Chemo before surgery

Jean Schicke
Jean Schicke Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My 41 year old daughter was diagnosed with stage one, triple negative breast cancer in the left breast two weeks ago. She is in the process of making a decision whether she should have a bi-lateral masectomy first and then get one of two chemos known to work for triple negative or receive two doses of chemo and watch the tumor to see if it has decreased in size. Designated bi-lateral breast MRI's and sonograms show no additional tumors in her left breast, no tumors in the right breast and nothing in the lymph nodes. She has been told that only a biopsy or removal of the lymph nodes will prove them to be cancer-free. She is concerned with leaving the tumor in tact while she is receiving chemo for fear of it spreaing but there is comfort in knowing if she receives the chemo first the tumor can be tracked to see if it is shrinking and the medicine is doing it's job. If the first medicine isn't working she will receive the second. Any experience with this?

Comments

• sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    I am the same as your
    I am the same as your daughter except mine is on the right side and we do know it is in one lymph node cuz it is quite swoolen. I am having Chemo first then surgery followed with more chemo and radiation. One of the good things about chemo first is if there are any cancer cells floating around in my body this will kill them off. I think this is the best route because I don't want it spreading to other organs. I am also participating in a clinical trial. The one I am doing the treatment is the same as the conventional treatment but adds extra drugs which I think is great.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    I had the same
    I had chemo before surgery also for the same reason. It makes sense to me. In my case the tumor was big enough to feel from the outside, so it was easy to tell right away that the drugs the Dr. chose were working. If the tumor had been removed before chemo there would have been no way to be certain it was working. If it works on the tumor, most likely it works on any unseen cancer cells floating around, so it should shrink in other areas too, not spread. I think doing chemo before surgery is becoming more and more common because it is easier for the Dr. to be sure the particular drugs he/she is using are working on the individual patient. It is also common practice to remove lymph nodes to test for cancer there. Usually one, or a few "sentinel" nodes are removed and tested. If they are cancer free it can be assumed that the rest are too. It sounds like her Doctors are taking good care of your daugter. It also sounds like she is blessed with a Mom who knows where to go for help. This site is good. Always ask your Dr. any questions you have. If she is doing chemo, you can go to chemocare.com to look up specific drugs and their side effects.

Keep up the good work. seof
  • Jean Schicke
    Jean Schicke Member Posts: 2
    seof said:

I had the same
    I had chemo before surgery also for the same reason. It makes sense to me. In my case the tumor was big enough to feel from the outside, so it was easy to tell right away that the drugs the Dr. chose were working. If the tumor had been removed before chemo there would have been no way to be certain it was working. If it works on the tumor, most likely it works on any unseen cancer cells floating around, so it should shrink in other areas too, not spread. I think doing chemo before surgery is becoming more and more common because it is easier for the Dr. to be sure the particular drugs he/she is using are working on the individual patient. It is also common practice to remove lymph nodes to test for cancer there. Usually one, or a few "sentinel" nodes are removed and tested. If they are cancer free it can be assumed that the rest are too. It sounds like her Doctors are taking good care of your daugter. It also sounds like she is blessed with a Mom who knows where to go for help. This site is good. Always ask your Dr. any questions you have. If she is doing chemo, you can go to chemocare.com to look up specific drugs and their side effects.

Keep up the good work. seof

Chemo before surgery
    Hi Susan,
    Thank you so much for your reply. If I understand correctly you had chemo and then surgery? My daughter has seen a team of doctors at the University of Chicago and the surgeon/oncologists is suggesting chemo first to track the tumor. I think we need to ask more questions. I want to believe they have my daughter's interests at heart and not using her outcome as a statistic. She got a 2nd opinion from another oncologists and was told that there is not enought study to show what effect changing medicines (should the tumor not be responding) in the middle of treatment could produce. Conflicting messages are tough. Any response is appreciated.

Jean
  • Lynda53
    Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
    Mine is chemo first
    I have

Mine is chemo first
    I have ibc. The chemo (taxotere) greatly reduced the swelling. My breast was more than 2x it's size and painful, never mind so distorted. I had to stop tax as it affected my breathing but 2 treatments shrunk the crap.
    Tests show no other cancer in the body. I will have a mastectomy as soon as my heart issues are fixed, and I also have some lymph nodes to be removed.
    I feel the chemo first was def needed for my IBC.
    Positive vibes and good healing prayers to yours.
    Peace
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Biopsies had confirmed that
    Biopsies had confirmed that there was indeed cancer and in the lymph nodes and as it was IBC (very aggressive form) I had chemo (A/C) first to shrink it as was quite large and surgeon said that unless shrunk (and got good margins) he could not get it all. There was no question that the A/C shrunk it drastically and got good margins - I could see it and feel it shrink a LOT. After 4 doses of A/C 2 weeks apart, I had a mod. rad. mastectomy almost 5 weeks ago and am now on Taxol for 12 weekly doses which will be followed but rads.

Neither surgeon nor oncologist felt there was reason to do bi-lateral so didn't.

Susan
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Rague said:

Biopsies had confirmed that
    Biopsies had confirmed that there was indeed cancer and in the lymph nodes and as it was IBC (very aggressive form) I had chemo (A/C) first to shrink it as was quite large and surgeon said that unless shrunk (and got good margins) he could not get it all. There was no question that the A/C shrunk it drastically and got good margins - I could see it and feel it shrink a LOT. After 4 doses of A/C 2 weeks apart, I had a mod. rad. mastectomy almost 5 weeks ago and am now on Taxol for 12 weekly doses which will be followed but rads.

Neither surgeon nor oncologist felt there was reason to do bi-lateral so didn't.

Susan

Jean, just want to wish your
    Jean, just want to wish your daughter the best of luck. As you can see, many have chemo first to shrink the tumor and there are so many different kinds of chemo that they can give her. If you ever feel that you need more advice or are not comfortable with what you are told, seek a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. Good luck!

KYLEZ ♥
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Kylez said:

Jean, just want to wish your
    Jean, just want to wish your daughter the best of luck. As you can see, many have chemo first to shrink the tumor and there are so many different kinds of chemo that they can give her. If you ever feel that you need more advice or are not comfortable with what you are told, seek a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. Good luck!

KYLEZ ♥

chemo first
    I too am having chemo first...tumor in one breast and about inch around. The meds working so far and tumor virtually gone. I had two opinions about treatment, one wanted to do chemo after lumpectomy. I felt chemo first was the way to go..its less breast to take and it gets meds in your system and kills any cancer cells and attacks the tumor. I am getting treatment and one of the top treatment centers in the country and they have been wonderful. I completely trust their course of treatment. If you dont feel you have enough info, you should get another opinion..hope this helps. Good luck..
    Sam
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Sam726 said:

chemo first
    I too am having chemo first...tumor in one breast and about inch around. The meds working so far and tumor virtually gone. I had two opinions about treatment, one wanted to do chemo after lumpectomy. I felt chemo first was the way to go..its less breast to take and it gets meds in your system and kills any cancer cells and attacks the tumor. I am getting treatment and one of the top treatment centers in the country and they have been wonderful. I completely trust their course of treatment. If you dont feel you have enough info, you should get another opinion..hope this helps. Good luck..
    Sam

Good luck to your daughter
    Good luck to your daughter Jean. Like the others said, if you don't feel right about this, get another opinion.