. Let us know what happens. Pammy
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Akiss4me said:

Hmmm....double check!
    Hi Roseann...I just wanted to mention that I had a similar situation. I was scheduled 6 months after my surgery to have my first mammo, however, it would only have been 2 months after completing my Rad treatments. When my radiologist got wind of this, he called my Surgical Oncologist and explained that it was too soon after rads and could cause damage. The norm if you have rads should be 6 months from completion of rad treatment, not surgery. Question your radiologist and ask what they think. You may need to reschedule. Let us know what happens. Pammy

I am not to have my first
    I am not to have my first mammogram until 6 months after radiation. I don't know if that is the norm or not, but, you might ask. Good luck if you have it soon. I am sure the tech's will be gentle with you. And, if you can't do it, just stop it and wait for another time.

Leeza
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    jnl said:

I am not to have my first
    I am not to have my first mammogram until 6 months after radiation. I don't know if that is the norm or not, but, you might ask. Good luck if you have it soon. I am sure the tech's will be gentle with you. And, if you can't do it, just stop it and wait for another time.

Leeza

Thanks everyone!
    Leeza and Pammy,
    It is very odd but my surgeon said 6 months after my radiation. My oncologist made the appt. for me and said she wanted one 6 months after my surgery. I finished rads in early Aug. I will definately mention it to the radiologist. The last thing I need is damage to my already slash and burned right boobie.

Monday is the big day at 9am. I'll let you know how it goes or if it doesn't.

Roseann
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    roseann4 said:

Thanks everyone!
    Leeza and Pammy,
    It is very odd but my surgeon said 6 months after my radiation. My oncologist made the appt. for me and said she wanted one 6 months after my surgery. I finished rads in early Aug. I will definately mention it to the radiologist. The last thing I need is damage to my already slash and burned right boobie.

Roseann

Hey Roseann! I was also
    Hey Roseann! I was also told 6 months after I finish radiation treatments. Good luck!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    susie09 said:

Hey Roseann! I was also
    Hey Roseann! I was also told 6 months after I finish radiation treatments. Good luck!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

I haven't had my first one
    I haven't had my first one yet Roseann. My oncologist wants to wait for 6 months also after my rads. I am afraid too, as I am sure everyone is. But, I bet the radiologist's are kind and gentle with us. And, if I don't feel ready yet to have one, I will postpone it until I do. Good luck to you!

Debby
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I always let them know...
    And the techs are VERY gentle with me. One said 'our cancer survivors are VERY special people for us, we treat them as well as we can, even tho sometimes we know we much cause some discomfort'.

Hugs, Kathi
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    roseann4 said:

Thanks everyone!
    Leeza and Pammy,

Roseann

FWIW
    I had my first 6 months after the surgery which made it 4 months after rads--it was fine.

Maureen
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    KathiM said:

I always let them know...
    And the techs are VERY gentle with me. One said 'our cancer survivors are VERY special people for us, we treat them as well as we can, even tho sometimes we know we much cause some discomfort'.

Hugs, Kathi

One of the good things I
    One of the good things I found out at the cancer center where I will have my first mammo at is that they tell you right away if your mammo is alright or not. There is no waiting. They read it right after you have it done. They do this only for bc survivors. I thought this was great.

Debby